VOIP lag on outgoing calls

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
jaymes1

Re: VOIP lag on outgoing calls

Post by jaymes1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:22 am

Wednesday night and things have improved dramatically since doing what I mentioned earlier, but still get the occassional lag (only a couple of secs though and nothing like it was), I can live with it the way it is even though it's not perfect.

bilal

Post by bilal » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:13 pm

Just got a shocking ~6s silence on a number I thought was starting to behave.

Twice in a row.

mvs

Post by mvs » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:28 pm

I've made numerous calls over the last two days and every call has been perfect. Also since I change the codec to G.711a a couple of weeks ago I've noticed the quality has been excellent. Fingers crossed....

bilal

Post by bilal » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:23 pm

Again erratic behaviour here.

We had 1 call this morning that lagged, and then 1 call this evening (a normally problematic number) which went through fine.

the_aph

Post by the_aph » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:29 pm

Have followed the newer instructions, (port forwarding and changing the codec) 2 weeks ago. Still have trouble with about 40% of calls laging with all 3 Dynalink Modems. This is a Joke, how can they continue to sell a modem that doesn't work with their own VOIP service?

Rob

bilal

Post by bilal » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:35 pm

Hi Rob,

Just curious - have you logged any support tickets with Exetel? If so, how far did you get?

It just seems that Exetel have refused to acknowledge it as a problem on their end, stating that either they can't reproduce the problem (by calling one of numbers I called, once or twice - what a joke), or to follow up with Dynalink/Netcomm. "We just sell the things" (roughly quoted)

I'm currently using my RTA1046VW for the purposes of testing, but I've reached a stage where I almost can't be stuffed any more. I mean, I want to follow up, but I just haven't the time or energy, and would rather probably just plug the PAP2T back in. Haven't gotten around to that either.

Regards,
Bilal
the_aph wrote:Have followed the newer instructions, (port forwarding and changing the codec) 2 weeks ago. Still have trouble with about 40% of calls laging with all 3 Dynalink Modems. This is a Joke, how can they continue to sell a modem that doesn't work with their own VOIP service?

Rob

Netmage

Post by Netmage » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:55 pm

Add me to the list of people with this exact problem.

I've been installing these Dynalink's for a few exetel customers and this problem has been the norm and i'm sick of using lame excuses deriding VOIP as a cheap n nasty option and people putting up with it cause its "cheap".

I may have stumbled on the solution after reading what everyone else has tried here.

In the Sip Extension Settings of the Dynalink change the "Send Telephone Events via" to Voice Codec.

This shouldn't work but exetel's Voip must have the option allowed.

I've rebooted the modem several times and made a series of test calls for good results.

Please let me know if its the solution

bilal

Post by bilal » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:05 pm

Netmage wrote:I've rebooted the modem several times and made a series of test calls for good results.
Just wondering - what test window are you talking about? A few hours? A day? A week?

Reason I'm asking is due to the nature of the problem being intermittent.

Trying to contain false hope...

the_aph

Post by the_aph » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Yes logger support tickets multiple times, have had support log into modem remotely on a number of occasions. It's been of no help and I've been spun the same line about them just selling the things. I'm feeling the same way you are. These modem are running on both adsl2+ and 8M adsl 1 with both cordless and fixed line phones. All have the same problem.

bilal wrote:Hi Rob,

Just curious - have you logged any support tickets with Exetel? If so, how far did you get?

It just seems that Exetel have refused to acknowledge it as a problem on their end, stating that either they can't reproduce the problem (by calling one of numbers I called, once or twice - what a joke), or to follow up with Dynalink/Netcomm. "We just sell the things" (roughly quoted)

I'm currently using my RTA1046VW for the purposes of testing, but I've reached a stage where I almost can't be stuffed any more. I mean, I want to follow up, but I just haven't the time or energy, and would rather probably just plug the PAP2T back in. Haven't gotten around to that either.

Regards,
Bilal
the_aph wrote:Have followed the newer instructions, (port forwarding and changing the codec) 2 weeks ago. Still have trouble with about 40% of calls laging with all 3 Dynalink Modems. This is a Joke, how can they continue to sell a modem that doesn't work with their own VOIP service?

Rob

Netmage

Post by Netmage » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:12 pm

bilal wrote:Just wondering - what test window are you talking about? A few hours? A day? A week?
The test window was about 12 hours with atleast 10 restarts and probably not comprehensive but since this problem was so predictable and as i'd be lucky to restart the modem once a month for any other reason I posted the info here hoping for followup by others.

bilal

Post by bilal » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:50 pm

the_aph wrote:Yes logger support tickets multiple times, have had support log into modem remotely on a number of occasions. It's been of no help and I've been spun the same line about them just selling the things. I'm feeling the same way you are. These modem are running on both adsl2+ and 8M adsl 1 with both cordless and fixed line phones. All have the same problem.
Ahh.. *sigh*. Probably time to start whipping up a stink on WP.

dweeks

Post by dweeks » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:29 pm

I recently set up my parents with Exetel ADSL 1 and they bought this dodgy Dynalink RTA1046VW. After setting up VoIP, they were faced with this delay problem, which basically means VoIP is useless, because people they call just hang up on them!

If only Exetel had still been selling the NetComm NB9W, which both my brother and I have been using with VoIP for over a year with great success...

shanec2

Post by shanec2 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:22 pm

After 7 pages on the forum interesting that no solution has been achieved. I'm still having the issue and have been trying everything suggested. I note no other brand of modem has the issue, seems to just be a fault with Dynalink - guess I'll be swithcing brands which is a little disappointing given I purchased the Dynalink with my ADSL package through Exetel.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:36 pm

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps on this page
http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_wiz.php
I see that the page was updated today as well.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

jpm

Post by jpm » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:09 pm

Wow, I hope that was some kind of really bad joke. 7 pages of complaints and rather than looking at what's been attempted to resolve this specific problem, you direct me to a generic troobleshooting page that isn't working...

Not real funny.

I'm on my 2nd dynalink rta1046vw, first DOA, 2nd has intermittent problem of lag(which no-one has been able to offer any resolution to), now it wont pass through outbound PSTN call, and inbound PSTN calls echo and are such poor quality that you can't carry on a conversation.

Exetel might just be retailing them but they are junk.

I will again contact Dynalink support and see what they say this time.