Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Post Reply
thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:12 am

Hi,

I have several queries/suggestions re. Exetel VOIP.

1) Is it possible to allow the dialling of the + code/symbol? I'm using SIP via Fring with the new Exetel HSPA service, but it uses all my mobile phone contacts that are inputted as +612........ for Sydney numbers etc, so I can dial it anywhere worldwide, however the Exetel SIP server won't accept this, it want's 02... not +612...

2) If my DID isn't registered (i.e. broadband connected, SIP logged in etc.) can calls to the DID number be diverted to voicemail (if it's setup in member facilities) rather than having an engaged signal?

Thanks,

T.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by jokiin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:39 am

thomashouseman wrote: 1) Is it possible to allow the dialling of the + code/symbol? I'm using SIP via Fring with the new Exetel HSPA service, but it uses all my mobile phone contacts that are inputted as +612........ for Sydney numbers etc, so I can dial it anywhere worldwide, however the Exetel SIP server won't accept this, it want's 02... not +612...
I came across this issue previously however with my Nokia phone there was an option to store multiple numbers against each name, I just saved one in the correct format for VoIP use, would be nicer if this wasn't needed but as a workaround it was fine
thomashouseman wrote: 2) If my DID isn't registered (i.e. broadband connected, SIP logged in etc.) can calls to the DID number be diverted to voicemail (if it's setup in member facilities) rather than having an engaged signal?
Realistically this should be the default behavior anyway, if you have an outage the system should see you as unavailable and send the call to voicemail, most other VSP's work this way

thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Re: Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:11 pm

jok11n wrote:
I came across this issue previously however with my Nokia phone there was an option to store multiple numbers against each name, I just saved one in the correct format for VoIP use, would be nicer if this wasn't needed but as a workaround it was fine
Ack! I have about 200 no's I'd have to reprogram. I'm sure Exetel would want to look at a workaround seen as they're looking to be a FRING partner.... or has that fallen through?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by jokiin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:37 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
jok11n wrote:
I came across this issue previously however with my Nokia phone there was an option to store multiple numbers against each name, I just saved one in the correct format for VoIP use, would be nicer if this wasn't needed but as a workaround it was fine
Ack! I have about 200 no's I'd have to reprogram. I'm sure Exetel would want to look at a workaround seen as they're looking to be a FRING partner.... or has that fallen through?
I just did them as I needed to use them rather than doing them all, I have about 350 contacts, not sure how much of the VoIP infrastructure they have is internal and how much belongs to their wholesale partner but it should be feasible that they could have dial plans that would support dropping the + from start of a number, given that they do want to promote the use of VoIP over 3G this is something they should look at seriously as it will likely come up for a lot more people as the user base grows, introducing this sooner rather than later would be much easier

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by vk3xem » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:46 pm

Myself and others have reported this previously here in the forums, hopefully it can be rectified. One of the major hassles is if you receive an SMS and use the Nokia menu to call the originator's number, being the International format Exetel VoIP rejects it and it is a pain to edit the number into the local format.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Re: Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by thomashouseman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:15 pm

Exetel?

thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Re: Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:04 am

No word from Exetel yet on the above, and in addition to the above 2 questions, can I add:

3) When a call rings out with no answer, can it also set to go to voicemail rather than turn into the engaged signal?

Thanks,

T.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 1813
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:33 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by Gidget » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 pm

I've given the VOIP team a nudge for you, Thomas.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Re: Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:48 pm

Thanks Gidget....

I've also nudged Jared here: http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... &sk=t&sd=a

Jared Lee

Re: Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by Jared Lee » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:39 pm

Please don't nudge there.

There is Asterisk based voicemail service included on the voip. It is turned on by default and it is accessible by dialling 121.
I've play around with voicemail recently and found one problem, which is related to NAT... i think. If I use a VoIP device that's connected to a router or network behind NAT, the voicemail may not work properly and incoming calls would just hangup.

I found a solution for this by doing port forwarding on the router to forward SIP and RTP port on UDP protocol. It works after that. Of course I do hope there is a permanent solution for this issue rather than doing port forwarding as we're now working on to improve our SIP service.

Adding the + symbol for fring or mobile over IP is possible but we need some time to implement.

thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Re: Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:47 am

Jared Lee wrote: Adding the + symbol for fring or mobile over IP is possible but we need some time to implement.
Any update on this Jared?

karLos
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:28 pm
Location: Stanmore, NSW
Contact:

Re: Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by karLos » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:24 pm

it is a shame these programs such as fring don't have dialing rules like an ATA would...

toast
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:52 pm

Re: Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by toast » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:30 pm

thomashouseman wrote:1) Is it possible to allow the dialling of the + code/symbol? I'm using SIP via Fring with the new Exetel HSPA service, but it uses all my mobile phone contacts that are inputted as +612........ for Sydney numbers etc, so I can dial it anywhere worldwide, however the Exetel SIP server won't accept this, it want's 02... not +612...
Has anything happened with this?

thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Re: Several VOIP queries/suggestions....

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:03 am

Still waiting, seems like all VOIP development has stopped along with Exetel's own Fring/Nimbuzz replacement program. :(

Post Reply