PAP2T - "Small" VoIP Drama.

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Rattler

PAP2T - "Small" VoIP Drama.

Post by Rattler » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:06 pm

Hello All,

IN short.....I can dial mobile numbers but cannot reach any fixed line numbers. In coming calls are all ok and the quality is very good! My dial plan is:

(*xx.|000S0|121S0|[2-9]xxxxxxxS0|0[23478]xxxxxxxxS0|0011xxx.|1800xxxxxxS0|1900xxxxxx!|1300xxxxxxS0|13[1-9]xxxS0|xxx.)

plus I have tested modified versions using some advice from threads on here and on other sites. All bore the same result...mobile very happy to connect, land line goes to oblivion...well, just a constant beep.

So the question is what am I missing? It is very likely that I am not seeing the forest for the trees!! I have gone through the wiki, read the Super Guide thread, read the Trouble shooting guide for VOIP, searched limited to PAP2T +dial (and dial plan, and fixed line dialling) and so on.

What else might I need to provide?

Ports all check out, server checks, static IP etc, which must be 'ok' or the ability to successfully reach a mobile would not be present. Linksys PAP2T running off the Linksys AG300 modem/router. Again, all ports check out correctly. I have tried it with the area code prefix, supplying the "#" key after entering the number and even country code...

Thanks for any help! If I have missed something bloody obvious, just help and then have a chuckle when I am not here! :)

John.

JasonM

Re: PAP2T - "Small" VoIP Drama.

Post by JasonM » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:08 pm

Have you got any unusual characters in the "Display Name" field?

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:11 pm

JasonM wrote:Have you got any unusual characters in the "Display Name" field?
By unusual, I assume you mean characters such as : %^*@. All that is present is the number of the service I am on.

John

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:22 pm

The dial plan seems OK.

Can you try from the X-lite softphone?

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:10 pm

I will have to D/L it and set it up...or would you be stressed if I used a Linux equal? I suspect it will support Linux OS.

Damn just checked....not reported as working with 9.04 KDE4.x as it has some bugs. :(

Still, D/L'ed it, installed the dependencies and got it flying with some errors that I have now fixed (phew). While I have put in as much info as I can, it reports that the "Call is not allowed".

Does that assist? The information I used is based upon your setup guide that got the PAP running and dialling mobiles. X-lite won't dial mobiles so I suspect I have something missing there.

Thanks!

John

PS - Gave up with the Linux distro as I was not 100% sure that I could solve some of the errors it was presenting. So, fired up a windows box and it happily dials and connects via Lite. Does that suggest something at this end? Perhaps...but it remains interesting that I can ring mobile phones and not a fixed line. John.

PPS - Hari has sent me an email. I don't want to "double dip" John.

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:35 pm

Progress.....

Not wanting to sit and wait, I did some more research all of which frankly turned up zip results. So, I decided to reverse what I had done until it worked or got worse. Still no good. So, let's activate Line 2 and set that up with as few changes as possible and test if it works. Then from there, make changes until I break it...or if it fails first off, change until it does work. Good heavens....Line 2 decides to work first hit!!

Next was to compare against each other the different settings for Line 1 and Line 2. Since I made as FEW changes as possible to Line 2 - basically only put in the proxy settings, my UID and password, it was easy to find something that was different. The codec in the sent email suggested G729. When I have that set, I can dial mobile numbers but not fixed lines. Under Line 2, I did not change that. It was left as G711u. I then mucked around with other settings and the one that killed fixed line on BOTH Line 1 and 2 was the codec. In fact, I tested most of the others and they all worked.

Final test was doing a switch with phone hardware and leaving a message on a machine I know. Done. It all worked.

Thoughts? Perhaps the different codec has made it work by only masking some other problem I have failed to see.

Thanks,

John.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 pm

Rattler wrote:
Thoughts? Perhaps the different codec has made it work by only masking some other problem I have failed to see.
whatever you do don't restrict the device to a single codec, choose your default by all means but make sure all codecs are available as options some call types can fail if you don't have the right codec available

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:48 pm

jokiin wrote: choose your default by all means but make sure all codecs are available as options some call types can fail if you don't have the right codec available

Yes, they are all selected as available. I have not disallowed any. I have also set the PAP to release once finished. "no" is selected for "Use Pref Codec Only"...so I would imagine it ought to use whatever it can.

Thanks for the tip / check! :)

John.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:35 am

Rattler wrote:
jokiin wrote: choose your default by all means but make sure all codecs are available as options some call types can fail if you don't have the right codec available

Yes, they are all selected as available. I have not disallowed any. I have also set the PAP to release once finished. "no" is selected for "Use Pref Codec Only"...so I would imagine it ought to use whatever it can.

