Calling VOIP get STD charges

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
pcarlson

Calling VOIP get STD charges

Post by pcarlson » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:58 am

Hi,

I have been using exetel VOIP now for over a month and no problems since my 32s dropout (port forward problems).

My new problem is my parents/family live in rural NSW and Tamworth. When I call them from my VOIP number, no STD beeps are heard...Cool... but when they call my voip DID number they get charged STD rates. I thought my family in Tamworth could call my VOIP number (Canberra) and the call would go to the Tamworth exchange, get on the internet, go to Exetel in Sydney, then to my modem in Canberra over the internet so it would be a local call. This is what was explained to me. Could someone please confirm.

Canberra to VOIP (canberra) = Local call for friends
Tamworth to VOIP (canberra) = STD call for family in Tamworth
Rural NSW to VOIP (canberra) = STD call for family in rural NSW

Is this normal, or should family calls to my VOIP be local call prices for them?

Phil... :)

outbush

Re: Calling VOIP get STD charges

Post by outbush » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:11 pm

pcarlson wrote:.............I have been using exetel VOIP now for over a month and no problems since my 32s dropout (port forward problems).
My new problem is my parents/family live in rural NSW and Tamworth. When I call them from my VOIP number, no STD beeps are heard...Cool... but when they call my voip DID number they get charged STD rates.
For your family in Tamworth to obtain local call charges, you need to get a voip number DID in the Tamworth area.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:52 pm

I solved this by opening an Exetel VoIP calling service account with a country number registered. In your case, your parents (having been registered) would call a Sydney Exetel number which is always engaged - so no charge to them. They hang up, and Exetel VoIP, having detected caller ID from a registered number, rings them straight back. They pick up and key in your Canberra phone number. The total cost is 10c for the call back + 10c for the conversation with you, 20c all up, no time limit, billed to your account. Quality is excellent.

You can set it up in the user facilities with your credit card number.

pcarlson

Post by pcarlson » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:41 am

Oh OK. I thought people could call my VOIP no. anywhere for local call. Oops, my fault. Oh well not to worry, they can call me and I'll call them back. Or they can just pay for long distance, and I never will :) he he

Thanks for the replies!!

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:35 pm

The problem at the moment is that Exetel's DIDs are mainly in capital cities.

Other VSPs that have DIDs "all over" are MNF and Pennytel.

I currently use VSPs for my DIDs in a number of "country" towns..... and have them re-directed to my home office and mobile phone.

You could always arrange for your folks to have their own local DID - so that when they ring it, they are connected to your Canberra phone.

If you used the same VSP, their call would only cost their local call charge.

Regards,

Harry.