VOIP lag on outgoing calls

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
vkrickles

Re: VOIP lag on outgoing calls

Post by vkrickles » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:52 pm

Have been using the Dynalink modem and Exetel VOIP since October 2008 and had the voice lagging almost from the start. I have been following the forum hoping for a solution. Have not applied any of the firmware upgrades as yet. The situation had settled down somewhat since Christmas, but we have noticed an increase in "the Lag" over the last few weeks.
It seems to be worse on local calls and less so on "STD" calls. Our experience with overseas calls has been excellent.
My experience with Xlite is limited, but have not experienced the same delay issues.
I pass these comments on just to add to the wealth of experiences already expressed here and to point out that there are probably many of us silently waiting for a solution.
We are extremely happy with Exetel's services, but this Dynalink VOIP issue is becoming a concern.

mvs

Post by mvs » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:39 pm

marting wrote:
What client do you use? I get delays with X-Lite all the time. Perhaps it's a client and not service problem
I'm only using the Dynalink (RTA1046VW) - no idea what X-Lite is....Just to reiterate, the only problems we have is the lag with local calls. Everything else is perfect.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Keep a log of the calls - date, time and when the lag started, and stopped.

If you are able to, Xlite is a softphone (runs on your PC), do you also have the issue with Xlite?

the_aph

Post by the_aph » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:45 am

I have upgraded to the beta firmware.

http://www.exetel.com.au/files/cfe-rta1 ... pb023k.zip

I have been running it on multiple routers for a week now and it seems to have resolved the lag problem. Occasionally when changing router setting after installing the new firmware it locks up on reboot, but nothing a power cycle can't fix. For those that haven't tried it yet, I strong recommend you do.

Rob

pandyam

Post by pandyam » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:24 am

Martin V wrote:Could every try using 58.96.1.2 instead of sip1.exetel.com.au it seems that it worked for some people.
Ah thanks Martin....
I almost spend 4 hrs for fixing my outgoing on new VoIP, DNS for sip1.exetel.com.au dont seem to work.. so I used IP as you suggeste and vola... :)

saviour.. :roll:
Thanks & regards,
PM

marting

Post by marting » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:08 am

JasonM wrote:This issue is specific to the Dynalink modem - are all Dynalink users also having the issue with Xlite?
So during the holidays I installed a new client called Express Talk and the delays in the call disappeared. So I'm fairly confident it's an XLite problem when using a soft phone. The call quality is reasonably good, about equivalent to a PSTN line. The quality of a skype call (to PSTN) is slightly better but the exetel voip is fine.

Wazzaf

Post by Wazzaf » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:41 pm

Hello Friends

I have been following this thread constantly since I joined Exetel in January 2009 as an old and experienced old f**t.

In researching what I should do and who should I sign up as a Provider I received some extremely good help from the forum and in particular from Dazzled.
See thread : http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=293&t=30295

I chose to go with the Dynalink modem aware that at the time there were issues with VOIP lag on outgoing calls for the following reasons:
1 I assumed that as this was the modem recommended by Exetel that is it was the wisest one to choose (IE it would work properly with VOIP).
2 Although there were issues I assumed they were not insurmountable and would be resolved.

Boy was I so so wrong.

Even after applying all the suggestions including the lastest Firmware patch, I still experience the delays voiced by so many people.

It is very embarrasing to say the least when people hang up on you and them you ring back several times before you get to talk to them and then you try to mumble an apology and expain that it is your VOIP Service and that you really are trying to ring them.

I guess what I am really trying to get to is that in spite of the best efforts of JasonM that nothing is changing and there still exists a BASIC PROBLEM THAT IS RECOGNISED..... IE THE MODEM ? IS NOT DOING WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO.

I certainly cannot afford to buy a new modem and throw away the Dynalink modem.

BUT

Am I supposed to just throw my hands in the air and say stiff bikkies I have been had (read that as my money has been stolen with a modem that does not do what it is supposed to do).

