VOIP drops out when using Eftpos Terminal

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
DazzleMe

VOIP drops out when using Eftpos Terminal

Post by DazzleMe » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:09 pm

Hi all,

I have a problem when using VOIP service with an Eftpos machine.

When I am on a VOIP call and one of my employees use the Eftpos machine the phone line goes dead. Currently, we have 512/128 ADSL and are running a NB9W router/modem.

The Eftpos machine is connected directly to the phone line with the ADSL and the VOIP line comes from the modem.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Or have any suggestions of what could be causing it?

Thanks
DazzleMe

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VOIP drops out when using Eftpos Terminal

Post by Dazzled » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:59 pm

I don't know how Eftpos machines use the spectrum, but a handout I have states:

"What are the phone line requirements for EFTPOS facilities?
Westpac EFTPOS terminals can be used through any analogue phone line or port. Our terminals also operate on the Telstra Argent ISDN network. However we recommend a dedicated phone line for your Westpac EFTPOS terminal to avoid communication conflicts between phones, faxes or Internet."

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:10 pm

I just Googled around, and spotted this, which may help - http://www.keycorp.net/NewsResources/Ne ... tworks.htm, so a full ADSL solution is possible.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:25 pm

DazzleMe wrote:Hi all,

I have a problem when using VOIP service with an Eftpos machine.

When I am on a VOIP call and one of my employees use the Eftpos machine the phone line goes dead. Currently, we have 512/128 ADSL and are running a NB9W router/modem.

The Eftpos machine is connected directly to the phone line with the ADSL and the VOIP line comes from the modem.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Or have any suggestions of what could be causing it?

Thanks
DazzleMe

might be an obvious question but do you have a filter on the Eftpos machine and have you tried another in case it is faulty?

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:17 pm

If you still can't getit to work, try Tyro.com (Australian but without the .au). They have IP-based eftpos. Choice of ethernet or wireless ethernet (also a mobile version). Probably a better rate than the banks too.

DazzleMe

Post by DazzleMe » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:46 pm

Thanks Guys for your quick response.

1/ Yes, we have got a filter attached to the eftpos machine but I haven't yet tried changing it over for another filter.

2/ Unfortunately, because we run a Chiropractic service we need to use a HICAPS terminal, see link http://www.hicaps.com.au/0,,68220,00.html. The reason being is that the HICAPS system allows patients to swipe their Private Health Insurance cards and it calculates the gap on the spot. No need to put in a claim for a refund to their health insurance. Therefore, Tyro.com and Keycorp would not have this functionality on their terminals, as HICAPS use a special terminal.

3/ if another filter doesn't work then I will enquire to Hicaps to see if they have an ADSL or ethernet terminal. Looking at the user manuals on their website it doesn't appear they do. No harm in asking!

Thanks again, I will let you know how I go.

Regards
DazzleMe

IanS

Post by IanS » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:49 pm

Most EFTPOS terminals work on standard PSTN telephone line, using either a 1200 or 2400 baud internal modem.
Some connect via an ISDN line & and argent terminal adaptors, and I've even come across some multi-terminal sites, that are connected via a controller & and ADSL terminal adaptor. There are also terminals that run of mobile sim cards using GSM or GPRS for the data connection.

From over 12 years experience with EFTPOS equipment, you either:
1) Don't have a filter on the EFTPOS terminal.
2) The filter is install back to front i.e. the line side is connected to the terminal & phone side is connected to the wall socket.
3) The filter is dead.
4) The EFTPOS terminal may be faulty (the internal modem can die & short out the phone line when attempting to perform a transaction, thus dropping out the ADSL service)

If the EFTPOS transaction completes correctly, it's most likley option 1,2 or 3 above. If the transaction fails, it could be option 4.

Depending on your arrangement with the EFTPOS terminal supplier (bank), if you're paying a monthly fee, then the bank will normally arrange for technician to call out & replace the terminal as part of your "rental agreement". So check the filter first & if its installed OK, then phone your EFTPOS help desk.

Ian

IanS

Post by IanS » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:56 pm

DazzleMe wrote: 3/ if another filter doesn't work then I will enquire to Hicaps to see if they have an ADSL or ethernet terminal. Looking at the user manuals on their website it doesn't appear they do. No harm in asking!

Even if your bank offers ADSL or ethernet terminals, Hicaps terminals will probably still need to use the phoneline for the Hicaps transactions as they normally dial 1800 numbers for these types of "auxillary" services.

If you have more than 1 phoneline you may be able to plug the EFTPOS terminal to another line.

DazzleMe

Post by DazzleMe » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:41 pm

Thanks Guys,

Sorry I took so long to respond.

Yes, it was a faulty filter.

All fixed now.

Cheers