VOIP call - poor voice quality while streaming

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
syncmaster

VOIP call - poor voice quality while streaming

Post by syncmaster » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:14 am

Hi

wishing to share this topic with some fellow users who have same problem.
I searched the same topic in the forum quickly in vain but please let me know if my question is already answered somewhere else.

Issue;
VOIP voice quality is so poor (voice is breaking up intermittently) I cannot understand what the person talks over VOIP WHILE VIEWING STREAMING CONTENTS / DOWNLOADING LARGE FILES.

My settings;
I am using a modem (netcomm NB5plus4w) plus VOIP gateway. Both working fine without any error or service interruption except this issue above. I can make VOIP calls and receive calls no problems.
With model manual instruction, I have QoS set in my modem in order to put VOIP traffic as first priority, but instruction in the manual is not specifically in detail for VOIP QoS setting so obviously it doesn't work as intended.

Can someone let me know where to refer to set up VOIP QoS in detail or show me how to rectify this issue?

Thanks,

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VOIP call - poor voice quality while streaming

Post by Dazzled » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:30 am

If you have the manual (http://netcomm.com.au/__data/assets/fil ... s4W_UG.pdf), QoS is on p45 (Serious geekspeak warning)

Edit: Netcomm's idea of help is this piece of garbage: http://kb.netcomm.com.au/kb/print.asp?id=940&Lang=1
And their FAQ at http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/adsl ... ME=support says QoS only works upstream.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:54 am

Dazzled wrote:If you have the manual (http://netcomm.com.au/__data/assets/fil ... s4W_UG.pdf), QoS is on p45 (Serious geekspeak warning)

Edit: Netcomm's idea of help is this piece of garbage: http://kb.netcomm.com.au/kb/print.asp?id=940&Lang=1
And their FAQ at http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/adsl ... ME=support says QoS only works upstream.
there is always a much greater chance of saturating an upstream link and it is likely the cause of the breakups in conversation anyway, I can download at maximum speed and VoIP remains unaffected

to the OP, what codec are you using?

syncmaster

Post by syncmaster » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:35 pm

jok11n wrote:
Dazzled wrote:If you have the manual (http://netcomm.com.au/__data/assets/fil ... s4W_UG.pdf), QoS is on p45 (Serious geekspeak warning)

there is always a much greater chance of saturating an upstream link and it is likely the cause of the breakups in conversation anyway, I can download at maximum speed and VoIP remains unaffected
to the OP, what codec are you using?
Yes, I am referring to the Users manual. especially from page 45 to 46.
I found there is no 'High priority' choice for traffic, which confuses me a bit.
I am not sure about 'Trusted' mode (currently set as 'untrasted') either.

As for upload traffic, it would be probably ok with VOIP quality while watching YouTube or ABC iView as they are only download.
What about P2P? Suppose I am using some upstream bandwidth. So I believe I need to priotise upstream VOIP traffic in this QoS. What is the percentage for High/Medium/Low)for P2P upload traffic and VOIP upload traffic?

As for codec, I haven't changed the setting from default so I would assume it's G.729.
Will it make any difference in quality? I will try different codec to see if there's any improvement.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:40 pm

syncmaster wrote: Yes, I am referring to the Users manual. especially from page 45 to 46.
I found there is no 'High priority' choice for traffic, which confuses me a bit.
I am not sure about 'Trusted' mode (currently set as 'untrasted') either.

As for upload traffic, it would be probably ok with VOIP quality while watching YouTube or ABC iView as they are only download.
What about P2P? Suppose I am using some upstream bandwidth. So I believe I need to priotise upstream VOIP traffic in this QoS. What is the percentage for High/Medium/Low)for P2P upload traffic and VOIP upload traffic?