In time is this thread expected just to die a natural death with everyone giving the finger to a solution. Have a good look, we are are now at Page 19 !!!, how many threads are this large !!!!. 277 Posts , 6353 Views. !!!!!

IS IT JUST ME SHOWING ETERNAL FRUSTRATION ?

Thank you for the patience in reading this long reply

Cheers

PS It was my Easter wish that this would be resolved but , SIGH , it was not to be.

Should I just wait until I expire !!!. and then I will not need my modem any more.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:13 pm

Thanks Wazzaf. What has me perplexed about this issue is that about 6 months ago I set up one of these for another old f**t in regional NSW with a Sydney DID, and warned him too. His unit has the fault, but it only lasts for about 1 second, so it doesn't really matter to him. I offered to put in the new firmware, but he doesn't want it. There seems to be no obvious reason why some installations are worse than others. You can always put in a separate ATA, but that seems to me to be an expense you should not need.

criten

Post by criten » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Heh, just thought I'd mention my own RTA1046VW which was running 3.64m now faults every time. I changed the firmware versions and performed a factory reset several times, still faults every time. I also have this other trouble with it, where it locks practically once per week.

The lack of communication from Netcomm isn't exactly helpful

Anyone who is disgruntled over the matter - feel most welcome to e-mail TechnicalSupport@netcomm.com.au about the issue.

Wazzaf

Post by Wazzaf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi Dazzled

I have calmed down a bit since last night , so will probably change my wishlist to Christmas LOL.

Very frustrating tho as even today I rang a direct line to Geelong Council and three times they hung up as the delay was too long and they thought no one was there and I ended up having to ring the Council on their main line and have the Operator transfer me.

Will just have to keep checking.

Cheers
Last edited by Wazzaf on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:28 pm

Wazzaf,
Can you please try Xlite (a softphone) and confirm if you get the same issue using a softphone?

Wazzaf

Post by Wazzaf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:48 pm

OK JasonM, will do. Pls give me a day or so to get organised

Cheers

bilal

Post by bilal » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:21 am

I've been losing emails (DomainCentral going down) so I thought this problem was dead since I wasn't getting the usual thread subscription reminders.

Seems like people are still having issues... Mine seems to have calmed down and, although I haven't had the call volume to verify, the usual "normal" frequency of issues is absent.

I hope that means something. I'm on firmware 3.64m. Has anything changed VoIP service-side? Tweaks? Upgrades? Provider changes?

My modem is still set up in between the RTA & 'net, but I'm yet to "catch" a seriously bad call.

Meanwhile, here's an I/O graph of one call which I think there was some delay. This has been a while back, but with the same 3.64 firmware. Captured 31/3/09, if I'm not mistaken:

Red is incoming, Blue outgoing, Black total. You can see the blue trough for outgoing packets. The following is a voice decoding of the same call in the above graph:

But somehow I always get the flat line piece on calls when decoded by wireshark, even one in which we (both call parties) don't perceive there to be any lag. This particular call definately has lag, but not as long as some others. I've got the .cap file with the range of packets as in the graphics above. Jason: I'll PM you the link.

bilal

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:33 am

bilal,
Was that packet capture audio loss? Of around ... 2 seconds ? Or was it longer?

Wazzaf

Post by Wazzaf » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi JasonM

Installed XLite and although I havent tested on a lot of calls, so far this is what I have got for today :

Melbourne call 03 9346 7xxx

XLite No delay, comment was that there was a click after about 1/2 second and OK from there on
Uniden house phone Delay on anything up to 3,4,5 seconds

Geelong call 5229 2xxx

XLite No delay, comment was that the call was clear and all OK
Uniden house phone Delay of at least an estimated 3 seconds

Local Ocean Grove call 5251 1xxx

Xlite No delay, comment was that it was just like a normal call
Uniden house phone Delay was enough for them to hang up on me first time I called, Then delay was estimated to be 3-5 seconds

With XLite I was using a Logitec A-0356A Headset which has an inbuilt microphone

Thats about it so far.

How else can I Help?

Cheers