Page 1 of 1

New to VOIP, have many things to ask

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:16 pm
by thomas261989
I intend to have Exetel Naked ADSL2 at the end of this month.
1) Would VOIP service come along with it or do I have to apply for it separately?
2) How much is the activation fee?
3) I want to use 'soft phone' implementation. If my laptop is off, what would happen to the incoming calls?
4) Do I have to buy the 'soft phone' software or can I download it for free?

Re: New to VOIP, have many things to ask

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:58 pm
by dbr
thomas261989 wrote:1) Would VOIP service come along with it or do I have to apply for it separately?
When you have your account set up you should log into user facilities and apply for VOIP. You can then pick a DID in the location of your choice. The 'service' comes as part of the NDSL, however you have to 'apply' for it, which is where you pick your DID.
thomas261989 wrote:2) How much is the activation fee?
NDSL activation is currently $40. VOIP activation $0.00
thomas261989 wrote:3) I want to use 'soft phone' implementation. If my laptop is off, what would happen to the incoming calls?
You can set up your VOIP account to divert to voicemail when no answer. If you are ONLY using softphone and it is off, then if you don't elect to divert to voicemail, I imagine the call would ring out or be engaged (guess not knowledge).
thomas261989 wrote:4) Do I have to buy the 'soft phone' software or can I download it for free?
Like many applications there are both free and paid for softphones. X-Lite is an example of a free one.

Re: New to VOIP, have many things to ask

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:55 pm
by thomas261989
Thank you very much.
Do you know what codec X-Lite supports?
How do I check if I'm able to use X-Lite?

Re: New to VOIP, have many things to ask

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:19 pm
by jokiin
thomas261989 wrote:Thank you very much.
Do you know what codec X-Lite supports?
How do I check if I'm able to use X-Lite?
http://www.counterpath.com/assets/files ... m-Bria.pdf

Re: New to VOIP, have many things to ask

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:42 am
by dbr
thomas261989 wrote:How do I check if I'm able to use X-Lite?
I don't quite follow this question. If you have a VOIP account, and you have a Computer, then download xlite enter the VOIP settings and away you go.