Voip Account with HSPA

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
vadim@keis.com.au

Voip Account with HSPA

Post by vadim@keis.com.au » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:06 am

Just wondering if I can use VOIP account which bundled with HSPA on Optus cable account (non-exetel) using ATA? Which ATA would you recommend?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Voip Account with HSPA

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:19 am

vadim@keis.com.au wrote:Just wondering if I can use VOIP account which bundled with HSPA on Optus cable account (non-exetel) using ATA? Which ATA would you recommend?
yes you can use it on your cable setup, my personal favorite ATA is the Linksys PAP2 but there are plenty of others worth considering also, depends what features you are looking for I guess

vadim@keis.com.au

Post by vadim@keis.com.au » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Thank you for this clarification. ATA is in my shopping list and the features I'm after are:

1. One single handset DECT phone connected ( with 2 handsets on the same base station).
2. The ability to connect existing optus PSTN such that all my inbound Optus calls would work as it woks now. I can not ditch Optus lines due to the fact that is is bundled with Optus cable broadband.
3. The ablity to make Voip outbound calls from the same handset. Preferrably if someone is on the PSTN line, I can still make a outbound VOID call from another handset (if it is possible).
4. Fallback to PSTN if Optus cable is down. ( did not happen for 2.5 years though...., so I guess this requirement would be low priority).

I also need faxes however I think Exetel Fax to Email will do me for now. ( assuming it woks fine).

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:18 am

A Sipura 3102 should do all that (and more).

Regards,

Harry.

PS Pennytel and MNF both sell unlocked 3102 for a net $40. I got mine from MNF and have Exetel and MNF setup on it.

kevii

Post by kevii » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:30 am

I am about to cancel my Engin service (out of contract now) and get them to unlock my 3102 ATA.

I am new to Exetel but very happy so far. I am using the 5GB HSPA with the USB modem connected to my Vista laptop and I am sharing that with my wife's XP laptop via ICS.

Can someone point me to step by step instructions for getting the 3102 working in this configuration?

I am not having much luck with softphones and a USB handset.

Thanks
Kevii

kevii

Post by kevii » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:33 pm

Anyone???

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:41 pm

kevii wrote:
I am not having much luck with softphones and a USB handset.
what do you mean by not much luck?

kevii

Post by kevii » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:07 pm

jok11n wrote:
I have EXETEL HSPA on a Vista laptop and I am using a Ritmo (MyNetFone) USB handset with X-Lite or SJphone (also tried others) on Exetel and Pennytel. Been waiting a week for a MyNetFone account so I can try them. Like tring to get blood out of a stone!

I can't be heard on most outgoing calls and incoming calls seem to break up on each end and/or lag badly. Worse than using tin cans and string!

I have wireless handsets to use with my ATA if I can get it working.

When EXETEL implement call forwarding at least I will be able to get inbound calls with going through my HSPA USB modem...

Love to know the steps to use the USB modem with VOIP without buying a USB capable router.

Kevin

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:19 pm

kevii wrote:
jok11n wrote:
I have EXETEL HSPA on a Vista laptop and I am using a Ritmo (MyNetFone) USB handset with X-Lite or SJphone (also tried others) on Exetel and Pennytel. Been waiting a week for a MyNetFone account so I can try them. Like tring to get blood out of a stone!

I can't be heard on most outgoing calls and incoming calls seem to break up on each end and/or lag badly. Worse than using tin cans and string!

I have wireless handsets to use with my ATA if I can get it working.

When EXETEL implement call forwarding at least I will be able to get inbound calls with going through my HSPA USB modem...

Love to know the steps to use the USB modem with VOIP without buying a USB capable router.

Kevin
buying the USB router would be a better solution, trying to do this with an ATA via ICS is possibly problematic and may not give you the right results anyway as it is still largely dependent on how Vista manages the connection, the softphones you are using at the moment default to G711 which is not the best codec to use for 3G, you could try X-Pro http://braintel.net.pk/xpro-cnf.htm which also supports G729 and you might find that better, the MNF version of SJphone also supports G729 but it will only work correctly with MNF

I guess you can at least try all the softphone solutions first and see how you go and leave the router as the last option, I believe it's the best option though