Voip over wireless broadband without computer , possible ?

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Conduit

Voip over wireless broadband without computer , possible ?

Post by Conduit » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:51 pm

I need a bit of guidance as I'm in unfamiliar territory here , what I'm trying to achieve is to have a working home phone using voip through exetel , over wireless broadband ( with good reception quality at my location ) using a panasonic cordless handset , without needing to necessarily have the computer turned on .

Where i need steerage is in the direction of hardware , i.e some sort of modem/router with ATA which can take the USB modem for voip use and can also connect wirelessly or by USB to the computer for internet use.

I've come across a couple of threads on Whirlpool that touch on the subject but were either old threads or not really definitive .

I've also googled , mixed results there , i.e. not sure about compatibility , fring and x-lite are just names to me right now ,( no experience AT ALL with voip ) I have no clue as to which works with what and good/better/best setups .

I don't mind spending a few dollars for a system that works , but I can't afford to waste money experimenting , so hoping you knowledgeable folk can help ?

Cheers :-)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Voip over wireless broadband without computer , possible ?

Post by Dazzled » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:00 pm

Steve's blog, Dec 08. http://steve.blogs.exetel.com.au/index. ... 08/12.html Look up the next month, Jan 09 as well. This is a common solution and you can run a computer off it as well as an ATA

Conduit

Post by Conduit » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:16 pm

You're a champ Dazzled , off to have look now , thankyou . That was quick too , my thanks.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:18 am

A newer, all-in-one device would be the Billion 7404VGX series (see http://www.billion.com/product/voip/BiP ... -PSTN.html). These are ADSL2+ VOIP enabled modems which have a USB port for the 3G USB mobile broadband devices to plug into and retail for about $230-$275. Similar to the blogged setup, but with modem + ATA in one. In either case, you still need to buy the USB mobile broadband modem (i.e. the Huawei device)

sable

Post by sable » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:42 am

I have a customer successfully using that Billion with 3G modem and cordless phone connected to ata port, codec should be set to G.729

currently he has one issue, cannot call Exetel VoIP numbers

Munka

Post by Munka » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:48 am

I have a HSPA modem and a compatible Netcomm router with a Cisco sip phone doing this, also have sip working faultlessly on my mobile phone.
Munka

Conduit

Post by Conduit » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:33 pm

I've just had a look at the Billion , under the link to modem compatibility - http://www.billion.com/compatible-3G.html
it lists the Huawei E160g as well as several others but the modem supplied to me by the exetel agent recently is the E160E ,
I don't know what the difference is , the Huawei website was unenlightening.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:16 pm

Conduit, Are you sure you don't have an E169? I wouldn't bother with Huawei's site, even the forum replies are totally opaque, and give the impression that the company only wants to talk in detail to telcos. You will find more info in the open source programmers' groups that are analysing them and writing software to suit them.

Did you find the recent Steve's blog with the Ericcson all-in-one unit he tested - http://steve.blogs.exetel.com.au/ (Aug 12)?

I have no experience with the Bipac 7404 (say $290), but I do know that other Billions are good routers that can be very difficult to get right with VoIP. There is plenty of experience with the Netcomm units ($175+$75), and the ATA is very simple. You could also look at the Draytek Vigor range at $400 odd. This site is useful for a general look-around http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/.

sable

Post by sable » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:42 pm

My client has an e169

have not tried the e160e but I believe it is compatible

VoIp set up is not difficult, I only supply Billions, just about use the defaults and they work. There used to be issues with codecs on older models whch has been fixed with firmware updates.

I have not experienced any difficulties with the current models

Conduit

Post by Conduit » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:19 am

Definitely an E160E Dazzled , apparently there was a shortfall in supply of the 169's and these were/are being used to fill the gap.
I still paid the same price though .