VOIP calls getting disconneted in 6 minutes

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
barodian

VOIP calls getting disconneted in 6 minutes

Post by barodian » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:47 pm

I'm really tired of my calls getting disconnected every 6 minutes. As well I have to wait by disconnecting twice or thrice to get better call quality.

I have linksys VOIP modem, please help.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VOIP calls getting disconneted in 6 minutes

Post by jokiin » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:09 pm

what router do you have it behind, what you describe with calls consistently being disconnected at the same time each time sounds like a NAT traversal problem and the re invite packet not getting the proper reply from your ATA and the call being terminated, more details are required if you want help to sort it out

which model modem, router, ATA do you have and how are they currently configured

barodian

Post by barodian » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:31 am

Here is my config -
Modem: Speedstream 4200,
Wireless router: Netgear- WGR613VAL with phone jack (adapter) provided me by MyNetFone.
ATA :Linksys PAP2T

Any idea, what else I might have to check.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:37 am

barodian wrote:Here is my config -
Modem: Speedstream 4200,
Wireless router: Netgear- WGR613VAL with phone jack (adapter) provided me by MyNetFone.
ATA :Linksys PAP2T

Any idea, what else I might have to check.
which ATA is giving the dropouts, just the PAP2? Also do you have the speedstream bridged with the router in the Netgear handling the connection or do you have one router behind another router?

the equipment you have is all good but if not configured correctly will cause the problem you are having

barodian

Post by barodian » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:16 pm

"Which ATA" yes PAP2. I'm using my phone from that.

The layout is - ADSL2 Cable from Wall Socket to Modem, Modem to Netgear {wireless hooking my laptop} , Netgear to Linksys and Linksys Line 1 is my only phone line.

I'm not networking so please bear :)

slwarren75

Post by slwarren75 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:25 pm

I am also being disconnected every 6 minutes. This has only started happening for me in the last week. I have made no changes to my VOIP setup in recent months.

Steve

barodian

Post by barodian » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:33 pm

Yeah infact for me also it started few weeks back only but initially it started with 30 minutes disconnection and now 6 miutes...

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:59 pm

barodian wrote:"Which ATA" yes PAP2. I'm using my phone from that.

The layout is - ADSL2 Cable from Wall Socket to Modem, Modem to Netgear {wireless hooking my laptop} , Netgear to Linksys and Linksys Line 1 is my only phone line.

I'm not networking so please bear :)
Ok, are you currently using the MyNetFone VoIP service attached to the Netgear? (I'm assuming you have one of their discounted locked versions of this model) if so is it all still in the same out of the box configuration that they supplied it in?

What setup guide did you follow for the PAP2?

barodian

Post by barodian » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:28 pm

Yeah the router is from MNF, I'm not using MNF at all. I do have another unlocked router, shall try with that tonight (Do you think thats the problem)

To configure PAP I used exetel's http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_pdf/analogue.pdf (last page)

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:58 pm

barodian wrote:Yeah the router is from MNF, I'm not using MNF at all. I do have another unlocked router, shall try with that tonight (Do you think thats the problem)

To configure PAP I used exetel's http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_pdf/analogue.pdf (last page)
the Netgear is a god router but the out of the box config will be clashing for you, by default they are set to use SIP port 5060 which your Linksys will also be using and Exetel need to use (most VoIP providers support a number of different ports but for some unknown reason Exetel only use 5060) what you need to do is login to your MyNetFone account portal, go to 'my service options' and you will see there is an 'advanced' option, change the SIP port to 5061, click 'update' then reboot your router, MyNetFone will send a new config to your router which will update your settings

You then need to port forward SIP port 5060 UDP from the Netgear to the Linksys, suggest having a static IP address set on the Linksys for ease of setup, you need to apply the changes and reboot, you will need to save your changes and reboot the Netgear again

Ideally you should have the Speedstream bridged and let the Netgear handles the connection, having a router behind a modem router and then having a third device behind that is not for the novice user

if you need more info on settings etc you can look here for user manuals of each device http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware/ you may also find the guides to port forwarding found here to be useful also http://www.portforward.com/guides.htm

Changing to a different router won't really help as this needs to be done regardless to get it working properly

barodian

Post by barodian » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:17 pm

Thanks, will do as you have mentioned and update you.

But these things were working properly before a month. Before a month or so my VOIP calls started getting disconnected after 30 minutes and since last 2 weeks its happening after every 6 minutes.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:24 pm

barodian wrote:Thanks, will do as you have mentioned and update you.

But these things were working properly before a month. Before a month or so my VOIP calls started getting disconnected after 30 minutes and since last 2 weeks its happening after every 6 minutes.
Exetel have recently done some VoIP hardware upgrades which I am guessing has a slightly different config, the fact that it previously disconnected in 30 minutes shows that you had the same problem already but the config may have been different and you are now suffering this issue after 6 minutes instead of 30 minutes, if you have it setup correctly then you won't have any of these disconnects in the future regardless of the time spent on the call

barodian

Post by barodian » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:30 pm

makes sense, thanks again.

Cheers,

Middo

Post by Middo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi guys, I was hoping to get some help with the same problem.

I too used to occassionally get dropouts at about the 30 minute mark but for the last week have been getting dropouts at 6 minutes for all calls.

I have a Dlink DSL-G604T router connected to a Linksys SPA-3102 and a wireless handset connected to that. I have forwarded port 5060 on the router.

I haven't made any changes since I first set it up but just recently have been getting the dropouts which are quite annoying.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:59 pm

Middo wrote:Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but I was hoping to get some help with the same problem.
Two days old is old :shock:
Middo wrote: I too used to occassionally get dropouts at about the 30 minute mark but for the last week have been getting dropouts at 6 minutes for all calls.

I have a Dlink DSL-G604T router connected to a Linksys SPA-3102 and a wireless handset connected to that.

I haven't made any changes since I first set it up but just recently have been getting the dropouts which are quite annoying.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark
Mark, the fact that you were getting the drop outs 30 minutes into a call indicates that you had the problem already, it does seem that some recent changes on the Exetel end are now causing this problem to show up after only 6 minutes, obviously a lot more phone calls would be affected in 6 minutes rather than 30 minutes so the problem is much more apparent than previously

The same rules will apply though, correct ports forwarded from your router to the ATA and correct setup and you won't get the problem, make sure you are connecting to the right port on the ATA also, it will work with either but one has it working as a router, the other doesn't (router behind another router invariably adds unnecessary complexity and increased chance of problems)