Is this a local call ?

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Viss

Is this a local call ?

Post by Viss » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:04 pm

I live in Hervey Bay, approximately 3 hours from Brisbane, If I were to get a Brisbane VOIP number would local people here have to pay STD rates to call my number ?

Viss

Re: Is this a local call ?

Post by Viss » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:55 pm

Hello any1 home ??

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Viss wrote:I live in Hervey Bay, approximately 3 hours from Brisbane, If I were to get a Brisbane VOIP number would local people here have to pay STD rates to call my number ?
If you have a DID in Brisbane, then this is the same as any other Brisbane number.

If it's an STD call from Hervey Bay to Brisbane then yes.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

Viss

Post by Viss » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:23 pm

So can I get a local number or us regional people pushed aside as usual ?

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:12 pm

Viss wrote:So can I get a local number or us regional people pushed aside as usual ?
AFAIK only Brisbane DID's are available.

Do you still have a normal telephone line? Can't you receive calls on this number? Or are you using the Naked DSL service?

Viss

Post by Viss » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:18 am

CLoSeR wrote:
Viss wrote:So can I get a local number or us regional people pushed aside as usual ?

Do you still have a normal telephone line? Can't you receive calls on this number? Or are you using the Naked DSL service?
Yes but ive just closed my business and moved it to my home I did not want to use my home number, I could not take my business number with me because of different exchanges. And this would solve all my problems of having to pay to have another line installed and the cost of another phone line. Is there anyway of getting another number at all ?

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:55 am

Viss wrote:
CLoSeR wrote:

Yes but ive just closed my business and moved it to my home I did not want to use my home number, I could not take my business number with me because of different exchanges. And this would solve all my problems of having to pay to have another line installed and the cost of another phone line. Is there anyway of getting another number at all ?
At this stage Exetel aren't supplying DID's for Hervey Bay, im not sure if this will change in the future.

I suppose you need to make a decision of whether you require a local number, or whether your Brisbane DID will do. This is really something you should have thought about before applying for VOIP and deciding not to have a standard line connected.

Are there other VOIP providers who can give you a DID in Hervey Bay?

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:24 am

Yep. Find a VSP that provide local numbers to your 0741 region. Set your ATA to receive those calls. You can then use Exetel to make you calls AND recieve calls.

Eg I have a PSTN line and three DIDs. All of them ring the same handset. It is invisible to the user. SWMBO has no issue with it. She just lifts the handset and makes a call. For outbound I have set up plans for least cost routing. So depending on which number is dialled, my ATA directs the call to the predefined VSP (which I have previously determined will provide the cheapest call for that number).

My PSTN line is locked to local calls only - no surprises.

This is one of the best features with VOIP. There are many providers with no monthly fee, no minimum spend. It is flexible and you can define your own services to suit your calling style and budget.

PS if you need any printing done, send me a PM. My old man is a printer in Hervey Bay....
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

Viss

Post by Viss » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:03 am

Excellent dbr thanks for the info so any ideas on where to start I have a sydney did for relo's to call I need to organise a did for my area.

Cheers

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:41 am

http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

Viss

Post by Viss » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:45 pm

Decided to go with Engine $10 p/m same call rates as exetel. Shame really if only exetel could offer other numbers im sure its as simple as buying a number from their provider. Even if it takes a day or so to set up we wouldn't mind. Anyway exetels loss, might only be $20 pm or so but times that by the number people who cant get local numbers thats a fair loss. Think about it exetel.