VOIP lag on outgoing calls

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
bilal

Re: VOIP lag on outgoing calls

Post by bilal » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:43 pm

JasonM wrote:bilal,
Was that packet capture audio loss? Of around ... 2 seconds ? Or was it longer?
About 2 seconds, perhaps. Called party missed the first "hello".

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:44 pm

I believe I have identified the issue - however, I need confirmation. The packet capture supplied by bilal is very helpful.

I'm hoping for a similar capture to confirm the findings - I don't play the audio - only look at the packet content, so another capture would be nice, with an idea of the 'delay' found.

Oh, our posts overlapped - 2 seconds is what I can calculate the error length in the packet capture as. I want to send this information to Netcomm, but another capture confirming those findings would be ideal. I've asked criten also to see if he has a capture we can look into.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:31 pm

For EVERYONE experiencing "lag" or "silence" upon connection ... Where you can hear them saying "hello? hello? but they can't hear you for 2-3 seconds ...

Change your SIP address to 58.96.1.2 instead of sip1.exetel.com.au

I was working fine with the numbers, then I upgraded to the latest firmware. I couldn't remember the numbers and felt lazy so I used the words. Problem on every 2-3 calls. No distinct pattern (local/std etc) but I noticed it didn't happen when I dialled another exetel voip service. Was kicking myself for upgrading firmware when I didn't need to.

Then I read about the sip1.etc vs 58.etc problem. I changed back to the numbers and voila problem solved. Now am humming along nicely again.

Hopefully this will fix most of the problems out there.

As an aside, I have manually entered the DNS into my modem rather than using the "autodetect" as I started getting problems after the big downtime week about a month ago. Again, no problems since (even when I heard others were having problems - got them to change their settings and the problem disappeared).

Wazzaf

Post by Wazzaf » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:00 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm peterh_oz

I am envious.

I have been using a combination of 58.96.1.2 and sip1.exetel.com.au but alas no difference for me. I will take on board your Karma (Fantastic) and see if that helps. At least it might get my better half off my case, LOL.

Cheers

bilal

Post by bilal » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:34 pm

peterh_oz wrote:For EVERYONE experiencing "lag" or "silence" upon connection ... Where you can hear them saying "hello? hello? but they can't hear you for 2-3 seconds ...

Change your SIP address to 58.96.1.2 instead of sip1.exetel.com.au
Doesn't make sense (to me) how DNS should be a problem, but glad to hear that it's seemed to have helped you.

firay

Post by firay » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:41 pm

my 'dear wife' has reported to me that she has not experienced the delay issue for a week or so now......However there was an issue when calling the local Eagle Boys pizza and the call going through to the wrong store and no one picking it up till i got to the local and they had no record of our order....... :oops: lol

As a note i am using 58.96.1.2 and have all the time, also on the 3.64m firmware. As mentioned earlier i don't feel its a DNS error either. To my limited knowledge it seems like some sort of handshake error, or packet headers issue. :? (i did say limited knowledge)
:| Just cross fingers and hope it lasts.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:49 pm

Firay, does the pizza shop use a 13xxxx number? These use your phone ID to divert to the nearest shop........ But the domicile of your and my VoIP number is Verizon, Sydney.

Edit: 13 1433!! Nuff said.

David1

Post by David1 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:53 am

Like many others, I have been reading these posts hoping to find the solution to my VOIP lag issue. None of the suggestions to date that have assisted some other users have helped me to resolve my issue.

Basically I had two issues using my Dynalink RTA1046VW (firmware version 3.63u) ;

a/ 5-10 second delay when making outgoing calls
b/ Unable to leave answering machine messages on outgoing calls

Firmware upgrade to 3.64m fixed issue b/ but not issue a/

** Good news ** (and I hope this will help everyone else too). I contacted Dynalink this morning and was informed of a new firmware version 3.64y (not yet officially released) that addresses about six issues (specific details not given). The tech basically said that the VOIP lag issue is a software issue and that it should be address in this latest firmware version.

I have installed this new firmware version and both my issues above were resolved.
I will continue using/testing my VOIP service but am confident it is resolved.

