Silent Number Revealed to VOIP Customers

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
flippit

Silent Number Revealed to VOIP Customers

Post by flippit » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:15 pm

I am an Exetel customer and I also have a Telstra landline which is a silent number. When I use my Telstra landline to call an Exetel VOIP number 039012xxxx Exetel's equipment doesn't recognise that my number is a silent number and my silent number is revealed to the receiver of the call via calling number display.

The same thing occurs if I send a fax from my Telstra silent number line to an Exetel Fax-to-Email service 039015xxxx, my silent number is passed on to the receiver of the fax in the email they receive, it is shown in the email beside the label "CallID1:".

Surely this shouldn't be happening - if my number is a silent number it's supposed to be blocked to the receivers of my calls.

vk3xem

Re: Silent Number Revealed to VOIP Customers

Post by vk3xem » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:35 am

YAWN, people who block their ID's are either paranoid or have something to hide.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

kenobiajay

Post by kenobiajay » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:46 am

vk3xem wrote:YAWN, people who block their ID's are either paranoid or have something to hide.
Hey c'mon, that's not cool.

We used to get prank calls before going Silent.

flippit: I can't answer why, but I can say that it also happens to my silent number (which is with Exetel/Optus).

Mike Agent N040

Post by Mike Agent N040 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:22 am

Up until four days ago when I was still an ISP, the RADIUS login records would always show the caller's phone number even if it was a private number.

I don't know what the mechanism is to mask the number. I presume it's something sent by the telephone exchange to Exetel.
Exetel Agent N040
http://auzzie.net/cccweb

adamg

Post by adamg » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Actually, AFAIK. this just means exetel isn't doing things properly... All telco's pass your "silent" number amongst themselves so they each know where the call originated/etc properly. Just one of those 'standard' things.

However, they also pass a flag/number which indicates a couple of things
1) How that number was derived (user provided, telco provided, etc)
2) How the number was 'verified' (unverified, user just said so, or verified by the carrier, etc)
3) Where the number can be revealed (pass to everyone, or do not pass to the destination)

This last part is where we most commonly look at for a "private" number. Basically exetel need to look at that flag before sending the call over sip to the end user (or diverting back to the PSTN for call-diversion) and remove the number if it is from a silent number.

In addition, I am pretty sure there are fairly stiff penalties for exposing numbers like that from the ACMA... if this still happens for you, I would advise you to contact exetel and make them aware of the issue, and if it isn't resolved, then a complaint to the ACMA should get pretty swift action.

PS, I'll offer a complete refund on what you paid me for the above advice if any of it is wrong ")

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:35 pm

My attitude is if people are rude enough to block your ID then I have the right not to answer your call.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

adamg

Post by adamg » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:45 pm

[quote="vk3xem"]My attitude is if people are rude enough to block your ID then I have the right not to answer your call.[/quote]

Absolutely, just as if you show your CID, I may avoid answering your call :)

However, sometimes there *are* valid reasons for blocking CID... Personally, I use exetel VoIP for outbound calls to all Australian landlines + international calls, and block the CID on all such calls. I use the PSTN (PRI) for calls to mobiles and 1300/1800/13/000/etc calls and do not block CID. If I could present the PSTN number as the CLI on VoIP calls, then I would do so.

As always, the caller *should* have the option of blocking/allowing the CLI, and the recipient *should* have the option to answer or not.

Either way, none of the above matters. The OP described an issue which would seem to imply that exetel are not following the 'standards' and may not be complying with the Australian legal requirements.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:58 pm

vk3xem wrote:YAWN, people who block their ID's are either paranoid or have something to hide.
Or work in the mental health area and don't want associated crazies calling home....
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety