VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Post Reply
notoriousft
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: ACT

VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

Post by notoriousft » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi,


My problem is with my outgoing calls, they hang up around 3 minutes or so. How can i work around that issue?

I am using XLite version 3 build 53117.

register settings
reregister every 180 seconds
min. time 20 seconds
max. time 600 seconds
send sip keep-alives checked, use rport checked

JasonM

Re: VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

Post by JasonM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:56 pm

Try dropping register to 60 seconds, and see if the issue persists.

notoriousft
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: ACT

Re: VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

Post by notoriousft » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:27 pm

I did that. Made a call to check it, after 3 min 10 seconds I didnt receive any sound from the other party.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

Post by jokiin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:30 pm

notoriousft wrote:I did that. Made a call to check it, after 3 min 10 seconds I didnt receive any sound from the other party.
sounds very much like a NAT issue, what router do you have and what steps have you taken to adjust it for VoIP use?

notoriousft
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: ACT

Re: VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

Post by notoriousft » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:33 pm

jokiin wrote:
notoriousft wrote:I did that. Made a call to check it, after 3 min 10 seconds I didnt receive any sound from the other party.
sounds very much like a NAT issue, what router do you have and what steps have you taken to adjust it for VoIP use?
I have a Linksys WAG325N, I forwarded ports 5060 and 8000-8005.

JasonM

Re: VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

Post by JasonM » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:00 am

notoriousft wrote:
jokiin wrote:
notoriousft wrote:I did that. Made a call to check it, after 3 min 10 seconds I didnt receive any sound from the other party.
sounds very much like a NAT issue, what router do you have and what steps have you taken to adjust it for VoIP use?
I have a Linksys WAG325N, I forwarded ports 5060 and 8000-8005.
Are you still running the original Linksys firmware on that device?

There's another way to test - bridge the modem, setup a PPP connection on your computer, and then test VoIP - this has inherit issues with security though, so you'd need to be confident of your Windows machine being updated.

Is the issue only occurring with X-Lite?

Noogs
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

Post by Noogs » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:50 am

I have the exact same problem as stated above.

Mine cuts out at exactly 3mins 30 sec using X-lite and with the actual voip phone but has no problems with Skype.

Ports are forwarded correctly but i don't know how to disable NAT and still have the router work.

It also will randomly cut out earlier or sometimes work normally but 99% of the time it dies at 3:30.

I'll be VERY interested in what solutions you come up with!

notoriousft
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: ACT

Re: VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

Post by notoriousft » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Are you still running the original Linksys firmware on that device?

There's another way to test - bridge the modem, setup a PPP connection on your computer, and then test VoIP - this has inherit issues with security though, so you'd need to be confident of your Windows machine being updated.

Is the issue only occurring with X-Lite?[/quote]
I m running firmware version 1.00.12, I think it s the latest one.

The equipment I use -linksys wag 325n- is one piece that combines modem/router/gateway, dont have another modem to bridge with router.

I ve only used Xlite as it is the most referred freeware softphone application.

Thanks

JasonM

Re: VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

Post by JasonM » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:13 pm

There's another called SJPhone, does that work ?

notoriousft
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: ACT

Re: VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

Post by notoriousft » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:19 pm

JasonM wrote:There's another called SJPhone, does that work ?
I ve heard that too, and tried after uninstalling XLite , couldnt get any sound in or out I guess its configuration is very complicated compared to Xlite thats why I couldnt manage it cause i m total newbie to VoIP area.

jimbob
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: Wollongong, NSW

Re: VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

Post by jimbob » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:24 pm

I had a similar problem where it would disconnect me after about 20 mins. I posted what fixed it for me here. I *unticked* the default setting under Options > Advanced > Network that says "Automatically hang up calls after xxx seconds of inactivity (in times of network disruption)".

notoriousft
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: ACT

Re: VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

Post by notoriousft » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:18 am

jimbob wrote:I had a similar problem where it would disconnect me after about 20 mins. I posted what fixed it for me here. I *unticked* the default setting under Options > Advanced > Network that says "Automatically hang up calls after xxx seconds of inactivity (in times of network disruption)".
Thanks for the rec, I`d tried that too, but it didnt change a thing.

notoriousft
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: ACT

Re: VoIP goes off around 3 minutes

Post by notoriousft » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 am

I used HSPA connection with Xlite but the call went mute again around 3 minutes. Today I disabled my VOIP account at XLite and entered my login details into Nimbuzz on my cell phone and it worked perfectly both ways. I dialed the same number as I did before from XLite and managed to make a call for more than 3 minutes. Therefore it appears that the problem is with XLite software. Interesting that many people use this software successfully but I can`t.. :(

Post Reply