VoIP Dialling Problem

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
dsc68

VoIP Dialling Problem

Post by dsc68 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:28 pm

When making a call from my VoIP service I get the ringing tone on my phone and the called party's phone rings as it should. However, after 30 seconds the tone on my end changes to a busy tone but the called party's phone keeps ringing. If the called party answers the phone they hear nothing but I still hear the busy tone.

fosfet

Re: VoIP Dialling Problem

Post by fosfet » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Have had the same problem for the last week. Times two.

Both a friend and myself. As we are running the same router and ATA, I thought there may be something unique to the combination. As there was no one else with this problem. Until now................

tim

hairygal2

Post by hairygal2 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:31 pm

I had this problem until I changed the RTP port from 5060 to 5100 .

Voip works perfectly now for two weeks ...

fosfet

Post by fosfet » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:11 pm

Hi Hairygal2,

Thanks for your input. I see from the setup guides that RTP port set to 5100 is recommended for the billion.

I have a linksys pap2na. I have not yet found any RTP port recommendations for this ata, and I doubt I have ever changed the as delivered settings which are:

RTP port min: 16384, and RTP port max: 16482

Until recently, it has worked via HSPD with very rare failures for the last 7 months, and prior to that for a few years on ADSL.

tim

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:14 pm

If these problems really are NAT traversal issues, have you tried putting the ATA behind a router DMZ?

dsc68

Post by dsc68 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:34 pm

I'm using a Billion 7402 so the ATA is built into the router and the RTP port is already set to 5100.

fosfet

Post by fosfet » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:51 am

Dazzled wrote:If these problems really are NAT traversal issues, have you tried putting the ATA behind a router DMZ?
Have set a dmz for the ata, will do some testing over the next weekend.

tim

fosfet

Post by fosfet » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:13 am

But a quick check reveals that nothing has changed.

There seems some pattern forming. I can make one call, but the next will fail.

Sometimes repowering the ata, or waiting for it to re-register, or just waiting, and sooner or later I can make one more call.

tim

outbush

Post by outbush » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:56 pm

fosfet wrote:But a quick check reveals that nothing has changed.
Under the 'Provisioning Tab' have you got 'provision enable' set to no,
If you have not your PAP ATA may have re-set itself to different settings.

fosfet

Post by fosfet » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:25 pm

outbush wrote:Under the 'Provisioning Tab' have you got 'provision enable' set to no,
If you have not your PAP ATA may have re-set itself to different settings.
The 'provision enable' was set to yes. I changed it to no, and this appears to have resolved the problem.

I dialled out about 8 consecutive numbers, with most going straight through.

I hope to be able to repeat the change in my associate's ata within the next week, and I will report the outcomes.

Thanks for your help, tim

fosfet

Post by fosfet » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:55 pm

I now have 2 ata's sitting in front of me, and both are exhibiting the same problem. To recap:

Calling a pstn number returns an engaged signal at my end, whilst the phone will ring at the other end. The person who answers will hear nothing on the phone. Therefore causing maximum annoyance. Sip calls are good.

The earlier success I had have now evaporated.

I cannot help but notice that there seems to be a rapidly escalating number of people who are now experiencing difficulties after years of reasonable service.

Telstra please note: The three hundred year ban on your services to my property stands.

tim

fosfet

Post by fosfet » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi all. Some news of relevance I think.

Whilst I do not know why this has become a recent issue, what would appear to be happening is that the calls out take some time to connect. So much so that the ATA is timing out, rejecting the call and generating a local “fast busy” (re-order) tone. Meanwhile, the larger network puts the call through and the called parties line rings, but the call has been dropped by the ATA.

Until I managed to successfully navigate the appalling Cisco website and procure a decent manual, I had been incorrectly interpreting the fast busy tone, as a regular busy tone.

I have had a fabulous increase in regular service by entering P15 into the beginning of the dial plan. This gives a blanket 15 second period before the ATA rejects the call.

There may be a more elegant way of dealing with this, as the above method relies on the whole number being entered quickly enough to leave sufficient connection time before the timer times out.

Will try a couple of other options tomorrow.

tim

fosfet

Post by fosfet » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:37 pm

For the linksys ata:

Set interdigit long timer to 10, and the interdigit short timer to 5 (regional page, advanced view)

Use Dial plan:

(P20*xx.|000S0P15|121S0P15|[2-9]xxxxxxxS0P15|0[23478]xxxxxxxxS0P15|0011xxx.P15|1800xxxxxxS0P15|1300xxxxxxS0P15|13[1-9]xxxS0P15|xxx.)

This is not 100%, but the improvement is so marked, there must be some relevant issues being addressed.

Whilst I do not know about the Billion, the dial plan items to look into:

The pipe symbol (|) is placed as a separator between instructions.

S0 cancels the short timer. If you look at one of the first items |000S0P15| as soon as the third 0 is dialled, the short timer is cancelled and the ata places the 000 call without further delay.

P15 inserts a 15 second delay. It causes the ata to wait for 15 seconds before it goes to re-order and generates the fast busy signal.

Previously I had never had much success with the exetel recommended dial plan, and had been using the default linksys one.

The above dial plan is the exetel recommended one, with a couple of seemingly irrelevant items removed(maybe from a forgotten era), and added items:

P20 inserted at the beginning to effectively give a 20 second off hook allowance.
P15 after each dialling option to give the network time to place the call.

For linksys users, the ata manual to look for on the Cisco website is titled: ATA_AG_v3_NC-WEB[1].pdf

Hope this can help, tim

ozbrit

Post by ozbrit » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks Tim, I have a linksys ATA SPA3102 with exetel on line1 amd Pennytel in the gateway. Even with the changes you've suggested I still get that blessed engaged tone when making calls and end up getting charged when the person on the other end answers :cry: but no conversation can come about.

sable

Post by sable » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Interesting to see that the 7 ring then engaged problem affects devices other than Billion