I am unable to upload the latest firmware due to the size limit, please use the link below or contact Dynalink directly.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag03cd5 ... y_a2pb025c
1. click "Download for free with FileFactory Basic",
2. enter download code displayed,
3. click "click here to download for free with Filefactory Basic"

Hope this helps

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue May 19, 2009 11:05 am

Can anyone else report success with the firmware?

You can fetch it without the need for prompts here: http://home.exetel.com.au/speedtest/cfe ... y_a2pb025c

criten

Post by criten » Tue May 19, 2009 6:34 pm

Thanks for the firmware David, and thanks for mirroring it Jason

Installed, performed the factory reset, tested VoIP as working.

Once again I stress the factory reset from the modems configuration page is absolutely necessary... my modem was acting quite odd till I did that tonight. Wouldn't let me change PVC/Internet connection settings at all. Strange that Netcomm added TR-069 remote firmware management... umm, WHY?!

About a month back my modem completely locked, it took many power cycles to get HTTP to work. I tried every firmware I had on hand... 3.63z, 3.63u, 3.64m... all of 'em, the VoIP faulted on every call. I've only made one call since upgrading, but I'm impressed that its worked - since it wasn't working at all, previously.

I'll post in a couple weeks and confirm the success - the issue appears to be somewhat intermittent

bilal

Post by bilal » Tue May 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Not too important, but: I think something's wrong with this firmware's SNTP feature.

My timezone's set, and I've put in clock.exetel.com.au and another local device (my temporary gateway / packet capturer) but the date remains incorrect, as the time.

Code: Select all

> sntp date
Thu Jan  1 00:28:12 1970
> sntp -s clock.exetel.com.au -t "Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney"
(lights go red, etc)
> sntp date
Thu Jan  1 00:28:40 1970
>
on another machine:

root@dlink:~# ntpdate clock.exetel.com.au
19 May 12:20:58 ntpdate[6163]: adjust time server 220.233.0.50 offset -0.014812 sec
root@dlink:~#
On reboot, nothing happens. Time reverts to epoch. Also, there are no (s)ntp packets going in any direction in packet captures, on reboot or manual update (sip, dns packets going through as per normal)

Edit: Might add, I'm running through the LAN - not using the device's modem - and I've set the static routes, etc (SIP is working). And a ping:

> ping clock.exetel.com.au
PING neway.exetel.com.au (220.233.0.50): 32 data bytes
32 bytes from 220.233.0.50: icmp_seq=1 ttl=61 time=45.0 ms
32 bytes from 220.233.0.50: icmp_seq=2 ttl=61 time=40.0 ms
32 bytes from 220.233.0.50: icmp_seq=3 ttl=61 time=40.0 ms

--- neway.exetel.com.au ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 40.0/41.6/45.0 ms
>
Does anyone here have contact with netcomm with respect to the "y" firmware?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue May 19, 2009 10:34 pm

What happens when you use the IP address instead?

bilal

Post by bilal » Tue May 19, 2009 10:40 pm

JasonM wrote:What happens when you use the IP address instead?
Same. Also, on the web ui it shows 2009/01/01, + time since reboot, and on the CLI it shows epoch time+.

bilal

Post by bilal » Sun May 24, 2009 12:02 am

I had an incident again with this new firmware now.

It seems to mainly occur with a particular number, although they claim that it only happens when we call them.

That's number's running an AAPT over Telstra service. I know AAPT do some funny things with their network... internal IP kind of thing.

I think since the "m" firmware, only this particular number persist to be problematic.

But yeah anyway, I have a call capture which shows ~6 seconds being wiped off the call (about right. missed like 3 hellos).

I've been capturing all my calls since ... 20090424. This particular problem number is perhaps the only one that's really come up as a regular.

So I have all the data to create a "normal" and a "repeat offender" although "repeat offender" is always the same number.

Jason: Has _anything_ changed on Exetel's SIP server since those Asterisk tests you did for me, besides that machine / hardware upgrade?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon May 25, 2009 12:02 pm

I'm not aware of any significant changes. The issue would persist on all numbers due to using the same routes for calls.