wireless voip call failed

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
pooch2

wireless voip call failed

Post by pooch2 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:09 am

xlite 3 and xlite 4 beta, tried both.

Testing calls to 2 different house phones.

Occasionally they ringTHRU

Most times, they give a half ring, then say call failed. request pending a high/low siren, and a female voice, saying the call you are ringing is unavailable, try again.

I KNOW THEY ARE BOTH AVAILABLE AS i AM RIGHT NEAR THEM.

When this happens and I hang xlite up, the house phone keeps ringing.

If I do manage to get it to ring thru without call failed and answer and test it, upon immediately trying it again, it goes back to call failed.

Why is there so many niggly problems with exetel?

Everything seems to need a drama to cure...........

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: wireless voip call failed

Post by jokiin » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:31 am

pooch2 wrote:
Why is there so many niggly problems with exetel?

Everything seems to need a drama to cure...........

your problems are most likely related to X-lite and/or your router settings (possible NAT or port forward issue) not an Exetel issue as such, as you are using a softphone even your computer firewall or security settings could be contributing to the issue, if you can provide some details about what equipment you are using and how it is currently configured you may be able to get some help to sort it out

freddyzdead

Post by freddyzdead » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:31 pm

I agree completely; although x-lite is ok as softphones go (and I tried them all), my voip experience was an ongoing nightmare until I got a Linksys SPA3102 ATA. Although configuring the thing was far from trivial, once I did that I had no further trouble. Softphones are a waste of time and cause endless frustration. Having said that, I would like to try out voip on my pocket PC Wi-Fi phone, but the only way to do it seems to be to use a mobile version of sjPhone, another softphone. Not that important, though.

karLos

Post by karLos » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:06 pm

almost every quality and reliability issue i have seen using voip has come from using a softphone instead of an ata

pooch2

Post by pooch2 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:44 am

Are there any walkthroughs for dummies on ATA?

Like, what equipment do I need and how to set it up.

I want to use voip thru my laptop wireless usb dongle and thru my PC adsl1 dlink 502T.

They do both work now on xlite, but unreliable ring out.

cubic

Post by cubic » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:41 am

When you say "wireless" do you mean WiFi or HSPA? Usb dongle suggests HSPA, in which case you're adding another variable (the mobile network) to the mix. On HSPA, make sure you've got a strong signal and good download speed before you attempt to test VoIP.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

pooch2

Post by pooch2 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:30 pm

yeh HSPA.

What hardware is used for this if xlite is no good?

Is it a USB phone?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:49 pm

I have set up an Asus Eee netbook running the Netbook Remix as the window manager/OS (http://www.geteasypeasy.com/) with a 3G dongle that just plugs in and goes, and with Twinkle (dead simple and excellent) and Ekiga (volume control inconvenient) as the softphones - see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=33873 It works a treat, without any special hardware at all, and no tweaking. You could use a headset if you want to be less conspicuous. Some softphones can be tricky to configure, and Windows can introduce firewall/port issues. USB phones are basically a microphone, speaker and dial buttons all-in-one, and would usually require additional driver software, but they work as an add-on to a softphone.

cubic

Post by cubic » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:57 pm

For either Skype or Voip on HSPA I've certainly found a USB phone works much better than the laptop speaker and mic - those always gave me echoes, to some degree.

But even then you're still using a softphone. To connect using an ATA instead you'll need a network connection - either use connection sharing on the laptop (ugh!) or get one of the HSPA routers.

Probably a better option for mobile voip would be to get hold of a smartphone (eg. any of the Nokia s60 models) and use its voip client or Fring.

Edit: And whatever you use you're totally dependent on the quality of your mobile data connection.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

Mandella

Post by Mandella » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:32 pm

The X-Lite never worked well for me on hspa.
I am now using the MiniPax softfone, the only free one with G729 codec. Works well when the connection via hspa works well.
You need to remove all codecs from the list other than G729.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:45 pm

Errrr - have you wondered about Vidosystem's (ie MiniPax's) coyness about their location? (Registered to Jakarta, yahoo address)

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:55 pm

Dazzled wrote:Errrr - have you wondered about Vidosystem's (ie MiniPax's) coyness about their location? (Registered to Jakarta, yahoo address)
registered from Indonesia but I guess the lack of info is due to a free softphone that uses a licensed codec (G729)