VOIP setup and troubleshooting
bilal

Re: VOIP lag on outgoing calls

Post by bilal » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:24 am

Perhaps...

1) install "3.64y" firmware
2) pin-reset
3) pray

I haven't had an incident since my last reset, but my call volume has been extrememly low of late, and we all got 3 mobiles between family/co-workers now... so I can't say..

Teaspoon

Post by Teaspoon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:02 pm

Great I have this problem too.

RTA1046VW, lag on connection which needs to be fixed, works fine once connected.
Has anyone fixed this with the update and then a factory reset?

3.63z is the firmware I'm currently using.....

(I can't remember my password either!, have to sort that before I try any fixes ;)

bilal

Post by bilal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:06 pm

I haven't had any recent problems (I hope it stays that way).

Try the latest firmware, with some factory (pin) resets before / after.

If you do those factory resets, you won't need to worry about your password.
Teaspoon wrote:Great I have this problem too.

RTA1046VW, lag on connection which needs to be fixed, works fine once connected.
Has anyone fixed this with the update and then a factory reset?

3.63z is the firmware I'm currently using.....

(I can't remember my password either!, have to sort that before I try any fixes ;)

mattski

Post by mattski » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 am

My new Dynalink RTA1046VW bought through Exetel last week for our new ADSL2+ service came with the 3.63z firmware.
It suffered from the issue of the silent 4 or 5 seconds at the start of a VoIP call.
Upgrading to 3.64y fixed it for me :-)
(Upgrade, followed by 'pin-reset', and reconfiguring, of course - No praying required :-))

It was very easy to upgrade, but I have to wonder why Dynalink/Netcomm don't supply this unit with this software loaded as standard for the Australian market...
... Is anyone aware of other problems it may introduce?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:59 am

Mattski, I saw your other post, and am glad it works properly now. As to the praying, I think that was the only thing that got Netcomm off their feet to get the new version written. They weren't in any hurry. I swapped mine for a Dynalink recently, replaced the firmware and haven't detected any problems. You are right - suppliers are still delivering units in Australia with the old firmware.

Tamworth11

Post by Tamworth11 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:36 pm

Hi All,

My VOIP 4 second silence has finally been cured ..... by EXETEL.....!!!!

I raised the matter with the Exetel executives who put me in contact with Raymond Li who was very helpful and got the engineers to monitor my VOIP packets during each phone call so that they could witness the first 4 seconds of silence when we rang out on VOIP. However, they must have changed the routing of out VOIP or something, to allow the monitoring, and every phone call since has been perfect. Unfortuneatly this means that the Exetel engineers never got to witness the problem. But let's hope they know how to fix it in future.

Yippeee it's fixed.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:54 pm

Tamworth11, are you running 3.64y? (It's in the bottom left margin of the browser display of http://192.168.1.1/)

Tamworth11

Post by Tamworth11 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi Dazzled,

I tried all the different versions of firmware, and all the power cycles and hard resets but nothing changed. I even hard Dynalink engineers send me a special debug firmware - which also made no difference. I am running 3.65 now, but the 3.65 exhibited the 4 second silence at the beginning ofthe call as well, and it was only after the Exetel engineers changed "something" by monitoring the SIP packets that it started working. I have not reset or power cycled since it started working - so hopefully it will survive a power outage. I don't think the firmware makes any difference.

Cheers

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:41 pm

3.64y fixed it for me and my small band of non-tech dependents. The lag disappeared for all of them, so I swapped my ATA for my spare Dynalink too. It won't "stick" unless you do a hard factory reset with a pin in the back after loading.

Tamworth11

Post by Tamworth11 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:26 am

Yes - I tried that version as well many months ago - with the appropriate factory reset button etc - but it made no difference - still had the 4 sec silence.

I actually did nothing to make the problem go away - I did not change versions of firmware - I did not reset the modem in any way. One day the 4 sec silence problem was there, the next day I talked to Exetel and they started monitoring my packets - and hey presto the problem stopped immediately. This was about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I wonder if the timing of your VOIP, and your friends VOIP, problem going away might have coincided with this time? Maybe Exetel fixed something for everybody when they started the monitoring.

If not, and the problem comes back (I certainly hope it deson't) then I'll definitely try the 3.64y version. But it is wierd that I definitely had the problem when using the 3.65 version.

Anyway I'm glad that people we ring no longer think we are telemarketers and hang up after hearing nothing but silence. I find the VOIP very good and much better call quality than the old PSTN.

jpm

Post by jpm » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:21 pm

After being one of the early ones to find problems and trying every firmware upgrade available i have finally given up and bought a netcomm NB9WMAXX from exetel. The NB9WMAXX is working perfectly on day one.

My experience with the Dynalink RTA1046VW, I found even after hard resets, upgrade firmware etc. etc. etc. i still got approximately 5-10 seconds of silence after connecting on local calls. If receiver didn't pick up until after 10 seconds of ringing then there was no silence, but if the picked up on the first ring then there would be a full 10 seconds delay and they'd hang up before they heard me.

STD and Mobile calls never gave any delay, and for the last 22 months, that's all that i've been using VOIP for.

Glad to hear it's finally working for some people and i still have my old hardware, so i might try playing with it again, but for me, so far nothing has fixed it.

As a final insult exetel has overcharged me $50 on my new netcomm modem. I've raised a ticket so hopefully they fix it.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:31 pm

I can see billing has the ticket, and have noted that $50 should be refunded (difference between the price noted, and the price paid).

As you likely can see, the newer firmware seems to have resolved it for many of the cases.

jpm

Post by jpm » Wed May 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks Jason,

I have received the refund.

I'll have to try again with the dynalink modem, and go through the process of update firmware and hard reset and see if it fixes the prolems.

Regards,

Justin