VoIP Dialling Problem

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
outbush

Re: VoIP Dialling Problem

Post by outbush » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:35 pm

ozbrit wrote:Thanks Tim, I have a linksys ATA SPA3102 with exetel on line1 amd Pennytel in the gateway. Even with the changes you've suggested I still get that blessed engaged tone when making calls and end up getting charged when the person on the other end answers :cry: but no conversation can come about.
So what sort of problems do you have when you dial out on your Pennytel gateway?
Are they the same as your Line 1 problems?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Sable, that's the first non Billion, I think. I am involved with, or regularly call Exetel VoIP accounts that use V300s, NB9s, an NB9Wmaxx and Dynalinks (all from the Netcomm stable) and none of them are affected.

sable

Post by sable » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:41 pm

I look after a small number of Necomm V100 & V300 as well as Minitar MVA11A's all with no reported problems

Also have a number of Billions where no problems have been reported

fosfet

Post by fosfet » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:07 pm

ozbrit wrote:Thanks Tim, I have a linksys ATA SPA3102 with exetel on line1 amd Pennytel in the gateway. Even with the changes you've suggested I still get that blessed engaged tone when making calls and end up getting charged when the person on the other end answers :cry: but no conversation can come about.
According to the manual, the linksys devices (or some linksys devices) generating a local “fast busy” (re-order) tone when they decide that the dialled sequence is invalid.

So by differentiating between the re-order signal, and a busy signal, you can tell if the problem is with your ata, or elsewhere in the network.

The fact that the call is going through is rather strongly suggesting to me that you have an ata generated reorder signal, and that the call is therefore being dropped by your ata.

So this then is the place to start looking.

This being said, it does not answer why this is now an issue.

I will always be deeply suspicious of the ultimate controller of the australian telco infrastructure. My suspicions are based on Telstra's track record. They do not attract customers by choice, they aim to conquer.

You may need to adjust your ata settings so as to compensate for changes in the pstn.

tim

outbush

Post by outbush » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:03 pm

fosfet wrote:This being said, it does not answer why this is now an issue.
You may need to adjust your ata settings...............
I would not change too many settings until this:
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=34201
has been resolved

ozbrit

Post by ozbrit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:52 am

sable wrote:Interesting to see that the 7 ring then engaged problem affects devices other than Billion

I get no rings whatsoever with my Linksys ATA. Before I realised I had a problem with exetel voip, I made numerous calls to a few numbers to find that their line was supposedly engaged. The number was only engaged to me, the call would be answered and the receivers of the call were beginning to fear that they might be on the end of crank calls. Even after we'd hung up, the phone would continue ringing at the other end and when they answer my voip meter charges me as if it were a good call. Fortunately, most of the calls are within the free 100 p/month category, but still not a good thing.

Until this issue is cleared up, I'll be using an alternative voip provider. Not being able to use my exetel sip is disappointing, but on the other hand, to worry the heck out of elderly folk is even worse.

Strange thing about all this, is we've successfully used exetel voip for months.
Last edited by ozbrit on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozbrit

Post by ozbrit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:51 pm

outbush wrote:
So what sort of problems do you have when you dial out on your Pennytel gateway?
Are they the same as your Line 1 problems?

Sorry but I missed this post, no probs with pennytel in the gateway and now I've removed exetel as line 1, penntel is working normally there as well. Can't try exetel in the gateway as calls need registering.

outbush

Post by outbush » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:30 pm

ozbrit wrote:Sorry but I missed this post, no probs with pennytel in the gateway and now I've removed exetel as line 1, penntel is working normally there as well. Can't try exetel in the gateway as calls need registering.
Sounds good then, your hardware and setup must be working fine.
Exetel seem to be working on some of the other problems, so your line there might come back soon.

keithk

Post by keithk » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Thanks Tim, I have a linksys ATA SPA3102 with Exetel on line1 & Telstra on the PSTN. This problem cropped up suddenly this afternoon & I changed the Provsion Enable tab to No, with no success. I then tried your remedy of interdigit timing & adding P20 & P15 to the Dial Plan & voila we have contact again. Thank You.

fosfet

Post by fosfet » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:29 pm

You are welcome.

I will be leaving the delays in mine at least until exetel have fixed the problem.
outbush wrote:I would not change too many settings until this:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=34201
has been resolved
1)The truth is out there.

2)Exetel and outbush, thanks for letting me know. I have a lot on at the moment, and knowing I don't need more time on this is helpful.

3)I suspect that my new-found ata knowledge will not go to waste.

tim

ozbrit

Post by ozbrit » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:12 pm

I've avoided using my exetel voip for a couple of weeks in the hope the problem I'm having will have been fixed. Unfortunately, it hasn't. I dialed five land line numbers after getting the standard dialing tone only to then get the dreaded engaged tone. I re-called one of these numbers and they confirmed they'd received a call without a caller. So my Linksys 3102 works fine with pennytel in the gateway but not with exetel as line 1, but it does ring OK when I try my mobile phone. Can anyone advise whether there's been any developments with this problem?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:15 pm

ozbrit wrote: So my Linksys 3102 works fine with pennytel in the gateway but not with exetel as line 1, but it does ring OK when I try my mobile phone.
apologies if you've mentioned it already but what codec options do you have set when using Exetel?

kenobiajay

Post by kenobiajay » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:01 pm

jokiin wrote:
ozbrit wrote: So my Linksys 3102 works fine with pennytel in the gateway but not with exetel as line 1, but it does ring OK when I try my mobile phone.
apologies if you've mentioned it already but what codec options do you have set when using Exetel?
I've also got the engaged tone problem. Calling mobiles and internation is okay, but local calls don't ring (only get an engaged tone).

In my SPA 3102, I'm using g711a, g711u, and g729 in that order. Putting g729 in first does not fix it.

ozbrit

Post by ozbrit » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:09 pm

jokiin wrote:

I'm using G729a. Please advise.

@kenobiajay Do you realise that while you (and me) get an engaged tone, the intended receiving party's phone rings normally and that will continue even when you've hung up on the call, when the call is answered no one's there and you still get debited with a call charge.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:32 pm

ozbrit wrote: I'm using G729a. Please advise.
do you have it locked to just G.729a or do you have this set as your first preference?
ozbrit wrote: @kenobiajay Do you realise that while you (and me) get an engaged tone, the intended receiving party's phone rings normally and that will continue even when you've hung up on the call, when the call is answered no one's there and you still get debited with a call charge.
the tones you hear are actually generated by the ATA to emulate a PSTN phone, you may have a NAT traversal issue though which is giving audio problems but the tones do not reflect this, could still be codec related though so probably best to work through each problem individually