NB9W doesn't work with cordless phones?

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Wolverine

NB9W doesn't work with cordless phones?

Post by Wolverine » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:56 am

Hi

I have a Netcomm NB9W with Exetel Naked ADSL2 which works perfectly with an old wired phone but when connecting the 2 different brands of cordless phones that I have tried both fail. I have tested the cordless phones on diffrent Voip enabled routers using them to make Voip calls, with no problems.

The symptoms are the same for both cordless phones:

Incoming Call: When answering the call the caller can hear us but we can't hear them. After hanging up, there is no dial-tone and no further incoming calls can be recieved after that and the router has to be rebooted. The Internet connection is fine all the time with no drop-outs.

Outgoing Call: There is no dial-tone at all so no out-going calls can be made. Once an outgoing call is attempted the line is dead and the router needs to be rebooted to get a dial-tone again.

As stated before, none of these problems are present when using the wired phone.

Any ideas?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: NB9W doesn't work with cordless phones?

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:02 pm

I don't know what could be causing this problem. Seems very strange that wired phones work fine but cordless ones don't. Have you tried a firmware upgrade on the modem?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:30 pm

If it works with a corded phone it should work with a cordless. What brand and model of phone? Have you followed http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_pdf/NB9_NB9W.pdf when configuring?

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:51 pm

I have uploaded the latest firmware from Netcomm.
Have followed the configuration as advised by Exetel. Like I said, it works perfect on a corded phone but once I plug the cordless phone in it dies and I have to reboot the router to get a dial tone.
The two models of cordless phones i have tried on the NB9W is the Siemens A260 and the Uniden WDECT 3355. Works perfect on other Voip enables router/modems, juts not the NB9W. I have been testing the phones and routers all week and still can't figure what is it about my NB9W that is so different??? From all the threads that I have read in forums regarding Voip and the NB9W I seem to have the only problem that has never existed. :(

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:02 pm

It is certainly unusual, and that modem rarely gives VoIP trouble. The Siemens phone is not so common, but working NB9+Unidens are everywhere. I can't think of anything at the moment, but it looks like a signal from the handset is not being received by the ATA, hence the failure to terminate call properly.