VOIP

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
leptorillus

VOIP

Post by leptorillus » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:47 pm

I can successfully ring mobile and fixed numbers but STD numbers give a double beep signal. his has been the case for some days, and i have confirmed that at least one Melbourne number i ring (from NSW) is working properly for others.

wensu

Re: VOIP

Post by wensu » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:47 pm

if those calls (unbilled) or billed for the landline destination you call = $0.10 or if it's part of the naked DSL2 plans that 100 free landline calls per month then that shouldn't be an issue, but I'm not too sure why the beeps happen now, as such is designated for over 65 kms (to signify STD rates apply from traditional PSTN landline from a retail telephony provider)

leptorillus

Post by leptorillus » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:49 am

Thank you. The double beep is instead of a ring tone as if connection has been made, and is like an engaged signal but not single prolonged beeps. Also i can ring some 300km within NSW successfully. The STD code seems to be the problem. If i can ring 04 in a mobile number i can't see that the initial zero is a problem. Could Admin offer any advice? I recently changed from gotalk (which is a performance on a pre-intel Mac using Netcomm V100) otherwise i'd change back until this is sorted out.

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:34 am

Can I check your voip number? PM it to me please

leptorillus

Post by leptorillus » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:00 am

I replied to admin but it may be useful to others to know that the double beep was the same timing and length of beep as the normal ring tone, just a different sound. To my surprise the call was answered, and the receiving phone had rung normally.

leptorillus

Post by leptorillus » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:38 am

Despite the abnormal ring tone i hear, it seems to ring at the other end and be anwered. This is the explanation i had from exetel engineer:
"VoIP is just a soft version of normal telephone system. Its protocol was designed to try to emulate ring and answer like normal circuit switching based service. So sometimes there will be some strange behavior of ringing or connecting the calls".