VOIP lag on outgoing calls

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
JasonM

Re: VOIP lag on outgoing calls

Post by JasonM » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:10 am

jok11n wrote:
JasonM wrote:
This is an interesting note - does anyone else echo this experience?
Thus far I can only find instances of other users with the same device with different ISPs and a different VoIP provider suffering the same issue.
the silence at the beginning of calls has affected some Pennytel users previously, different ATA but similar symptoms, eg 10 seconds of silence, call answered in 2 seconds gives 8 seconds of silence, answered in 6 seconds gives 4 seconds of silence, answered after 10 seconds no silence, this could sometimes occur without the caller getting any progress tones at all so to all intents and purposes the caller may think the call was yet to actually connect and start ringing and could have already been answered, I don't know that there was any relationship or not but it seemed more apparent or at least more frequently reported on overseas calls
I've disabled progress tones on the test server - it's the next logical conclusion based on the information available.
I'm able to add more users for testing if any one is able to reproduce the issue in some sort of consistent manner.

bilal

Post by bilal » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:34 am

JasonM wrote:... different ATA but similar symptoms, eg 10 seconds of silence, call answered in 2 seconds gives 8 seconds of silence, answered in 6 seconds gives 4 seconds of silence, answered after 10 seconds no silence, ...
Would probably be a good thing(tm) to start counting the number of rings or seconds before someone answers. Forgot about that.

Dabront

Post by Dabront » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:44 am

This problem effects users with various ISP's on MyNetFone. A friend of mine has this issue and it occurs on landlines and mobiles and seems to connect OK after 10 seconds of ringing. Are there similarities between Exetel's VoIP set up and MNF's that the Dynalink doesn't like?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:51 am

Dabront wrote:This problem effects users with various ISP's on MyNetFone. A friend of mine has this issue and it occurs on landlines and mobiles and seems to connect OK after 10 seconds of ringing. Are there similarities between Exetel's VoIP set up and MNF's that the Dynalink doesn't like?
Possibly the progress tones - it involves an RTP audio stream providing the initial ringing, and then when the call is answered, the RTP stream appears to continue. Perhaps the issue is a mismatch during the change of RTP audio from progress tones to voice.

turbora28

Post by turbora28 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:18 pm

Maybe I can assist with testing as i'm having the problem consistently.
02xxxxxxxx is my username with exetel

Phone number removed by Gidget

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:05 pm

turbora28 wrote:Maybe I can assist with testing as i'm having the problem consistently.
<removed> is my username with exetel
Are you having the problem with every call, to certain national numbers only, to mobiles only - or is it an every call thing?

And of course - this is with the Dynalink RTA1046VW, correct?

If so - please enable remote access on your modem and PM me the details.

turbora28

Post by turbora28 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:10 pm

I do have the RTA1046vw router. It happens on all national calls, unless it rings for a long time before the person picks up then it seems ok. I haven't noticed it on mobile calls as much.

How do i enable remote access? I can see the setup for it, but do you need http, telnet etc?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Turbora, In the Management section of the Dynalink, Under Management Control, tick/fill the boxes Allow remote access by Web Browser on Port 80, and press the Apply button. (ie, http access)

This will enable a staff member to login to the unit exactly as you do. If security issues worry you, change the admin password to a non-default value first. Then privately send the login name and password to staff. They already know your internet address from your account number. When it's all over, untick the box. You need not change the password back, if you changed it.

turbora28

Post by turbora28 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:47 pm

Ok thats done, so who do I PM the username/pass to?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:08 pm

turbora28 wrote:Ok thats done, so who do I PM the username/pass to?
Look at the 3rd last post before yours:
JasonM wrote:
turbora28 wrote:Maybe I can assist with testing as i'm having the problem consistently.
<removed> is my username with exetel
Are you having the problem with every call, to certain national numbers only, to mobiles only - or is it an every call thing?

And of course - this is with the Dynalink RTA1046VW, correct?

If so - please enable remote access on your modem and PM me the details.
Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

turbora28

Post by turbora28 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:43 pm

pm sent :)

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:12 pm

turbora28 wrote:pm sent :)
bilal has been kind enough to continue testing, and the issue continues..

I'm looking at reconfiguring the test server soon to completely disable progress tones, and then we can ascertain if this is causing the issue.

Thus far:-
It's not Exetel VoIP specific.
It's not provider specific (another VoIP provider has the issue).
It's only occurring with the Dynalink RTA1046VW

I'll respond to your PM shortly turbora28.

bilal

Post by bilal » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:17 am

JasonM wrote:bilal has been kind enough to continue testing, and the issue continues..
Takes a few to tango.

the_aph

Post by the_aph » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm happy to help with any testing. I've got 3 of these modems ( I've replaced them all with billions out of frustration ), but would like to help get them working with exetel VOIP. I don't really like have $450 worth of hardware just sitting here collecting dust.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:07 pm

the_aph wrote:I'm happy to help with any testing. I've got 3 of these modems ( I've replaced them all with billions out of frustration ), but would like to help get them working with exetel VOIP. I don't really like have $450 worth of hardware just sitting here collecting dust.
I'm confident removing the Progress Tones has resolved this issue - bilal hasn't reported any further calls that have failed.