free voip on its own

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
pooch2

free voip on its own

Post by pooch2 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:22 am

I have an adsl and hspa and free voip account.

A friend wants to test voip.

Can he get a free voip on its own with no charge to try out with me?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: free voip on its own

Post by Dazzled » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:54 am

You can get a second account and give him the password, but you will have to wear the bills for calls to PSTN and mobiles. Second accounts also have a monthly fee.

VoIP is portable, so you could take your ATA to your friend's place, or else take your hspa modem, and let him try your VoIP at his premises. My daughter has a softphone on her laptop configured to my VoIP account, that I can use when I visit. If you try this, turn off your own ATA or softphone beforehand.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:06 am

Dazzled wrote:You can get a second account and give him the password, but you will have to wear the bills for calls to PSTN and mobiles. Second accounts also have a monthly fee.
Shouldn't he be entitled to two voip accounts/DID's as he has both ADSL and HSPA?

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:44 am

Yep, order one from your HSPA login and you should be right.

At present, the only other way is for him to buy an HSPA service and not use it - which would cost $5.10 a month (as he needs to log on once every 60 days). He doesn't have to buy an HSPA modem as long as he has some old handset that's capable of connecting to the internet either on 2G or 3G.

It's a bit like buying a mouse and calling yourself an OEM ;-)

Hopefully one day Exetel will realise that there is a number of potential VoIP customers out there who instead use MyNetFone and the like since they don't offer it as an independent item. (For example, those on two year contracts with Telstra, etc; and those that are unable to leave their current ISP because they over-invested in the ISP's provided email address.)