Voip quality

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
pcp20us

Voip quality

Post by pcp20us » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi All

I have been on voip for about 6 months.
I started on pennytel, and there qualilty went down hill, so i decide to use exetel as they are my ISP and people seemed happy.

But i am know experiencing problems. Most people complain that, this is a terrible line, or there is a lot of noise . Also it seems to drop the first word of converations that i start. Its like talking on a trunk line of 20 years ago to overseas. I ve tweaked everything in my router and played with the codec, till iam going silly.

I am on adsl 1 1500/256

Can anyone give me practical advice, as to my it is not good quality. I actaully think it has got worse.

Cheers :D

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Voip quality

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Please post your VoIP equipment. 1500 is fast enough for successful VoIP, provided someone else at home isn't chewing up your bandwidth.

Also check in your modem that you are actually getting 1500/256

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Dazzled wrote:Please post your VoIP equipment.
and anything else you have also, routers, switches etc and details of the current config, codec used, ports forwarded and anything else that might be relevant to the situation

pcp20us

Post by pcp20us » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:08 pm

Stck standard.

Only me using the adsl. Very lit use
Speed is Good
open router 824RLW with QOSthe codec exetel state to use G729 then G 711a-law
No other router configs to limit use.
No thing else configured.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:16 pm

These are rebranded Billions, which Jokiin is pretty knowledgeable about. You could look in the forum for his posts on Billion 7404 models, particularly concerning levels. They are tricky beasts. Meanwhile, have you assured yourself that your service speed is actually up to spec?

sable

Post by sable » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:32 am

Your Open router is locked to firmware v5.54 from memory which has the garbled voice problem when using Codec G.729

You should use G.711aLaw as 1st preference and G.711uLaw as 2nd

Other alternative is to forego your warranty with Open, break the firmware lock and upgrade to the latest Billion firmware

lush

Post by lush » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Possible similar VOIP Problem with quality of outgoing phone signal using X-Lite thru a E169 modem and MS lifeChat headset.

To narrow things down I use only the 711u codec (which seems to be better than the 711a flavour) and selecting the dialup (Slow) connection on the options. I also have the keep bandwidth reserved ticked. All other options are default.

The incoming signal is perfect. The outgoing is erratic. Looking at the statistics screen of the modem, the green (download)graph hovers constantly around the 10Kbs while the yellow is all over the place, but when it mimics the green one (which happens now and then), the outgoing signal is perfect too.

Creating some background noise pushes the yellow graph up to the green one and seems to make the outgoing signal more understandable on the other side.

It looks like as long as we can keep the outgoing speed up, the voice quality would be good, but as it is now it is unusable until it seems to (sometimes) automatically change a setting.

Any suggestions apart from breathing heavily before saying something?

Maybe it has something to do with the general speed of the connection. Usually is varies from 30 to 50 kbs, with the occasional peak up to 100. This variation seems to be more (internet)site related than anything else. It hardly ever drops out and whilst not as fast as cable, it's adequate for your average surfing.

Cheers,

LS

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:41 pm

lush wrote:Possible similar VOIP Problem with quality of outgoing phone signal using X-Lite thru a E169 modem and MS lifeChat headset.

To narrow things down I use only the 711u codec (which seems to be better than the 711a flavour) and selecting the dialup (Slow) connection on the options. I also have the keep bandwidth reserved ticked. All other options are default.
G711 isn't ideal for HSPA connections as it's heavy on bandwidth, a low bit rate codec would be a better choice

lush

Post by lush » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:09 pm

Isn't G711 the only possible codec for PSTN calls? Well at least none of the others included in the free XLite seem to work dialng a land line. What I find strange is that a crappy outgoing signal can suddenly become perfect (and stay that way) and when that happens the green and yellow graphs both hover around the 10-12Kbs, irrespectiveof the amplitude of the signal.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:02 pm

G.729 has very $teep royalties, so you won't find it in free software (well you can, but it's not copyright-legit). Speex is free and open-source, http://speex.org/, and is largely ignored by the telephone industry. Paid-for softphones do include G.729. eg https://secure.counterpath.com/store/counterpath/

lush

Post by lush » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:38 pm

Problem is speex=linux=not yet!
I'm exploring some upload speed tweaking options for XP ... will keep you posted if successful.
Thanks Jokiin and Dazzled.

lush

Post by lush » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:16 am

Sorry for my mistake : Speex is indeed a codec that is supported by XLite i.e. nothing to do with OS.
I did remove the QoS on the Network tag of the Huawei E169, so only the TCP/IP is installed and tickedand that seems to have fixed the problem. I now assume it connects using G711 and then switches over to Speex. I'd like to confirm this, but unfortunately I have not been able to see which codec it's actually using live.