VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
bingggo
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:08 pm

VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by bingggo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:29 pm

Today my Exetel VOIP service suddenly stopped giving me the outgoing ring sound as it makes the call, and neither party can hear each other when the outbound party answers my call!

Nothing changed at my 7402VGP router end, which handles the VOIP. Anyone else had this problem?

B

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by jokiin » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:21 pm

bingggo wrote:Today my Exetel VOIP service suddenly stopped giving me the outgoing ring sound as it makes the call, and neither party can hear each other when the outbound party answers my call!

Nothing changed at my 7402VGP router end, which handles the VOIP. Anyone else had this problem?

B
haven't seen any reports of problems, have you rebooted your router since?

Bart7010
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:05 pm

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by Bart7010 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:26 am

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem - I am using a Billion Bipac 7402VGP.

Am unable to log a Fault Ticket as Exetel have not associated my email addresses with the my service when they were transferred a couple of weeks ago :shock: The Fault Ticket page will not allow me to log a fault ticket without a current email address that it provides from a drop down box - no association means no emails on the drop down box and cannot log a fault without an email address :?

Anyway - my problem is pretty much the same as yours - when calling out the Voip handset provides no tone when the phone being called rings - when it is answered there is either no audio or the call is terminated. Appeared to have happened sometime yesterday (Friday Dec 12).

There have been no hardware or configuration changes at my end.....Very frustrating!

I guess I will have to wait till Exetel Support commence at 12.30 and call to see if anybody can help....

Bart70

bingggo
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:08 pm

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by bingggo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:21 am

I have restarted my router several times, turned it off for half an hour, reset it to factory defaults and reconfigured it. No luck.

I can still make VOIP calls using my Exetel VOIP from my computer's softphone, so something appears to have happened to the router.

I gather from Whirlpool posts that quite a few people eventually get this problem eventually - looks like a replacement may be necessary?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 1813
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:33 am
Location: Sydney

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by Gidget » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 am

This appears to be a repeat of a problem that first arose on Thursday. I experienced it with a Netcomm V300. The V300 has worked fine (including today) since whatever issue was fixed. This current problem may, or may not, be limited to the Billion Bipac 7402VGP. I'll report it and see if I can get someone to look into it.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Bart7010
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:05 pm

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by Bart7010 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:16 am

Thanks Gidget,

I am unable to report a fault ticket as my email address for some reason does not register on the Exetel Fault Logging system and you cannot log a fault without one.

I am hopeful of a quick resolution - do not really want to have to go out and buy another router. It does appear to be a coincidence that a similar problem with the Netcomm's was experienced on Thursday than more than one occurrence of the same fault with Billion users the next day - I would loosely suggest that this may not be a router failure issue.

Thanks again,

Bart7010

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by jokiin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:20 am

Bart7010 wrote:Thanks Gidget,

I am unable to report a fault ticket as my email address for some reason does not register on the Exetel Fault Logging system and you cannot log a fault without one.

I am hopeful of a quick resolution - do not really want to have to go out and buy another router. It does appear to be a coincidence that a similar problem with the Netcomm's was experienced on Thursday than more than one occurrence of the same fault with Billion users the next day - I would loosely suggest that this may not be a router failure issue.

Thanks again,

Bart7010
can you post the settings you have entered in your router please?

Bart7010
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:05 pm

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by Bart7010 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:50 am

Hi,

Router settings as follows:

Sip= Enable
Silence Suppresion: Disable
RTTP Port: 5100
Region: Australia
Voice QOS, DSCP Marking: Premium
Registrar Address: 202.177.222.24 (Have been previously advised by Exetel that this is same as sip1@exetel.com.au)
Registrar Port: 5060
Expire: 3600
User Domain/Realm (Blank)
Outbound Proxy Address (Blank)
Outbound Proxy Port: 5060

Advanced Settings:
Voice Through IP Interface: ipwan
Voice Frame Size: 20ms
Dial Plan Priority: Mode 1
PSTN Voltage Config Onhook: 18 Offhook: 4

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by jokiin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:40 pm

Bart7010 wrote:Hi,
Registrar Address: 202.177.222.24 (Have been previously advised by Exetel that this is same as sip1@exetel.com.au)
the registrar address is 58.96.1.2

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 1813
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:33 am
Location: Sydney

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by Gidget » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:41 pm

Hi Bart7010

The Registrar address is wrong (that is an old IP, not the current one which has been in use for a long time now).

You should use sip1.exetel.com.au rather than an IP address because then if Exetel changes the IP address in the future you won't have a problem.

I don't know if changing this will fix your current problem, but you need to make the change anyway.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Bart7010
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:05 pm

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by Bart7010 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:11 pm

Thanks Guys,

I forgot to mention that I had tried 202.177.222.24, sip1.exetel.com.au as well as the old '58' ip.

The problem exists regardless. I have also done a number of router resets all as a 'cold' reset (left router for a period of time).

Same result unfortunately.....

Am hoping that somebody at Exetel can shed some light on it soon.....

Thanks again for the suggestions...am open to try anything!

Cheers,

Bart7010

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by jokiin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:15 pm

Bart7010 wrote:Thanks Guys,

I forgot to mention that I had tried 202.177.222.24, sip1.exetel.com.au as well as the old '58' ip.

The problem exists regardless. I have also done a number of router resets all as a 'cold' reset (left router for a period of time).

Same result unfortunately.....

Am hoping that somebody at Exetel can shed some light on it soon.....

Thanks again for the suggestions...am open to try anything!

Cheers,

Bart7010
what about your user name, password settings etc, have you got anything other than your number in the display name field? (I'm not familiar with your model but some ATA's have a field where you can set a display name, this may have previously worked with something other than your outgoing number)

darren123
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:39 am
Location: Sydney

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by darren123 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:38 pm

I have had the same problem at the same time and logged a fault ticket without a respose as yet I am using a Draytek Vigor2700VG. Problem started on Thursaday night and has not been resloved since.

Bart7010
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:05 pm

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by Bart7010 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:45 pm

darren123 wrote:I have had the same problem at the same time and logged a fault ticket without a respose as yet I am using a Draytek Vigor2700VG. Problem started on Thursaday night and has not been resloved since.

Hi Darren,

As the line is showing as 'registered' and it is actually dialing out (albeit without any handset ring or ability to talk) I naturally thought that the username/password would be correct. It is also the same username and password that I always used with no problem.

I am no expert though.....

Cheers,

Bart7010

AndyMac4321
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 9:41 am

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by AndyMac4321 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:14 pm

Me to. Just logged a ticket
East StKlida, Optus ADSL2, Billion 7404VGO

Post Reply