Set up info on Voip/fring via Mobile/HSPA

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Martin V
Exetel Staff

Set up info on Voip/fring via Mobile/HSPA

Post by Martin V » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:52 pm

This page is dedicated to fring a software that allows 3G/HSPD ready mobiles to make calls via VoIP instead of GSM.

We're currently working on a partnership with fring that will allow our logo and our voip settings be embedded into their software which will make it easier to set up fringe/voip on your mobile.

This is currently how fring would be set up:

Nokia E65:

http://www.fring.com/downloado/

-Choose your brand: Pick your branded mobile

-Device: (Must select a branded mobile that has 3G & HSPA)

-Choose your country: Australia

-Input your HSPA mobile number:
+61 4xxxxxxx

-(Email address has to be entered here)

-Once you have entered through all the details press join.

-After that you will receive a sms from fring with a link open up that link with your mobile.

-Press OK to download fring

-Install fring

-Choose where to install fring (phone memory or external)

-Accept terms and conditions

-Allow fring to install

-next - > next -> next

-Input username and password for your fring account (this will be emailed to you once you have downloaded the application)

-Select a communities:

-Pick [Sip]

-Input your voip username and password and exetel’s sip settings: 58.96.1.2

-Now you should ready to go just call a number and chose to route the call via “SIP”

This page will continue to grow as more equipment is tested and finalized if you have any input or how you have resolved problems feel free to post it up.
Martin
eXeTeL Support

vk3xem

Re: Set up info on Voip/fring via Mobile/HSPA

Post by vk3xem » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:41 pm

I have Fring installed and working on my Nokia N82 and it is very easy to use, it also has MSN, ICQ, Google Talk, Twitter and AIM. It also is about the only real Skype Client available for Nokia phones! It also has several add-ons to notify you of message or emails from other services. One IM feature it is missing at present is Status messages, like Busy or Do Not Disturb but hopefully that will be included in a future version.

Although I have played with the SIP feature, I currently use the default Nokia SIP client that is embedded in the phone. I will definitely install the Exetel version when it is released... :D
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Martin V
Exetel Staff

Post by Martin V » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:01 pm

You can already use it just put in our sip settings :)
Martin
eXeTeL Support

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:21 pm

Martin V wrote:You can already use it just put in our sip settings :)
I realise that Martin, I want the Exetel branding! :D
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:41 am

Does fring allow the use of a DID?
If we use Exetel VOIP at home already, is there a way we can get a 2nd Exetel VOIP line for use with the mobile at no extra cost or can you sign in with the same details simultaneously?

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:44 am

On a 2nd note, if I leave fring running on the mobile in the background (not in a call) how much data usage should I expect? I'm on a telstra plan so DO NOT want to go over my fairly conservative cap.

Martin V
Exetel Staff

Post by Martin V » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:50 am

thomashouseman wrote:On a 2nd note, if I leave fring running on the mobile in the background (not in a call) how much data usage should I expect? I'm on a telstra plan so DO NOT want to go over my fairly conservative cap.

http://www.fring.com/fring_is/why_fring/ - should give you an idea of how much data is transmitted.
thomashouseman wrote:Does fring allow the use of a DID?
Yes fring will allow the calls to be received aswell.
If we use Exetel VOIP at home already, is there a way we can get a 2nd Exetel VOIP line for use with the mobile at no extra cost or can you sign in with the same details simultaneously?
Not at this stage maybe in the future.
Martin
eXeTeL Support

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:15 pm

thomashouseman wrote:If we use Exetel VOIP at home already, is there a way we can get a 2nd Exetel VOIP line for use with the mobile at no extra cost or can you sign in with the same details simultaneously?
I have a friend who has set up his own Asterisk PBX at home along with his Naked DSL service and has set it up to call all his phone numbers at once, which ever phone he picks up takes the call whether it be one of his VoIP numbers or his mobile phone. It sounds like this is the type of service you are looking for. It would be interesting to see if Exetel could handle that sort of routing as an option.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:41 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Does fring allow the use of a DID?
The Inclusions for ADSL2, HSPA Broadband, ADSL1 Bundled, all include a DID

to me this would suggest, but is at the discretion of Exetel's fair play rules, that if you had two of theses services you could get two 'free' DIDs.
If they don't allow it free, it is only $5.00 a month for the second DID!!!!

Lawrie

jOhn-e

Post by jOhn-e » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:52 pm

Fring Setup for iPhone

Go to "More" then "Add-ons"

Go to "SIP"

Go to "Other"

USER ID = SIP phone number
PASSWORD = SIP password
Proxy = 58.96.1.2
Going Going Gone....

syncmaster

Post by syncmaster » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:53 am

Sorry to ask this question, but all models on the drop down menu in
'Get Fring Via PC' under VOIP>VOIP Fring can be used for Exetel Voip via Mobile/HSPA? (I don't think they can.)

I understand you need a 3G mobile to use Fring/Voip via Mobile but just wonder why this drop down menu lists non 3G mobiles which are not for Voip via Mobile in the first place. Can anyone explain what this list is for?

Thanks

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:53 pm

syncmaster wrote:Sorry to ask this question, but all models on the drop down menu in
'Get Fring Via PC' under VOIP>VOIP Fring can be used for Exetel Voip via Mobile/HSPA? (I don't think they can.)

I understand you need a 3G mobile to use Fring/Voip via Mobile but just wonder why this drop down menu lists non 3G mobiles which are not for Voip via Mobile in the first place. Can anyone explain what this list is for?

Thanks
on some phone models that can't support VoIP they still offer Fring for its Chat functionality etc which doesn't need 3G

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:40 pm

Some of the phones listed may also have WLAN access, which is how I mainly use VoIP on my Nokia N82. I'm on Exetel's Vodafone at the moment but hopefully soon there will Optus coverage at my place and I will be able to switch to one of the HSPA plans and then I will make more use of VoIP on my Nokia N82.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

syncmaster

Post by syncmaster » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:03 am

How about SAMSUNG Z170 3G? It is now very cheap online.http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/7467
This uses 3G Network UMTS 2100, but not sure if this means HSPA or not.

can I use this Z170 for Exetel VOIP service via Movile/HSPA?

Thanks,

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:55 pm

syncmaster wrote:How about SAMSUNG Z170 3G? It is now very cheap online.http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/7467
Having looked at the specs for phone shows that it only has JAVA capabilities and no native VoIP capabilities, so it will be very limited in terms of VoIP.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM