AuthFailure Billion 7404VNPX

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
vbap

AuthFailure Billion 7404VNPX

Post by vbap » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:37 am

Hi all,

My VoIP line had an AuthFailure at (Melbourne time):

Nov 02 04:25:51 gateway:sip_SipTransactionManager_?:none: SIP Invalid Username/Password for phone 039482xxxx

As has been reported here before, the billion does not attempt to re-register after this failure. It works if I login to the modem and press the SyncNow button.
This is the second time this has happened (that I have noticed - I am new to Exetel and VoIP...!). After the first time, I changed the registration server from FQDN back to raw IP address. So it does not seem to be a DNS issue.

I want to follow-up with Billion, but just in case someone can check (on the Exetel side) why it might have failed in the first place? Obviously I have the correct details entered, otherwise SyncNow would not work. My Billion has a 240 second expiry.

Thanks,
vbap

vbap

Re: AuthFailure Billion 7404VNPX

Post by vbap » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:46 am

Just to update, it has happened again yesterday morning around 1:30am and then again this morning around 2:30am.

I logged a ticket yesterday, and the response was to restart the billion modem with factory settings and re-enter all settings again. This was the same advice I received at the Billion forums. (it's standard billion procedure to do this - it's the only tech device that not only needs regular reboots, but also needs to effectively be clean installed each time there is an issue...!).

Since I am overseas at the moment, I'll leave it until I get back - VoIP seems to be OK during the day (according to my wife, although there are some niggles) and when I call there also appear to be no problems. So until I get back in a few days, I'll just log on remotely each morning, and press the SyncNow button.

snudge42

Post by snudge42 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Did this factory reset rubbish actually solve your authentication problems? Did it basically give you a longer period of time between these errors? And then next time you got one (week? month?) you did a factory reset and it was all good for another wee/month?

Kassantha

Post by Kassantha » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:29 am

This is happening to me too - every night at some point between midnight and approximately 3am my SIP registration will fail.
Jun 26 02:05:30 home.gateway:sip_SipTransactionManager_?:none: SIP Invalid Username/Password for phone 039736XXXX
I have tried reverting to factory settings and re-entering the details, I have tried different expire settings, I have tried just about every troubleshooting suggestion made through numerous threads on this forum, I updated the firmware to the latest version and nothing works.

My VOIP has worked flawlessly for 8 months, then after the servers came down late May has dropped out daily (well daily if I remember to resync it...)

Getting rather frustrated as I do not have a backup phone line just my Exetel VOIP, and I have minimal mobile reception at the best of times.

Edit: Oops forgot to say modem is a Billion 7404VGPX!

sable

Post by sable » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:00 am

I believe the problems that have been affecting Billions have been fixed, however there is probably no harm in increasing the expiry time to 1800 seconds as recommended in another thread.

See here viewtopic.php?f=58&t=36265&start=120

Kassantha

Post by Kassantha » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:51 am

It's still happening:

Jun 27 02:00:29 home.gateway:sip_SipTransactionManager_?:none: SIP Invalid Username/Password for phone 039736XXXX

Will try the 1800 expiry time.

Thanks for the help!

sable

Post by sable » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:53 am

I now have the same problem, did a manual synch from within the router and all is ok now. It is the first time I have seen this error on my system.

As the error was reported when the previous Billion issues were prevalent it appears that the current "fix" needs more work.

What firmware are you running Kassantha?

I upgraded to 6.02b yesterday and got the problem overnight.

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi :)

I think the Billion issue that was addressed is the seven ring --> busy bug. Not sure if this AuthFailure bug has also been squashed. Sounds like perhaps it is still scurrying around under the server rack somewhere :) I'm not experiencing that problem on my equipment at present (Open 824RLW-4) but then I don't use the DID either.

Cheers, Mike.

kruuzer

Post by kruuzer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi,

I bought this modem a month or so ago and have been having this problem intermittently for a while, then daily for the past couple of weeks. Reverted to using an external ATA connected to the Billion a few days ago and have had no issues since. Have not tried extending the expire time to 1800 but did all the resets etc.
Would love to hear how anyone else goes with the longer expire time as I want to get back to a single box setup.

cheers

pasanm

Post by pasanm » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:16 pm

people those who experiencing the AuthFailure problem should use 1800 seconds as the sip registration time.

This has resolved the Auth Failure problem and it was addressed before.
Exetel Systems Team

Kassantha

Post by Kassantha » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:46 pm

Thanks for the advice - setting my expire to 1800 fixed this problem :)

IanS

Post by IanS » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:07 pm

pasanm wrote:people those who experiencing the AuthFailure problem should use 1800 seconds as the sip registration time.
Wasn’t this BUG supposed to be resolved with 1800 second registration time?

Obviously not... 6 days is no resolution.... in the past my VoIP stayed registered for 45 days+

Can someone PLEASE fix this issue once & for all

Revhead

Post by Revhead » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:46 pm

Same ONGOING problem here.
Increasing the timeout to 1800 secs just increases the time between dropouts from my experience.
Eventually the router refuses to authenticate and I am forced to manually re-apply the settings or power cycle the router.
The only thing that has changed here is whatever Exetel has altered in the last couple of months - nothing more, nothing less.
You know I just realised that this is costing me more in inadvertent calls through Telstra than I am being charged for my entire Exetel monlty bill for VOIP calls.
Cheers, Rev
ADSL2+ T-Bundled-1TB NSW
TP-Link Archer VR2800

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Exetel isn't going to fix this. Or if they do they'll only break it again in six months. It's time to give up and get another Voice Provider, or a different modem. The other VSPs are mostly cheaper and test their upgrades against more brands. Some even allow you to use your PSTN number as your CallerID.

Normally the AuthFailure doesn't stop outgoing VoIP calls.