Multiple inbound calls?

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Mort

Multiple inbound calls?

Post by Mort » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:40 pm

Greetings,

I asked about being able to make multiple outbound calls at the same time in a previous thread, and for some reason only just got around to testing it today. Works a treat!

Anyway, I still haven't had time to do the Asterisk thing as yet, but the next question would be if it is configured as the incoming termination machine, does the Exetel VOIP allow it to receive *multiple incoming* calls to the same number? If not, what happens if other people try to call in? Does it redirect to voice mail, send some sort of call waiting tone, or just give a busy tone?

I think I may finally be getting excited about this VOIP stuff.

Mort.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Re: Multiple inbound calls?

Post by VoIP Admin » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:21 am

If you have multiple machine registered with same SIP details at the same time, it will not work very well, because the server doesn't know which end client to terminate the calls. Sometime it may work due to sip registration timeout, but still not flexible.

multiple outbound is allowed.

Mort

Re: Multiple inbound calls?

Post by Mort » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:49 pm

I'm thinking if I have a single Asterisk server registered with the SIP server, and then any other machines I have talking to Asterisk (as a mini-PBX?). That way there's only one machine registered... assuming it actually works that way.

So in that case, once an inbound connection has been made, is it possible for Asterisk (for example) to receive another one to send to another "extension" when there is already an inbound call in progress?
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.