Regional VoIP DID's

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
rooscoota

Re: Regional VoIP DID's

Post by rooscoota » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:48 pm

vk3xem wrote:I don't really see a need to have regional DiDs!
they are very handy for non voip family and friends to be able to ring a local number from within their region at the cost of a local call instead of dialling std at telstra prices.

cheers
roo☺
since: 03/03/04

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:34 am

rooscoota wrote:
they are very handy for non voip family and friends to be able to ring a local number from within their region at the cost of a local call instead of dialling std at telstra prices.

cheers
roo☺
That's ok for family and/or friends in the same region, but still no help for those interstate.
I just get them to ring me and say "It's **** here, ring me back" and hang up immediately, costs them hardly anything and we can then chat for an hour.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:07 am

rooscoota wrote:

cheers
roo☺
The point is that if you are on ADSL1 you already have you local PSTN number for inbound calls. If you have the right VoIP hardware with PSTN fall back your phone will ring whether it is a PSTN or VoIP call and you answer it, out going calls go via VoIP can be masked with you local PSTN number.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:28 am

vk3xem wrote: The point is that if you are on ADSL1 you already have you local PSTN number for inbound calls. If you have the right VoIP hardware with PSTN fall back your phone will ring whether it is a PSTN or VoIP call and you answer it, out going calls go via VoIP can be masked with you local PSTN number.
I currently have both ADSL1 & HSDPA here in Tamworth. Speaking with Optus, it seems I can simply forget about getting any naked ADSL2 in the foreseeable future, so I am thinking seriously about losing my ADSL1 (my Telstra line) & just going with HSDPA via a router with a good quality 2100 Mhz antenna for better more stable reception. ( Especially now that Optus are currently in the process of installing 2 new towers here in Tamworth which will anytime now become active. )
The only downside I am seeing atm is that killing my landline also means I lose my localized phone number, so a local DID would be my answer for now.

rooscoota

Post by rooscoota » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:38 am

Tazz wrote:
That's ok for family and/or friends in the same region, but still no help for those interstate.
I just get them to ring me and say "It's **** here, ring me back" and hang up immediately, costs them hardly anything and we can then chat for an hour.
and a good sysytem, the same system i used last century with my mobiles to the wife n kids. lash out n get some numbers in them regions so they can just ring once and talk for hours. or give them a global access number to override telstra.
vk3xem wrote:
The point is that if you are on ADSL1 you already have you local PSTN number for inbound calls. If you have the right VoIP hardware with PSTN fall back your phone will ring whether it is a PSTN or VoIP call and you answer it, out going calls go via VoIP can be masked with you local PSTN number.
all good and well, i do have the right systems but unfortuneatly the wife n kids not as clever as me and they confuse easy so its just as easy to have pstn for inbound calls on one phone, another for outgoing calls with a local number for my area to order pizzas n stuff (exetel) call barring on 13XXXXXXX and mobiles, another phone in locality i sudggested (with different vsp) for all 13XXXXXXXX and mobiles and relo's to ring on local call rates. as well as the convenience of several phones handy to use at any time, no waiting for the kid or wife to get off phone to make a call.
vk3xem wrote:out going calls go via VoIP can be masked with you local PSTN number.
sort of defeats the purpose of having a local number appear to ring that local number instead of std

and to be fair i have 2 exetel did's, one with my adsl1 (thats all i can get here) and the other with my hspa, i wont go into the numerous accounts (free) i have with other did's cause i know you people arent stupid.

at the end of the day "for me" (but its not all about me) it would be good to have them regions available then exetel will get all my bussiness and i can dispense with their competition but at the moment i only use exetel for national calls, "NOT 13 NO'S OR MOBILES"

in closing there may be 10,000 customers out there with the same idea, dont need regional did's. then there may be another 10,000 customers who would like to have regional did's so instead of bringing down or bagging the idea based on your own personal setup or preference always keep in mind, each to their own.

cheers
roo☻

Mike Agent N040

Post by Mike Agent N040 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:12 pm

Maybe it's time someone built a "Broadband Choice" but for VoIP so you could see which VSPs have regional DIDs in which area.
Exetel Agent N040
http://auzzie.net/cccweb

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:22 pm

When we started with VOIP engin was just making head way. They were very accomodating and organised a Wang number for us within a week. I'd recommend them to anyone, for ~ $20 a month we get two DIDs and the wife spends hours on the phone (free local and national on our plan). Although I'd like to switch to Exetel VOIP just to simplify things. Bring on more regional DIDs :)

thehoodlum

Post by thehoodlum » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:49 pm

Would love love LOVE DIDs for the NSW north coast....eg byron bay, lismore...

Wartai

Post by Wartai » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:26 am

3band1g wrote:I would be interested in DID'S for the Sunshine Coast!!!1
I second that and i know a few others here that would too

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:26 pm

We keep working on making more areas available.

Wartai

Post by Wartai » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:38 am

ForumAdmin wrote:We keep working on making more areas available.
much appreciated

edit:
just curious, what if you do get a regional DID available, would it cost us to change to our area DID ?
Ive just signed up for a Naked Adsl2+ a couple days ago, moving to exetel, i havent read everything here yet so i may have missed it if my question is answered elsewhere

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:52 am

just curious, what if you do get a regional DID available, would it cost us to change to our area DID ?
No. We need to order DID's in 100 ranges from your supplier. This is a nominal (per DID) ongoing monthly cost to Exetel which we don't on-charge to customers.
Since the nominal cost is multiplied 100 times (for the 100 range) the cost then becomes not so nominal.
So you can understand we need a reasonable business case to order these DID's in 100 ranges.
Generally, if we get a few interested in the particular area we will order a 100 DID range.

Mike Agent N040

Post by Mike Agent N040 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:30 am

Any chance you can set up an online demand register? :)
Exetel Agent N040
http://auzzie.net/cccweb

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:33 am

An online DID request register is probably a good idea.

basnarms

Post by basnarms » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:17 pm

OK I new to VOIP DID etc

I live in the 0244 area NSW but no DID there so my DID in woolongong 0242 area

do i pay a std rate to my DID ? 200km away approx or is it normal exetel rate still ?

cheers