New NetComm V90 - HELP

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
smoky_stu

New NetComm V90 - HELP

Post by smoky_stu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:47 am

I've just had my NetComm VoIP V85 fail miserably, and bought a NetComm V90, ahh, not good, can't get it to work at all, there are so many things to look at on the phones set-up I can't work out what to do, and the PDF that came with the phone is useless in getting anything out of it that works with the phone. Can anyone in this forum help me in getting it set-up to work please...PRETTY PLEASE!!!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: New NetComm V90 - HELP

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:13 am

I assume the ethernet cable is connected to your modem and you have power.
Are you using standard ethernet networking and a power adapter for the phone?
If you made a real mess previously, reset to the factory state (p16) or phone *09987654, phone on the hook.

P9 of the pdf manual tells you how to log in to the configuration screen using your internet browser.
Have you got as far as the configuration screen on p10 of the manual?
After that: First Ensure LAN port is in DHCP client mode, and Profile 1 is checked.

Then: page 10 shows a setup for the Australian VoIP company Engin. Change the illustrated phone number & display name to your DID, also the auth ID. Change the illustrated proxy and registrar (Engin) to 58.96.1.2 Expire time is 360. The password is on an email you received from Exetel.

When finished click on Save Changes. At this point don't worry about Dial Plans etc, just get it working.

smoky_stu

Post by smoky_stu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:15 am

Dazzled wrote:I assume the ethernet cable is connected to your modem and you have power.
Are you using standard ethernet networking and a power adapter for the phone?
If you made a real mess previously, reset to the factory state (p16) or phone *09987654, phone on the hook.

P9 of the pdf manual tells you how to log in to the configuration screen using your internet browser.
Have you got as far as the configuration screen on p10 of the manual?
After that: First Ensure LAN port is in DHCP client mode, and Profile 1 is checked.

Then: page 10 shows a setup for the Australian VoIP company Engin. Change the illustrated phone number & display name to your DID, also the auth ID. Change the illustrated proxy and registrar (Engin) to 58.96.1.2 Expire time is 360. The password is on an email you received from Exetel.

When finished click on Save Changes. At this point don't worry about Dial Plans etc, just get it working.
Thanks for your quick response. I have reset the phone, and now have the ability to get onto the webpage through it's IP, so I can configure it, but heck, don't know why I don't write down stuff or print things off, I've forgotton my phone number and don't know any of the details to get the information into the settings of the phone. How do I obtain those again from Exetel, its not easy dealing with them on this sort of thing usually, and it's been a couple of years since I had the other VoIP phone working.

If I enter the 58.96.1.2 to the areas in the SIP Proxy and SIP register it comes back as invalid. These things shouldn't be this hard to set up, honestly, it's not easy as the last V85 phone was.

I do appreciate your help, and hope it can be ongoing till this crazy phone is working ... :roll:

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:16 am

smoky_stu wrote:I've forgotton my phone number and don't know any of the details to get the information into the settings of the phone. How do I obtain those again from Exetel
Log into your User Facilities, click on "VOIP" in the left-hand menu, then on "Change VOIP Services" in the sub-menu. On the right-hand page that opens you will find your "VOIP Number" and "VOIP Password".

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

smoky_stu

Post by smoky_stu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:22 am

Gidget wrote:
smoky_stu wrote:I've forgotton my phone number and don't know any of the details to get the information into the settings of the phone. How do I obtain those again from Exetel
Log into your User Facilities, click on "VOIP" in the left-hand menu, then on "Change VOIP Services" in the sub-menu. On the right-hand page that opens you will find your "VOIP Number" and "VOIP Password".

Gidget

lol...yeh, dumb me, did just that, but phone now sits there trying to log into the service and that's about it...I'm at wits end to understand the rhetoric of the PDF file sent with the phone, so next step seeing there is no help available to set it up to working is to sell it on Ebay and go with the easy option of a normal phone with the bit in between.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:58 am

If it's coming back as invalid, assuming the proxy address is as per my last post, you have not used the correct auth id and password. Persevere, because it is no more complex than an ATA. You are probably being put off by the telecom engineers' terms.

smoky_stu

Post by smoky_stu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:10 pm

Dazzled wrote:If it's coming back as invalid, assuming the proxy address is as per my last post, you have not used the correct auth id and password. Persevere, because it is no more complex than an ATA. You are probably being put off by the telecom engineers' terms.

