Exetel International VoIP Pack & Enhanced VoIP Features

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
wewak

Exetel International VoIP Pack & Enhanced VoIP Features

Post by wewak » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi,

I received the email notification above (as I'm sure everyone did) and was very pleased to see:

• Caller ID masking (you may configure a mobile or recognisable PSTN number which will display instead of your VoIP number)

However, when I try to configure my VoIP services on the website I can only see a spot to either hide or show my caller id. Nowhere can I see that you can actually change it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Charles.

wewak

Re: Exetel International VoIP Pack & Enhanced VoIP Features

Post by wewak » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:05 pm

No one else is interested in changing the number displayed on the caller id?

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:41 pm

I set this up almost two weeks ago when it established, it was in my member's facilities page. Works great, my VoIP calls now ID as my mobile phone number as I use VoIP on my Nokia E66.

If the option doesn't appear on your member's facilities page you may need to email support.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

wewak

Post by wewak » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:13 pm

I will. Thanks.

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:52 pm

I made use of the facility to mask my VoIP number with my PSTN number - it works beautifully.
However I noticed that this functionality has been removed from the Change VoIP/Configure telephone page.

Has this service been revoked or is there just a problem with the web page?

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:29 pm

Lawrie wrote:I made use of the facility to mask my VoIP number with my PSTN number - it works beautifully.
However I noticed that this functionality has been removed from the Change VoIP/Configure telephone page.

Has this service been revoked or is there just a problem with the web page?
I submitted a ticket about this as I would really like to set my PSTN number as my VOIP caller ID, but got email response: "Please find this option is no longer available."
Whats the john dory here? Is it going to be available again?
Its a great idea as it clarifies doubts about the legitimacy of calls to taxis power companies etc
RAND-NBN50- ZTE H268A

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:36 pm

Similar thread is http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=308&p=253070. One post referenced in that thread explains that: Exetel's VoIP supplier's (Verizon) current position is that they won't allow masked VOIP Called ID since, as a major US carrier, it violates their network as "Invalid CLI". Exetel are appealing/escalating with them on the basis that it should come under Australian telco regulations with the appropriate customer authority of course.

That thread also suggests that the option did appear back in July but has since been removed for reasons unknown to me.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:43 am

Very strange, hopefully Exetel can shed some light on this. I am planning to set up another VoIP account shortly and will be wanting to set the PSTN number as the caller ID.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:58 am

CoreyPlover wrote:Exetel are appealing/escalating with them on the basis that it should come under Australian telco regulations with the appropriate customer authority of course.
Corey thanks for the link...I do hope that Exetel get Verizon to see the light and apply Australian Law in Australia even if they are an American based company.
I suppose one could argue that if they dont then all US companies trading off shore should be subject to US laws, wow wouldn't Nike squeel :)
Apart from making things easier with Taxi companies etc having user set Caller ID may help to overcome the 000 issue by linking a PSTN number to a VOIP number.
RAND-NBN50- ZTE H268A

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:49 am

As I have posted below, I am a very happy user of this service, but I can see the obvious possibility of people masking their phone number with a number that they have no right to use, and then carrying out some kind of illegal activity that works because the receiveer of the call believes that the call is coming from the false number.

Exetel should probably only allow us to mask our VoIP number to a Home PSTN or Mobile number that we have registered with Exetel. Possibly some kind of a test could take place to prove that the number used in the mask actually belongs to the Exetel customer.

oblong

Post by oblong » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:59 pm

I was pleased to receive the Exetel e-mail back on 30th July saying "Caller ID masking" is available. But I can't see anything about it in my member's facility. Now I see suggestions in this forum saying the facility is not (or no longer?) available. What's the real story? I was planning to make more use of my Exetel VoIP number, but not if this feature is not available.

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:36 pm

oblong. it appears that Verizon (Exetel's VOIP provider) is a US based company and that this option violates some US laws.
As a result this option has been withdrawn for the mo whilst it is being worked out?
I understand that with 911 and issues of security, caller ID has become an issue.
One possible suggestion for Exetel would be to make the Caller ID automated so ONLY a PSTN number or Exetel provided mobile number that is directly linked to the account can be used.
This may be a way of ensuring that the Caller ID is not used for unlawful or terrorist means?
RAND-NBN50- ZTE H268A

oblong

Post by oblong » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Mixer wrote:oblong. it appears that Verizon (Exetel's VOIP provider) is a US based company and that this option violates some US laws.
As a result this option has been withdrawn for the mo whilst it is being worked out?
I thought that was the reason given some time ago before the announcement that masking was available. So I presumed that it had been sorted out. Hence the confusion about its apparant removal.
I understand that with 911 and issues of security, caller ID has become an issue.
One possible suggestion for Exetel would be to make the Caller ID automated so ONLY a PSTN number or Exetel provided mobile number that is directly linked to the account can be used.
This may be a way of ensuring that the Caller ID is not used for unlawful or terrorist means?
PennyTel do this by automatically calling the designated number, and having you key in a code you have been given after logging into your Web account. It would be no good if the number had to be an Exetel provided number, as my PSTN number is with Telstra.