VOIP service dropping out

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Shortlegs

VOIP service dropping out

Post by Shortlegs » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:02 pm

My voip service has been dropping out regularly for the past week and is getting quite annoying. I have not had so much trouble before. I have a NB9W modem on 512/128 line speed. Can it improve if I go to a higher speed plan. Any ideas? :( :?
Problem is more pronounced when calling outside local area. phone drops out under 2 minutes on regional calls to areas outside the Illawarra.area. :?
Is it a service problem????
I have changed my plan to a higher speed plan, But will not now if it helps until the changes happen on the 2nd Oct.
Last edited by Shortlegs on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VOIP service dropping out

Post by jokiin » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:25 pm

Shortlegs wrote:My voip service has been dropping out regularly for the past week and is getting quite annoying. I have not had so much trouble before. I have a NB9W modem on 512/128 line speed. Can it improve if I go to a higher speed plan. Any ideas? :( :?
if it's dropping calls due to insufficient bandwidth then a faster plan would help, 512/128 is about as low as you should consider for VoIP use but this is on the proviso that no other services, web, email, P2P etc are being used at the same time, some routers have the ability to throttle all other protocols when VoIP is in use and can help in situations like this (don't know if your model has this ability or not) given the recent increased allowances on most ADSL1 plans you might find a higher speed plan with comparable download is now justifiable, faster access is good for all things, not just VoIP

Shortlegs

Post by Shortlegs » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:47 pm

the drop outs occurs even when the computer is off. :!:

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:04 pm

Shortlegs wrote:the drop outs occurs even when the computer is off. :!:
then you may have other issues, someone could possibly trying to get to your network and flooding your connection but this is not too likely, if your router has logging ability have a look and see if your connection has been dropping as this would obviously cut your VoIP calls at the same time

dono51

Post by dono51 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:56 am

I am having the same problem,Voip drops out on all calls after just over 1 minute. The person I am talking to can hear me but I can"t hear them, this happens on every call. I have had my NB9W modem for a couple of years and this problem has just started, it has been happening for the last week. I have replaced the fixed phone line filters which have caused problems in the past,to no avail. Can anyone help ?

roby

Post by roby » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:02 pm

try checking the port forward settings are correct

compmatt

Post by compmatt » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:29 am

Hi Shortlegs!

Im also down in the Illawarra and have been having what sounds to be a similar issue.

My DID starts with 024273**** I wonder if yours is similar?

All my calls drop out after 2min 11 sec, and I cannot call 03 numbers?

I put another topic up on the board, hope we hear soon..

Matt

Shortlegs

Post by Shortlegs » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:39 pm

Hello Matt. I go through the Dapto exchange. This is a copy of an email i sent to voip@exetel.com.au

I am getting Quite annoyed with my voip service. It has been fairly
reliable up until the last week or so. now it drops out on every call
outside the Illawarra area. I have tried to make calls to Launceston,
Brisbane, Pambula, Sunshine coast. the same result happens, the call
drops out just on 2 minutes every time, about 1.54 minutes. I can call
locally most of the time . I have a Netcom NB9W modem line speed 512/128
line speed. I have tested the line speeds on user facilities.
tool 1..current bandwith reading 269.40 kbps
tool2...download 408/106 upload.
Surely this is a service problem...Please solve the problem.

Middo

Post by Middo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:08 pm

Hey guys,

I'm in the Illawarra too and have been having a similar problem for the last 4 or 5 days. I'm on the Kiama exchange.

My calls have been dropping out about the 6 minute mark. There are a couple of other threads with similar problems and we've all started having the problem at the same time so I guess it is a service problem. I haven't made any changes to any settings.

Shortlegs, I'd be keen to hear what Exetel have to say if they ever get back to you.

Cheers,

Mark

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:17 pm

Middo wrote:
Shortlegs, I'd be keen to hear what Exetel have to say if they ever get back to you.

Cheers,

Mark
it would be worth your while to also open a support ticket, if they see enough people asking about 6 minute drop outs then they are more likely to look for a system wide issue, one or two users only then they are more likely to (rightly or wrongly) just assume a user problem, personally I believe there to be a bit of both, some recent changes seem to have highlighted a problem that perhaps existed for many anyway but was previously occurring much further into the call than it is now

Middo

Post by Middo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:26 pm

Will do.

Shortlegs

Post by Shortlegs » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:45 pm

My change of plans from 512/128 to 1500/256 is up and running. I have made one call to the south coast and it did not drop out. I hope this has solved the problem, I will just have to wait an see! Exetel did tot get back to me witch is disappointing as my service was acceptable until the last few weeks .I have had this service since July 06. the next step I might try is to upgrade my Netcomm NB9W modem.? if all else fails I will lodge a fault ticket. :?
oops i finally received a reply from exetel .Dear Sir,

The server itself is running fine, Have you tried contacting Netcomm and testing an upgrade of the firmware?

Thanks.
:?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:13 pm

Shortlegs wrote:
The server itself is running fine, Have you tried contacting Netcomm and testing an upgrade of the firmware?
if there is a newer version it would be worthwhile updating even if it is running ok at the moment, VoIP has come a long way in the last few years and the latest versions for most devices do help

Middo

Post by Middo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:31 pm

I've just made the first >6min call since 25Sep. Not sure if Exetel have changed anything but I did power-down and restart both my router and ATA. Seems to be working OK now. I'll keep you posted.

Mark