Regional VoIP DID's

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Re: Regional VoIP DID's

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Any landline call within Australia is $0.10 per call.

Friends calling your DID may incur an STD timed rate.

himagain

Post by himagain » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:34 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:Is there any interest in the availability of VoIP DID's from these areas?

QLD
Sunshine Coast area (Nambour, Maroochydore)
Certainly is!
As a VOIP newby I was stunned to find that DID's weren't readily available for every locale of 20,000 plus!
The whole VOIP exercise is one of frustration trying to sort the wheat from the chaff, but I'd have NEVER factored that in!
(I was talked into losing my existing telstra number as a CONDITION of signing up for an account with Exetel......)
So what do all the people who don't live in the few zones listed do for a phone number????

Himagain
(sigh - still with no working voip anyway and no idea why not)

himagain

Post by himagain » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:47 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:
just curious, what if you do get a regional DID available, would it cost us to change to our area DID ?
No. We need to order DID's in 100 ranges from your supplier. This is a nominal (per DID) ongoing monthly cost to Exetel which we don't on-charge to customers.
Since the nominal cost is multiplied 100 times (for the 100 range) the cost then becomes not so nominal.
So you can understand we need a reasonable business case to order these DID's in 100 ranges.
Generally, if we get a few interested in the particular area we will order a 100 DID range.
AHA! I see said the blind mouse........
So, really, Exetel would have to "go into the business" of DIDs supply.
What about the people out there who sell voip access and do have numbers all over, which they separately charge for (at wildly varying rates).
At what point would it be feasible for Exetel to sell/rent me a number in Maroochydore Qld. Sunshine Coast (as offered by others) for a live-with extra amount?

Himagain,
Still unable to use voip - so this is a rhetorical q still ... :-(

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:54 pm

Himagain, you did buy a Billion (close to the least friendly config available for a domestic unit) ..... Anyway that's in good hands now.

Few places of 20000 have ADSL2 (the present government cancelled the contract), so that "naked" customers dependent on VoIP don't come from these centres. Although a recent thread detailed a list of handy things that business people could do with local DIDs, most users have their existing PSTN for inward calls, and use VoIP for outward calls. Most ATAs can handle the switching automatically. This practice can have its moments when you ring a local 13xxxx number and the phone that answers is somewhere else.

himagain

Post by himagain » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44 pm

Dazzled wrote:Himagain, you did buy a Billion (close to the least friendly config available for a domestic unit) ..... Anyway that's in good hands now.

Few places of 20000 have ADSL2 (the present government cancelled the contract), so that "naked" customers dependent on VoIP don't come from these centres. Although a recent thread detailed a list of handy things that business people could do with local DIDs, most users have their existing PSTN for inward calls, and use VoIP for outward calls. Most ATAs can handle the switching automatically. This practice can have its moments when you ring a local 13xxxx number and the phone that answers is somewhere else.
Billion setup: "Good hands now"??
Amazingly, it worked out of the box for ADSL2+.
Only the failure of Exetel to have some means of connecting me to their VOIP system is still a problem.
Strangely, the manuals of both recent models, 7401, 7301 claimed to be the same are not - even unknown to the Billion support people themselves!

Unfortunately, due to Exetel advice - confirmed twice - I cancelled my previous provider and thus my pstn line.
Thus the only way to recover from this mess is to pay a LOT of money for a "new" pots install (despite the whole reason for dumping it being to use VOIP) or find SOME alternative.
Seems like it is possible to "rent" a did of one type or another from other sources for more money and I'm investigating how the hell they work now.
Or look into the mysteries of the ignominy of a wireless support number.

It's been a most unpleasant experience so far - and I STILL have no voip and no apparent way of getting it to go...

Good night all,

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:59 am

I sent a reply to your ticket yesterday afternoon - you have not replied.

himagain

Post by himagain » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:26 pm

JasonM wrote:I sent a reply to your ticket yesterday afternoon - you have not replied.
Hi Jason,
Have replied. Thanks. Waiting with bated breath...... :-)

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:41 am

Maroochydore DIDs are now available to be ordered.

3band1g

Post by 3band1g » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:10 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:Maroochydore DIDs are now available to be ordered.
Hi Thanks for the Maroochydore DIDs
Can you please advise me the best way to change my DID number from Brisbane to a new Maroochydore DID and keep my 100 free calls.

Thanks again

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:46 pm

Can you please advise me the best way to change my DID number from Brisbane to a new Maroochydore DID and keep my 100 free calls.
Just cancel your Brisbane DID, order Maroochydore and send an email to voice@exetel.com.au once done referring to this thread.
Shoudn't have to do anything as the 100 free calls are a condition of the DSL plan, not VoIP.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:08 pm

Any chance of a Launceston DID one day?

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:57 am

Any chance of a Launceston DID one day?
Not in the near future unfortunately.

Wartai

Post by Wartai » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:37 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:Maroochydore DIDs are now available to be ordered.
thats awesome news, but im still waiting to be connected to exetel ADSL2+ Naked (approx 16th :( )

allenb

Post by allenb » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi,
+1 Bathurst/Orange (NSW) +61263xx xxxx

I am on NAK2B in Bathurst/Orange (NSW) region, and currently use MyNetFone for a local voip number. I would prefer if I could use an exetel DID rather than having two numbers - the sydney DID I use to call out confuses everybody who is local. An earlier message suggested setting up a regional DID voting place - has this happened, or will it happen?

Thanks,

Allen

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:56 pm

Unfortunately we can't get Bathurst or Orange DID's.