VOIP lag on outgoing calls

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
criten

Re: VOIP lag on outgoing calls

Post by criten » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:47 am

bilal wrote:You've lost me there with the NB6 and the way Asterisk sits in the middle (interfaces? where does the RTA's VoIP come in? etc. Nevermind.).
Sorry, both the NB6 & RTA1046VW have their own ADSL connections to Exetel... 8mbit each. Where I mentioned "Exetel" I mean the Exetel VoIP server. My RTA1046VW's SIP client connects to my own Asterisk via ethernet, rather than directly to Exetel. My work connects to my Asterisk at my home over ADSL.

I'm going to not reboot my modem and try to get a useful packet capture - Jason is apparently skilled at reading them. tcpdump is my friend. I'm predicting it'll happen in 1-2 weeks time

In regards to add123's post... NB6 + V210P works fine. RTA1046VW + Grandstream HT488 works fine. One of my clients who reported the "one way audio on outbound calls" fault with their RTA1046VW also has a V210P which has always worked flawless. I find it hard to believe the V210P has the same issue, or that its something to do with the RTA1046VWs NAT - my own experience says otherwise. Sure, it isn't needed - but it will resolve the issues by supplementing the problem device with a completely different unit. I strongly advise you plug in your V210P if you have one on hand - I'm very confident it'll resolve the issue.

add123

Post by add123 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:35 pm

Cheers guys, I have sent a request off to my IT friend to come and connect the ATA , so we will see what happens.

Tamworth11

Post by Tamworth11 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:55 am

Hi All,

I also have the problem with a 2 to 5 second delay with outgoing VOIP calls using the Dynalink 1046vw. It is a real shame because VOIP is absolutely brilliant - saves me heaps of money with a better voice qaulity than PSTN. I have tried upgrading to all the firmware versions mentioned to no avail. The problem still persists.

However, this "VOIP lag on outgoing calls" thread has to be one of the most read (8088 reads and 316 posts) on the exetel forum site. This suggests to me that there are heaps of people with this problem who are just watching any progress and not contributing to the mass of people already complaining. I too have been watching, but now I am so dissapointed at the attitude of both Exetel and Dynalink, that I though I should contribute to give Exetel/Dynalink more accurate numbers in hwo many people have been suffering this problem in silence.

Could I ask all people who have this problem to log "tickets" with Exetel, and ring Dynalink:
Technical Support
NSW/ACT (02) 9424 2059
VIC/TAS (03) 9012 3399
SA/NT (08) 8121 9001
QLD (07) 3102 8870
WA (08) 9467 8980
Email support@dynalink.com.au

Also please log your dissaisfaction by posting on this forum.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Logging tickets repeatedly to Exetel is not a good use of time.

Dynalink have the source to their firmware, and Exetel's contact details.. They are in a better position to test and isolate the issue.
I've supplied a packet capture to them previously, before 3.64m was released, showing the exact cause of the issue.

Netcomm / Dynalink did not respond. The delay seems to be shorter according to some reports, however, in order to investigate again, another packet capture would be ideal to see if they did in fact resolve the previous identified issue.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:18 pm

Tamworth11 wrote:Hi All,

I also have the problem with a 2 to 5 second delay with outgoing VOIP calls using the Dynalink 1046vw. It is a real shame because VOIP is absolutely brilliant - saves me heaps of money with a better voice qaulity than PSTN. I have tried upgrading to all the firmware versions mentioned to no avail. The problem still persists.

However, this "VOIP lag on outgoing calls" thread has to be one of the most read (8088 reads and 316 posts) on the exetel forum site. This suggests to me that there are heaps of people with this problem who are just watching any progress and not contributing to the mass of people already complaining. I too have been watching, but now I am so dissapointed at the attitude of both Exetel and Dynalink, that I though I should contribute to give Exetel/Dynalink more accurate numbers in hwo many people have been suffering this problem in silence.

Could I ask all people who have this problem to log "tickets" with Exetel, and ring Dynalink:
Technical Support
NSW/ACT (02) 9424 2059
VIC/TAS (03) 9012 3399
SA/NT (08) 8121 9001
QLD (07) 3102 8870
WA (08) 9467 8980
Email support@dynalink.com.au

Also please log your dissaisfaction by posting on this forum.

