Beta firmware for NB12WD

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
lingg

Beta firmware for NB12WD

Post by lingg » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:42 am

Dear All

Netcomm have release a beta firmware for the NB12WD. If you have the problems below we strongly recommend you update the firmware of the unit to the latest version located below.

- Call only ring once on the other end

http://www.exetel.com.au/files/NB12WD-F ... 07_RC1.zip

Nik11

Re: Beta firmware for NB12WD

Post by Nik11 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:11 am

The wireless phone provided with the modem dose not connect to the modem. will the update fix this as well?
i also have issues with not connecting to all friends mobiles phones.

Occy1

Post by Occy1 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:07 am

Thank you lingg update the firmware solved a problem that I was having with phoning my optus mobile.It would ring once and disconnect,the firmware update fix this thank you.
Land lines before the update were working ok.
Nik11 i did have a bit of trouble with the wireless phone,make sure the green light is off on the router page button press and hold until it comes on, then top left button on the phone press once scroll through to you get to registration, left top button and enter the pin.Takes about a minute then assigns a base no1 to the phone.

JackLH

Post by JackLH » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:31 am

I've updated the firmware and the problem with calling mobiles has been fixed (when a standard phone is plugged in). However, I'm still having trouble with registering the wireless phone.

I followed Occy1's advice, but can't get the phone to go beyond "searching". The page light blinks green but I can't get it to be a constant green light (the instruction manual says a constant green light means the base unit is in registration mode). This means I can't make or receive calls on the wireless phone. Any suggestions?

jomitrevski

Post by jomitrevski » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:04 am

I just purchased the NB12WD device and am getting the issue where mobile calls drop out after 1 ring. I have attempted to upgrade the firmware but I always get an error saying unable to upload image as it is an "illegal image".

I performed the following:
1) Unzipped the file
2) Used my ethernet connection to login to the admin page 192.168.1.1 using Internet Explorer
3) Attempted to update the software
4) The update fails with the "illegal image" error.
5) I have attempted to re-download the file and perform steps 1-4 again
6) I have downloaded the new version 8 firmware from the netcomm site and performed steps 1-4 again

Does any one know why this is happening. I know that I am using an NB12WD device and the firmware file I am using are correct.

This is extremley frustrating and would appreciate any help.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:26 am

That message or one very like it comes from the linux software embedded in modems. I don't have details of your unit, but there are several possibilities in other models, mainly resulting from checking the new firmware's release number. There is another simple possibility that will only bother Windows users, so look at that first. Try again, this time with all firewalls and malware suites turned off.

Windows is a security nightmare (unfit for average home use in my opinion), but with the router's inbuilt gateway you don't really need all that firewalling. I support CoreyPlover's view in this forum that malware checking of incoming invited data (downloads, emails, etc) is the main need.

jomitrevski

Post by jomitrevski » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:04 pm

Cheers Dazzled,

Your comments were appreciated.

To get my modem going I found I had to disable all firewall settings on my computer as well as restore to factory default prior to uploading the new firmware. Disabling the firewall settings alone didn't do the job.

So for anyone who's interested here is what I did to get the firmware upgraded on my NB12WD box.

1) Download the new firmware
2) Connect to the NB12WD interface using my Ethernet connection. Note: I am using Internet Explorer
3) Via the NB12WD interface I backed-up the existing modem configurations to a backupConfig.config file
4) Via the NB12WD interface I restored the modem settings to factory default
4) Disable Windows Firewall, Disabled Norton Firewall, Disable all malware blocking software.
5) Via the NB12WD interface I updated the firmware. Successfully :shock:
6) Re-applied the modem settings using the saved backupConfig.config file

As for the issue with the mobile phone only ringing once then cutting out this was resolved.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback and for recording what worked. The factory default bit isn't uncommon, and is mentioned in some user manuals - the existing firmware won't do the reload if custom settings are present. Firmware is always replaced by ethernet, as it will return your existing wireless settings to default, which is usually disabled.