No internet access when on VOIP call

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Boony

No internet access when on VOIP call

Post by Boony » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi All,

I have a Netgear DG834GV with Exetel VOIP and it works fine, but whenever I'm on a VOIP call I cannot browse the internet. I try to go to a website but it times out waiting for a reply. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Cheers,
Boony.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: No internet access when on VOIP call

Post by Dazzled » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:26 pm

Are you on ADSL1 at one of the lower speeds? If so, it is probably QoS in the router protecting the voice packets from being broken up by computer data traffic. ADSL1 upload speeds are particularly slow. As speeds increase the effect becomes less noticable until it stops. You can test this by disabling QoS and seeing if the voice degrades instead, though most integrated boxes do QoS automatically. The solution to this scenario is a faster internet service.

bmessenger

Post by bmessenger » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi Boony

I have exactly the same problem, but not the same VOIP provider

I have the DG834GV V2.
I have an Exetel 8Mbit/384 ADSL connection (so plenty fast enough)
I am using a MyNetfone VOIP service

I previously had another VOIP provider & different modem and that worked fine, as you are not using MyNetfone that would suggest that this is might be a modem issue, although I haven't found any similar reports elsewhere. The DG834GV doesn't appear to support QOS so I can't change that, have you found any answers elsewhere?

outbush

Post by outbush » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Dazzled wrote: You can test this by disabling QoS and seeing if the voice degrades instead, .............
I might be wrong here, but I understand this Netgear modem does not have QOS for voip.

remy

Post by remy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:35 pm

Iam having a similar problem with a Dlink modem connected to a Mintar ATA on 8Mb ADSL 1 plan. All works fine but as soon as i recieve a call on my PSTN number the internet drops out. Returns when the call ends. Any help would be great.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:47 pm

remy wrote:Iam having a similar problem with a Dlink modem connected to a Mintar ATA on 8Mb ADSL 1 plan. All works fine but as soon as i recieve a call on my PSTN number the internet drops out. Returns when the call ends. Any help would be great.
Your filters aren't connected correctly.