Alternatively, return the RTA1046VW under warranty as it is not functioning correctly and obtain a NB9WMAXX which works flawlessly. The only noticeable difference between them (apart from the fact the NB9WMAXX works!) is that the Dynalink has 2 x Wireless networks and the NB9WMAXX only has 1. Very few users need 2 anyway.

mattmuir

Post by mattmuir » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:30 pm

Tamworth11 (& anyone else for that matter)

I, too, suffered the lag. You need to upgrade the firmware to 3.64y. Then comes the REAL trick...
You MUST do the factory reset thing in order for this to work. So ensure you know your account settings (e.g phone@state.exetel.com.au) & your VoIP password (in the VoIP setup pages).

I was positive that I had reset the modem. It's not a reset, it's a FACTORY RESET. It really will work!!

Thanks Jason for your help in this.

Regards

Matt

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Mattmuir,
I have down loaded the latest software and am still having the same 5 second delay issue with VOIP over the RTA1046VW.
I have completed the "Reset Router" option in the "Management" tab of the Dynalink web page (http://192.168.1.1/). Is this reset the one you are referring to as a Factory Reset? I have also turned the router power off and restarted but I am still experiencing the lag.

I have made some enquiries and have this information to add to the troubleshooting issues for this problem:

My son has operated VOIP on a RTA1046VW using ADSL2 from the Coffs Harbour telephone exchange for 12 months and has never had a problem with the delay issue. He still has the old software that I had previously operated before I recently upgraded.
I on the other hand, I can only get ADSL1 from the Berkeley Vale telephone exchange and have had the problem since I started with Exetel 7 months ago.

I experience the delay when I telephone my son using his "normal" land line telephone number (which by the way is bundled as an exetel customer with his internet plan and has the 66 coffs harbour exchange prefix). However, there has never been a problem with delay when I telephone him using the Exetel provided number ( the 8090XXXX number established when he signed up for the VOIP service)

Hope this helps in the problem solving
Abbo

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:48 pm

One of the infuriating things about the lag is that not everyone seems to be affected enough to notice.

To factory reset, find the small hole on the back, near the switch. There is a microswitch behind it. With the modem on, press a paper clip square in the hole, and hold it for a few seconds. Don't poke wildly about, this is an electrical device. Then withdraw and watch. This forces the modem OS to restart from scratch. You will have to re-enter all your Exetel modem and VoIP settings, so take notes.

There is also a restore factory settings button in the web interface - p140 of the manual

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm

Dazzled,
Thank you for the assistance and to all those frustrated VOIP users this factory reset really works!
The reset using the p140 manual option did not fix the lag issue however pushing of the reset button in the back of the modem did the trick.
For all those computer challenged users like me, make sure you make a copy of the setup details for connecting to the internet (just like when you first connected to exetel) as well as the user details and password supplied in the exetel email when you first set up the VOIP service. These will all have to be re done when the modem comes back on line after pushing the reset micro.

I suggest if you have any doubts on how to proceed, look in this forum for modem setup manuals and also the VOIP setup manual. Also check your emails for your original VOIP setup password supplied by exetel.

Once again thanks to all those who helped in solving this problem

bilal

Post by bilal » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:52 pm

abbo56 wrote:Thank you for the assistance and to all those frustrated VOIP users this factory reset really works!
Don't want to spoil the party, but keep us posted if it comes back. It has its moods. I might try the pin-reset anyway.

Personally I'm back in the "heaps of calling" mode, so I think I might hook up my in-between router again (hassle) to log calls.

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:17 pm

I have made numerous calls (Australia wide) and not had any problem since doing the pin reset and re-entering all the data several days ago.
Good luck

basshead

Post by basshead » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:12 pm

It's been several months since I read this thread, and I recall there was an announcement about a newly-released firmware. I didn't ever bother upgrading my firmware, and the problem seems to have magically rectified itself, even without having to restart the modem every 3-4 weeks or so like I had to.

At least I know the firmware is available if the gremlin returns...

australiana

Post by australiana » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:14 pm

The new firmware - 3.64y - fixed my lag problem without any need to reset.

bilal

Post by bilal » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:35 am

australiana wrote:The new firmware - 3.64y - fixed my lag problem without any need to reset.
I'm having problems with 3.64y (albeit a bit less - not sure how) like all the previous f/w. Did a factory reset the other day (not sure if I did it before). Waiting for it to happen again. Before the reset, every few calls was delayed. It seems to come in seasons. I *think* it usually settles down a bit after a reset.

I wonder when I'll give up. My PAP2T is gathering dust...

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:15 am

So just before I throw my RTA1046VW out the window, what would be the right order of things to do to solve this problem?
Update firmware?
Reset?
Anything else?
Maybe there should be a sticky about this.