VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VOIP suddenly can't hear outgoing ring, no audio

Post by jokiin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:24 pm

Bart7010 wrote: As the line is showing as 'registered' and it is actually dialing out (albeit without any handset ring or ability to talk) I naturally thought that the username/password would be correct. It is also the same username and password that I always used with no problem.

I am no expert though.....

Cheers,

Bart7010
can you receive calls?

darren123

Post by darren123 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:40 pm

I can recieve calls but that is through my pstn when i direct my modem to use pstn to any number by adjusting my dial plan everything works fine as my modem is using PSTN to dial out I don't have a DID from my VOIP plan and don't know any one elses number internal to exetel.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:42 pm

darren123 wrote:I can recieve calls but that is through my pstn when i direct my modem to use pstn to any number by adjusting my dial plan everything works fine as my modem is using PSTN to dial out I don't have a DID from my VOIP plan and don't know any one elses number internal to exetel.
Ok, a bit harder to troubleshoot without a DID, have you done a rest and reloaded the details fresh, if it's still no go then you might need one of the guys on the helpdesk to look into it, might be something different about the accounts without a DID

Bart7010

Post by Bart7010 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:25 pm

jok11n wrote:
Bart7010 wrote: As the line is showing as 'registered' and it is actually dialing out (albeit without any handset ring or ability to talk) I naturally thought that the username/password would be correct. It is also the same username and password that I always used with no problem.

I am no expert though.....

Cheers,

Bart7010
can you receive calls?

Hi again,

I do not have a DID on my account......so am not able to see if I can receive calls or not.

Appears several ppl are having the problem and have logged fault tickets......I guess when time permits Exetel will look into it. Would have been nice to have it rectified quickly....such is life.

Thanks to everyone who has assisted thus far.

Bart7010

bingggo

Post by bingggo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:45 am

Over the last year or two I've often entered an email address in the help desk and confirmed the code, but my email address never shows up in the list... but suffice it to say, I've still got the 7402vgp no audio problem with the same settings as above (sip1.exetel.com.au IP).

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:38 am

bingggo wrote:Over the last year or two I've often entered an email address in the help desk and confirmed the code, but my email address never shows up in the list... but suffice it to say, I've still got the 7402vgp no audio problem with the same settings as above (sip1.exetel.com.au IP).
no audio is most often a NAT or firewall problem, if you can post more specific detail about your setup and how it is configured we might be able to point you in the right direction

LHVWB

Post by LHVWB » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:19 pm

I am currently having exactly the same issue. My VOIP has been working fine for the least year and a half (I have the Billion 7401VGP) and I haven't changed the settings recently. My firewal and nat settings are still the same as they have always been, so I am pretty sure its not at my end.

I'm really annoyed because I looked at my meter and I am getting charged for phone calls that aren't actually working, I will make a ticket as well. :(
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:39 pm

LHVWB wrote:I am currently having exactly the same issue. My VOIP has been working fine for the least year and a half (I have the Billion 7401VGP) and I haven't changed the settings recently. My firewal and nat settings are still the same as they have always been, so I am pretty sure its not at my end.
there has been a new SIP server installed so even though you haven't changed any settings on your end there may be something in your config that won't work with the new server, if you can post your configuration it may help to pinpoint the problem

Bart7010

Post by Bart7010 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:19 pm

Well Gents I have fixed my problem......I have just signed up with another provider.

Of all weeks I need my phone it is this week and from past performance from Exetel at chasing up VOIP problems I really don't have the confidence to sit this one out....been there too many times before.

I exerienced problems some time ago when Exetel changed a server and had sporadic service for weeks whilst they blamed everything but their new server....until they realised. Am not heading down that track again.

Thanks everyone for your help......but have been offline now since Thursday and need my phone back.

Cheers,

Bart7010

darren123

Post by darren123 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:14 pm

I am understanding the SIP server has been changed is the new server 202.177.222.24 as I cannot ping this server. I resolve sip1.exetel.com.au as 58.96.1.2

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:20 pm

darren123 wrote:I am understanding the SIP server has been changed is the new server 202.177.222.24 as I cannot ping this server. I resolve sip1.exetel.com.au as 58.96.1.2
No, the correct server remains as 58.96.1.2 - as I wrote earlier in this thread, however, you should always use sip1.exetel.com.au in preference.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Bart7010

Post by Bart7010 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:58 pm

Gidget wrote:
darren123 wrote:I am understanding the SIP server has been changed is the new server 202.177.222.24 as I cannot ping this server. I resolve sip1.exetel.com.au as 58.96.1.2
No, the correct server remains as 58.96.1.2 - as I wrote earlier in this thread, however, you should always use sip1.exetel.com.au in preference.

Gidget

Makes no difference to me.....I can use 202.177.222.24, or sip1.exetel.com.au, or 58.96.1.2

Same result - account is registering but no ringing tone on VOIP handset when phone being called is ringing, and no audio either way when it is answered. Was working fine up until Thursday.

Bart7010

darren123

Post by darren123 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:22 pm

I have resloved my VOIP issue by changing the plan to include DID it seems as though the people with out DID cannot dial out any more.
Created a new VOIP account with DID and then canceled my old VOIP plan.
So yes this would be an Exetel issue

Bart7010

Post by Bart7010 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:53 pm

darren123 wrote:I have resloved my VOIP issue by changing the plan to include DID it seems as though the people with out DID cannot dial out any more.
Created a new VOIP account with DID and then canceled my old VOIP plan.
So yes this would be an Exetel issue
How long did it take for the new DID account to be activated?

I just tried the same - have put the new settings into the Router and saved/rebooted but after 15mins I am still not able to register.....

Was there a time delay between when you ordered and were able to register?

Edit: Yep...took about 20 mins...is now up and running with a DID account. Looks like the original problem relates to Exetel users with non-DID accounts.

Bart7010

bingggo

Post by bingggo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Ok, my parents and I have three separate Exetel ADSL/VOIP accounts and Billion routers (2x 7402vgp, 1x 7401vgp) and they're all experiencing this problem now. None have DIDs (I think). Have emailed support.