Need some help to improve VOIP quality

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
lkml2000

Need some help to improve VOIP quality

Post by lkml2000 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:08 pm

I am trying to have the whole family switch to VOIP but it doesn’t pass the wife nor the kids test.

1. It seems that the voice is chopping especially calling mobile phones,
2. When the other end is not talking, the handset seems to completely silent (I think some company actually add small amount of noise to make it easier to the ear).
3. When dialling out, sometimes cannot hear the ringtone,(i.e. it is all silent until the other end answers the call).

I am using a 3102 and any suggestion for improvement?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Need some help to improve VOIP quality

Post by jokiin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:10 pm

lkml2000 wrote: I am using a 3102 and any suggestion for improvement?
would need to see your current config to be able to comment, also need to know what other hardware you have and how it is configured and what speed service you are using

lkml2000

Post by lkml2000 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:11 pm

Plan: alsl2+ inc phone (optus)
Router/modem: nb5+4W
ATA box: unlocked engine 3102
Handset: telstra 7300 wireless handset
ATA box connected to one of the 4 ports on nb5+4w.

Normally I can get around 5-6M sync speed (I think I should be able to get 10-12M, but am happy for now)
Download speed is around 5M and upload speed is around 600k.

What kinds of setting do you need? Do you want me to post it here?

Thanks

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:24 pm

Do you have port forwarding set up?
What codec are you using?
Have you configured the QOS for VOIP?
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Your internet speeds are more than adequate for good VoIP.

QOS will stop your conversations being ruined by other internet use. Port forwarding is needed to make the phone ring. These are modem settings, and you should check these.

What you have is really a (Sipura) Linksys SPA3102, for which a how-to exists at http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/spa_3102_guide.pdf, though it is not Exetel specific There are several threads here about these if you search on "3102". See if there is any help in these, and if not, post your ATA settings for someone to comment on. Be sure that your box is not reconfiguring itself to Engin settings.

lkml2000

Post by lkml2000 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:57 pm

I have been using VOIP for international call for sometimes, only that I want to have the other family members to use it as it is cheaper.

1. QoS: We are pretty low usage and no BT or P2P, and I check my usage everyday to check for abnormal usage pattern. We have 4 users and we only use less than 5G a month, and I use most of the quota. So there should not be BW problem

2. Port forwarding: I use it for all internatal calls without problem, so don't think it is an issue. And most of time the internet link is idle.

3. I downloaded the manual before, but this one seems give more details.

4. I am using 711A and packet size 20ms, had tried packet size of 30 and 40ms but seems not much different and I think I tried 723 and 729 (but not sure).

Thanks

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:17 pm

1. QOS is a modem setting to ensure that your ATA has priority over other net traffic. It is not related to heavy usage; rather it stops the voice being affected when a computer is online when you are speaking. If you never run a computer when you are on the phone, you don't need it.

2. If your VoIP phone rings when someone calls your VoIP number you are probably fine, but It is essential that port 5060 UDP is open up to the ATA, so it would be worth checking this in your modem.

3. JMG is a useful guide - just use the Exetel address of 58.96.1.2 wherever a proxy address is required (the example uses Mytel).

4. 20 ms is good. The normal setting is to use G.729 as your first choice, but do not disable the others. G.729 is more compact than the others.

lkml2000

Post by lkml2000 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:09 pm

I think I had the port forwarding in place already.
And I had been using engin, mnf, pennytel and exetel for VOIP.
My problem is to make it as close to PSTN as possible.
I was wondering if that is a handset issue but I have no problem using for international call .
the chopping happens sometimes, but not every time. I am OK to re-dial if the line condition is not good, but the kids and wife would not use if they feel the voice quality is not as good as normal PSTN. The problem seems to be worse when calling mobile phones.
I have around 30mS ping time to exetel, so it seems not a problem with that as well.

Any suggestion for what is the best codec for Exetel?
Any suggestion for what is the best setting i.e. packet size...or settings such as threshold level of silent and voice…. or something alike?

Anyone had simliar issues and how was it solved?

tmccoy

Post by tmccoy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:26 pm

I've found G711-A Law and G711-U Law are much better than G729. I noticed a slight choppiness to G729 on my Billion 7401 VGP R3 before I switched over to G711 as my preferred codec.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Billions are often improved by G.711, at the expense of increased bandwidth. This is a formerly locked Sipura which shouldn't give trouble unless there is a config issue (including dialling "home").

lkml2000

Post by lkml2000 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:42 pm

I don't mind the higher BW usage. So the best quality should be 711A or 711U, is this correct? Should I keep the 20ms packet time? would shorter/longer be better?
What other settings would cause that voice chopping problem? ( I notice this also happened last night when I am using for international call around 10:30pm, but not very serious, feels like using a speaker phone - if one side start talking, the voice from the other end would be chopped. )

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:55 pm

Are you dialling standard phones overseas, or mobiles or another VoIP phone? Insufficient bandwidth can "chop" voice also - was anyone using a computer at the time?

lkml2000

Post by lkml2000 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:49 am

The other end is standard PSTN number, there is one computer on but not using the internet.
I always check my machines first if there is problem and there is no P2P runing ( I do not allow them to use any P2P), all antiirvirus is runing and firewall is working. No virus nor melware found. I check all my computer regularly.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:11 pm

20ms is right. You could try encoding with G.711 as your first choice (an old standard, also called PCM). Most countries use the A-law variant, but Japan and the USA can use μ-law.

It is possible you have another setting to fix though. Make sure your ATA can handle the range of codecs, not just one, as the method used by the overseas system has to be decoded by your ATA.

lkml2000

Post by lkml2000 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:23 pm

Dazzled wrote: It is possible you have another setting to fix though. Make sure your ATA can handle the range of codecs, not just one, as the method used by the overseas system has to be decoded by your ATA.
I have no need to call the US nor Japan, so I'll use 711A.

Could you tell me what other setting are?