VOIP lag on outgoing calls

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
criten

Re: VOIP lag on outgoing calls

Post by criten » Mon May 25, 2009 1:31 pm

VoIP is still working great on my RTA1046VW... I don't believe its faulted once...

Except, on incoming calls it appeared to stop ringing on both ports - twice now. A reboot solved it. Was only ringing on Port 2 - so I ended up moving the important phone that everyone answers, to port 2.

*shrug*

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Wed May 27, 2009 1:45 am

criten wrote:VoIP is still working great on my RTA1046VW... I don't believe its faulted once...

Except, on incoming calls it appeared to stop ringing on both ports - twice now. A reboot solved it. Was only ringing on Port 2 - so I ended up moving the important phone that everyone answers, to port 2.

*shrug*
Criten, what firmware are you using?

Do you mind posting a copy of it here as I never had the problem until I updated the firmware!

bilal

Post by bilal » Wed May 27, 2009 1:47 am

peterh_oz wrote:Do you mind posting a copy of it here as I never had the problem until I updated the firmware!
ouhc.

criten

Post by criten » Fri May 29, 2009 2:57 pm

peterh_oz wrote:Criten, what firmware are you using?
3.64y - available from http://home.exetel.com.au/speedtest/cfe ... y_a2pb025c

Seems I am getting it to fault... some outbound calls there is a one way audio delay. Only lasts about a second though. Still quite usable, barely noticed it

Wazzaf

Post by Wazzaf » Fri May 29, 2009 8:55 pm

Greetings all

Since January 2009, as in my previous posts I have experienced frustrating delays with outgoing calls.

Logged a desperate help plea with NetComm in mid April and their response was quick and supportive ( very pleasantly surprised ).

As a result I installed Firmware uodate V3.64y and since then I have been 100% OK.

Suggest give it a go and yes a Factory reset MUST be done.

For me, this update has worked perfectly and I am now without any issues

Cheers

PS I must thank JasonM and Dazzled for their ongoing support. Fantastic.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:38 am

A mate loaded 3.64y and still has the same lag problems.

I have loaded it and they are yet to appear, however have only made a limited number of calls so who knows?

My mate (who works in IT but is quite new to Exetel) has, with my suggestion, decided to return the RTA1046VW as a faulty device (which it is, due to this problem) and swap for the NB9WMAXX. I will do the same thing if I continue having the same problem.

Hopefully that works better.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:26 am

It'd be good to get another packet capture using 3.64y, to see if the previous identified issue was resolved or not - the information was passed along to Netcomm some time ago..

mattmuir

Post by mattmuir » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:35 pm

What a great update. Finally resolved the call lag issue, which was causing a lot of frustration from my wife, and it was really starting to P me off also.

You MUST do the factory reset thing in order for this to work. So ensure you know your account settings (e.g phone@state.exetel.com.au) & your VoIP password (in the VoIP setup pages).

Thanks Jason for your help in this.

Regards

Matt

mvs

Post by mvs » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:38 pm

I've updated to 3.64y a week ago and its a big failure with regards to correcting the lag problem. This was evident after the first call was made after reentering all settings/resetting and is again intermittent like it was with the u firmware. I look forward to the next severe thunderstorm....

add123

Post by add123 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi there
Same issue have a Dynalink with frustrating long delays, Same as others I did purchase it via Extel's recommendation and they also said to buy the netcomm V210p Voip Telephone Adapter, when my IT guy installed it, he said there was no need for this adapter, but after reading the 21 odd pages of this forum...., at one point I think someone said they plugged in an ATA before the Dynalink and it helped/fixed it. Maybe thats why Exetel recommended buying both> Otherwise thats crap that you are still recommending the Dynalink after 3 or more years of same issue. Can anyone advise if I should plug in the Netcomm V210p confirm this. We are ready to trash VOIP and I have this unopened box that I thought maybe the answer? I am not good at the IT set up, but if the instructions are simple maybe I could try it, or aslong as its not a waste of time and money I will call my IT guy out to add this to the set up?

bilal

Post by bilal » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:43 pm

This issue seems to be on a comback. Perhaps I'm just home more now (uni exam period).

Can't understand why Exetel still has this modem for purchasing, while things have not been resolved.

Also, the y firmware's inability to keep correct time is also frustrating for checking caller id / missed calls.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:49 pm

bilal, can you please provide another capture ? I'll take it back to netcomm and try again, but they did not respond at all to the numerous requests criten and myself lodged regarding the identified issue in the packets.. No reply at all.

bilal

Post by bilal » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:53 pm

With respect to the ATA - I have a Linksys (which is currently not plugged in), which I tried to use instead of the modem's built-in ATA, which did not have these issues.

My ATA does not have PSTN pass through.

This is roughly how you'd wire things up:

Code: Select all

Phone           |
                 ->  |            ______
                |    `---- Line - | ATA | ----- tel-handset
                                  ------
               This line is
               only for pass-through
               if the ATA has the
               extra port / capability
You would also need to disable the in-built VOIP (there's no way to 'disable it' I think, besides trying to put 0.0.0.0 for the SIP registrar address, and clearing the other addresses, but it needs / wants some sought of username/number I think to be able to save.

Then.. you'd need the ATA to pick up an IP - and then be configured. Each ATA is different. You might do well to have someone who knows a thing or two about networking if you don't really want to get your hands too dirty.

criten

Post by criten » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:09 am

I'm finding if I reboot my unit running 3.64y every week... any call delay issues for outbound calls are minimal to non-existant.

bihal - The entire time I've had my RTA1046VW, I've also used a Grandstream HT488 on my LAN. I've also run a Asterisk machine on the LAN. My work actually uses this asterisk machine remotely, so the topology would look like V210P -> NB6 -> RTA1046VW -> Asterisk -> RTA1046VW -> Exetel. I haven't had any call quality issues of the sort at work or with the Grandstream. I suggest you try a soft-phone like X-Lite - might coincidently be a problem with your Linksys as well. The speed of your ADSL, and the load on your line, could also be a big impact.

I should mention that my Grandstream HT488 is quite buggy for many other reasons (sometimes reports busy when its not for incoming voip calls?) - so I've actually started using my RTA1046VW primarily. Kinda forgotten about any issues ever since I got 3.64y and rebooted weekly. Its not perfect, but it works. Its a real shame the VoIP hardware market is flooded with devices that do not operate for basic functions.

bilal

Post by bilal » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:23 am

criten wrote:I'm finding if I reboot my unit running 3.64y every week... any call delay issues for outbound calls are minimal to non-existant.
Interesting.
... so the topology would look like V210P -> NB6 -> RTA1046VW -> Asterisk -> RTA1046VW -> Exetel.
You've lost me there with the NB6 and the way Asterisk sits in the middle (interfaces? where does the RTA's VoIP come in? etc. Nevermind.).
I suggest you try a soft-phone like X-Lite - might coincidently be a problem with your Linksys as well.
My linksys is fine. I can't bear softphones, but I quite liked SJPhone with some testing of an s804 machine. Yucky device that s804, though.