Thanks for the tip / check! :)

John.
if it worked on one line but not on the other then it is likely there is something still wrong, the default config on these devices is not for our market so there are a few things that need changing, if you can post your whole config we can probably point you in the right direction

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:48 pm

When I set up Line 2, I followed everything as per the Exetel recommendations for the most simple things such as UID and P/Wd. Then I made changes until it stopped working and that occurs when I go to the codec G729. So at the moment, BOTH Lines will work so I have disabled Line 2 and use only Line 1 otherwise I won't get inbound calls.

Of interest is that on the PAP it's G729a. Would that make an impact? I will get the cfg up as soon as I can...working out how to do that correctly. (getting a dump of it that is).

Thanks!

John.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:11 pm

Rattler wrote:I will get the cfg up as soon as I can...working out how to do that correctly. (getting a dump of it that is).

Thanks!

John.
Firstly, go to http://192.168.0.1/admin/voice/advanced (you may need to change the I.P. address as appropriate to whatever is used in your config) do make sure you are in the advanced section as logged into as admin or we don't see a lot of the settings needed
Do File -> Save As in your web browser. and save the entire page as an HTML file
Upload the HTML file to a free host such as www.mediafire.com www.megaupload.com or similar.
Post a link to it to this thread. This will allow us to see your settings (not your passwords though)

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:29 pm

jokiin wrote:Firstly, go to http://192.168.0.1/admin/voice/advanced (you may need to change the I.P. address as appropriate to whatever is used in your config) do make sure you are in the advanced section as logged into as admin or we don't see a lot of the settings needed
Under the PAP, I do not see that specific path. While logged in as ADMIN, I see tabs: Info;System; SIP; Provisioning; Regional; Line 1 and 2 and User 1 and 2. So I could easily post the incorrect page for you. The setting you are looking for I would presume are for the Line...but I shall await your confirmation.

In the meantime, I do have it working though I have isolated the PAP as the cause for drop-outs requiring a cycling of the AG300 router. In between that, calls are good. (Isolated it via switching modems etc etc etc :) )

Thanks,

John

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:40 pm

Rattler wrote:
jokiin wrote:Firstly, go to http://192.168.0.1/admin/voice/advanced (you may need to change the I.P. address as appropriate to whatever is used in your config) do make sure you are in the advanced section as logged into as admin or we don't see a lot of the settings needed
Under the PAP, I do not see that specific path. While logged in as ADMIN, I see tabs: Info;System; SIP; Provisioning; Regional; Line 1 and 2 and User 1 and 2. So I could easily post the incorrect page for you. The setting you are looking for I would presume are for the Line...but I shall await your confirmation.

In the meantime, I do have it working though I have isolated the PAP as the cause for drop-outs requiring a cycling of the AG300 router. In between that, calls are good. (Isolated it via switching modems etc etc etc :) )

Thanks,

John
other than the IP address which may differ depending on your setup this is the address you would see in the address bar when logged in as admin and in the advanced options, once there you save the entire page as an HTML file which saves all the pages together, this would give us what we need to see

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:28 pm

jokiin wrote:other than the IP address which may differ depending on your setup this is the address you would see in the address bar when logged in as admin and in the advanced options, once there you save the entire page as an HTML file which saves all the pages together, this would give us what we need to see
Thanks...but using that path only gave a 404 error. So I logged in under Admin/Advanced mode and followed your process, posted the file to the link below. I removed personal information for obvious reasons thus upsetting its efforts to connect to your servers.

Note that the dialling is ok until it looses connection and then my LAN looses everything including email, html etc. I then have to cycle both PAP and AG300.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2c04 ... f6e8ebb871

Thanks yet again!!
:D

John.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Rattler wrote:
jokiin wrote:other than the IP address which may differ depending on your setup this is the address you would see in the address bar when logged in as admin and in the advanced options, once there you save the entire page as an HTML file which saves all the pages together, this would give us what we need to see
Thanks...but using that path only gave a 404 error. So I logged in under Admin/Advanced mode and followed your process, posted the file to the link below. I removed personal information for obvious reasons thus upsetting its efforts to connect to your servers.

Note that the dialling is ok until it looses connection and then my LAN looses everything including email, html etc. I then have to cycle both PAP and AG300.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2c04 ... f6e8ebb871

Thanks yet again!!
:D

John.
ok, I've downloaded the html file and will have a good look through it later tonight, I have noticed a couple of obvious errors already but would like to go right through it and see if there's anything else that might be tripping things up for you first