As for codec, I haven't changed the setting from default so I would assume it's G.729.
Will it make any difference in quality? I will try different codec to see if there's any improvement.
P2P upload will definitely make a difference, G729 is ok as it is a low bandwidth codec anyway, what is your connection speed?

syncmaster

Post by syncmaster » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:06 am

jok11n wrote: P2P upload will definitely make a difference, G729 is ok as it is a low bandwidth codec anyway, what is your connection speed?
I got a result -
[(Your line speed is [*3.64 Mbps*] (3642 kbps).
Your download speed is [*455 KB/s*] (0.44 MB/s). )]

will it make any difference if I limit upload speed in my P2P software and at the same time lower the priority of all traffic data other than VOIP in Netcomm modem?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:58 am

syncmaster wrote:
jok11n wrote: P2P upload will definitely make a difference, G729 is ok as it is a low bandwidth codec anyway, what is your connection speed?
I got a result -

will it make any difference if I limit upload speed in my P2P software and at the same time lower the priority of all traffic data other than VOIP in Netcomm modem?
limiting the upload for P2P is definitely a good idea, are you on an ADSL1 or 2 service?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:03 pm

jok11n wrote:
syncmaster wrote:
I got a result -

limiting the upload for P2P is definitely a good idea, are you on an ADSL1 or 2 service?
Try with no P2P data and see if the issue continues.

syncmaster

Post by syncmaster » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:45 pm

JasonM wrote:
jok11n wrote:
Try with no P2P data and see if the issue continues.
I am with Naked ADSL2+ plan.
I remember when I am not using P2P, quality of VOIP is ok. I haven't used P2P for a while until recently and with P2P, I found the quality of VOIP is less than practical and acceptable.

So this is due to P2P hogging a bandwidth so I need to priotise VOIP traffic (up and down) as first priority.
But my netcomm NB5Plus4w doesn't seem to have QoS setting to make any specific traffic as High priority.
(Please let me know if any of you know if there is any 'High priority' setting).

So I will sut P2P traffic (both up and down) as low priority.
Also in P2P software setting, I will limit the bandwidth and see how it goes.
I will keep posting.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:23 pm

syncmaster wrote: I am with Naked ADSL2+ plan.
I remember when I am not using P2P, quality of VOIP is ok. I haven't used P2P for a while until recently and with P2P, I found the quality of VOIP is less than practical and acceptable.

So this is due to P2P hogging a bandwidth so I need to priotise VOIP traffic (up and down) as first priority.
But my netcomm NB5Plus4w doesn't seem to have QoS setting to make any specific traffic as High priority.
(Please let me know if any of you know if there is any 'High priority' setting).

So I will sut P2P traffic (both up and down) as low priority.
Also in P2P software setting, I will limit the bandwidth and see how it goes.
I will keep posting.
have you tried disabling the QOS altogether, I know a lot of routers don't do this particularly well, maybe give it a try without and without P2P running, if it's ok then perhaps use P2P again but limit the upload from within the program itself rather than it flooding your router and the router trying to deal with it

syncmaster

Post by syncmaster » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:10 am

jok11n wrote:
have you tried disabling the QOS altogether, I know a lot of routers don't do this particularly well, maybe give it a try without and without P2P running, if it's ok then perhaps use P2P again but limit the upload from within the program itself rather than it flooding your router and the router trying to deal with it

Thanks for your advice.
I remembered that before I started using P2P software without QoS, the line was ok with occasional voice drop (break-up). It was acceptable (say, voice quality rate 7.5 out of 10).

I have updated my settings as follows and the result is very successful - now VOIP quality is very good and there is no single recognisable voice break-up or lag. Now voice quality is 9.5 out of 10. (avoiding rating 10 as I don't know what the possible VOIP best quality is)

1. limit P2P upstream bandwidth (with P2P application) and
2. QoS setting - set VOIP traffic as High priority and also set P2P traffic as Low priority

I may need to fine-tune these settings later depending on the situation (eg, P2P download speed gets worse, etc) but the situation is now better than before so I am happy.

Thanks for your support.