Yeh, read up on ATA and it put me off, not really sure where to go from here, as I put in your suggested IP address where SIP goes, and it still comes back as invalid. Is there a place that explains it from beginning to end with what needs to go where Dazzled? As the PDF that came with it is useless?

Sorry to keep worrying you.... :(

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:25 pm

Can you get to the config page in your browser and take a screenshot and post it? Otherwise, could you copy the text on that page, and post it? It will help forum readers to spot what it is you have wrong. These all-in-one phone handsets aren't common in homes, but they are basically only ATAs for setup.

BTW, Netcomm manuals aren't bad at all, you should see some of them.

smoky_stu

Post by smoky_stu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:53 pm

Dazzled wrote:Can you get to the config page in your browser and take a screenshot and post it? Otherwise, could you copy the text on that page, and post it? It will help forum readers to spot what it is you have wrong. These all-in-one phone handsets aren't common in homes, but they are basically only ATAs for setup.

BTW, Netcomm manuals aren't bad at all, you should see some of them.

I tried to do just that, but when I tried to load up the Word document with the screenshot on it, this site said it won't accept .doc files, incredible as they are the worlds most common files. And I hate to disagree with someone trying to help me, but the NetComm manuals may be ok for those who can understand the jibberish, but not me nor the some who have been trying to help me this morning. The PDF file is not a good read, it is meant for someone who knows the quirky nature of NetComms PDF's that come with the phone.

I went to the trouble of printing it off so I could read it easier, but to no avail. I'm at my wits end I'm affraid, this phone is so much harder than the V85 it's not funny.

Thanks for all your help Dazzle, appreciate your efforts.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:19 pm

Microsoft's proprietary file formats might be common, but not on the internet, which by and large runs Unix/Linux, and prefers non-proprietary formats. See if you can copy/paste the config boxes to a WIndows Notepad file (ie plain standard text), and then tidy it up and copy and paste that into the forum. Whatever you have wrong is bound to be one of those silly things that is so obvious you are no longer able to see it.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:11 pm

Just paste the screenshot into Paint, save as a JPG and upload the image.

smoky_stu

Post by smoky_stu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:17 pm

Appreciate all the help I'm getting on this forum, hope it keeps up.... :roll: .... all must be getting a little tired of my situation by now.

Here is the jpg of the screen shot of my Call Settings page.
Attachments
NetComm-V90.jpg
NetComm-V90.jpg (215.3 KiB) Viewed 809 times

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:25 pm

For starters ...

The Outbound Proxy should be 58.96.1.2

You need to include the VOIP password in the "Password" field - the password is in your User Facilities as per my previous post - note that it is case sensitive (capital letters must be entered as capital letters).

I don't know the effect of having 192.168.0.1 entered against "Home Domain" but you can probably leave it there for now.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

smoky_stu

Post by smoky_stu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:36 pm

Gidget wrote:For starters ...

The Outbound Proxy should be 58.96.1.2

You need to include the VOIP password in the "Password" field - the password is in your User Facilities as per my previous post - note that it is case sensitive (capital letters must be entered as capital letters).

I don't know the effect of having 192.168.0.1 entered against "Home Domain" but you can probably leave it there for now.

Gidget

Thanks Gidget....changed the Outbound to 58.96.1.2 and have a password in there now, took out the Home Domain. All done, but still.....ahhhhhhh.....not working! Oh gee...oh my.... :(

smoky_stu

Post by smoky_stu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:50 pm

Another thing, when I update on the page and go Re-Boot this should by all things being equal, get the phone working...(am I right)?

Here is another thing, when I do hit Re-Boot the phone goes through actions as well, but still doesn't work. The other thing is the settings do not seem to be saved when I Re-Boot and it goes back to this image, even though I have saved it before Re-Booting.
Attachments
NetComm-V90 - 2.jpg
NetComm-V90 - 2.jpg (83.75 KiB) Viewed 796 times