Intermittent incoming calls: please help

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
CapnKernel

Intermittent incoming calls: please help

Post by CapnKernel » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:06 pm

Hello,

I have been an Exetel ADSL customer for 3 years, and an Exetel VoIP customer for at least six months. The service has always worked very well, and I am happy with it.

About a month ago, I switched to a Linksys SPA3102 ATA, which went without a hitch.

About two weeks ago I changed my ADSL plan to a NOTEL one, and asked for my landline number to be ported to VoIP. It appears this has been done. BUT:

Although I can make outgoing calls ok, I can only receive incoming calls sporadically.

I have been doing my testing by dialing my landline number with my mobile. When I can get through, my home phone starts ringing within 4 seconds of the start of dialing. But when I can't get through, there's silence on the line for 20 seconds, then I get an Australian busy tone. I have tried dialing the number with and without the area code.

Note that I have Exetel's voicemail turned on. So if the problem is at my end, how come the call doesn't go to voicemail? (If I can get through but I don't pick up, yes, it goes through to voicemail, which I then can retrieve no problem)

The account in the ATA is for the ported number, and the status page says it's currently registered. If I dial and I can't get through, the count of SIP packets stays the same.

The ADSL service is fast and reliable, and isn't being used for anything else of consequence. IP transport is fine, so I don't think that's the cause.

I have spoken to Exetel tech support a few times today in order to get this fixed (Steve J, Shamin G, Hasitha S and Sithila T). Sithila told me to run the X-Lite soft phone on my PC (Linux) in order to collect the info you need to resolve it, but I cannot, as this version of Linux no longer has the required version of C++ libraries:

Code: Select all

[mjd@onza Download]$ tar -xzvf X-Lite_Install.tar.gz 
xten-xlite/README
xten-xlite/xtensoftphone
[mjd@onza Download]$ cd xten-xlite/
[mjd@onza xten-xlite]$ ./xtensoftphone 
./xtensoftphone: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[mjd@onza xten-xlite]$ 
I'm not surprised, as that soft phone software is 5 years old :cry:

Please, help me get my incoming calls working reliably! And before pointing the finger at my setup, which has been working reliably, please take a moment to wonder why these unsuccessful calls aren't going through to voicemail: I think it's at your end.

Thank you.

cc:voip@exetel.com.au

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Intermittent incoming calls: please help

Post by Dazzled » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:58 pm

There are better Linux softphones available than xtensoftphone.

My preference is for Twinkle. It is as good as softphones get, even if plain looking. http://www.xs4all.nl/~mfnboer/twinkle/, but use your distro's repository. It is a KDE 3 application, so if you are using a late version of some distros, eg Ubuntu, also go to the old repos and get libqt3-mt (gt 3.3.4). This softphone is easy to configure and is a very good performer.

Many Gnome distros come with Ekiga. This can also use Exetel SIP successfully, and has a pretty GUI, but is fiddly with volume controls. Make sure you delete the Ekiga account and have only an Exetel one, or you will always have to say who you want to call. http://sites.google.com/site/davidtangy ... edirects=0 (BB - this example forgets to remove ekiga.net)

All softphones use the default sound system. Many recent distros default to muted recording, so you may have to adjust that. If your distro has gnome-sound-recorder, I'd get that going first, as it is an easy way to ensure that your mike input is set correctly.

CapnKernel

Post by CapnKernel » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks for the msg Dazzled. While I appreciate the info, I'm no closer to having my problem solved, as my only interest in a soft phone is because the Exetel support person told me I needed to do it in order to have some diagnostic info for Exetel to look at.

Meanwhile I'm without a reliable home phone.

(Maybe you could convince Exetel to change the soft phone they recommend to Linux users...)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:14 pm

Is there any possibility you have 2 ATAs running at once? A softphone is an ATA for this purpose. Or the same account configured twice in an ATA? If more than one is running the incoming signals get shared between ATAs, all using the same IP address, and possibly none of them sets up the call correctly. Outgoing is usually ok.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:22 pm

CapnKernel wrote: Although I can make outgoing calls ok, I can only receive incoming calls sporadically.
need to see your current config of the SPA33102 to comment further, there are a couple of settings that can cause this to happen, if you want to upload your config you can do so as follows

a) Firstly, go to http://192.168.0.1/admin/voice/advanced (you may need to change the IP address).
b) Do File -> Save As in your web browser. Upload the html file using www.mediafire.com . Post a link to it to this thread. This will allow us to see your settings (not your passwords though)

CapnKernel

Post by CapnKernel » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:00 pm

I just got an email from ChamanthaW:
ChamanthaW wrote:]Please enable port 5060 for sip signaling on your voip device. If this does not solve your issue you will have to check your voip device with device manufacturer as we were able to detect an issue on your voip device.
Chamantha's comment fails to show why my calls aren't going through to voicemail, even if there's a port 5060-related problem, however I will try it soon.

My understanding is that if one's ATA is registered with the VoIP provider, it's not necessary to open port 5060, as signalling will be done over the registered connection. Yes it's UDP, but the timeout on NATted UDP connections in my modem is longer than the amount of time between registrations, so I think the connection will still be there.

I would like to point out that in the two years I've been using VoIP, I have never had port 5060 open before, and I have used the Exetel VoIP service for around six months.
jokiin wrote:need to see your current config of the SPA33102 to comment further
I will do that too. Thank you, ball's in my court now.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:04 pm

CapnKernel wrote: My understanding is that if one's ATA is registered with the VoIP provider, it's not necessary to open port 5060, as signalling will be done over the registered connection. Yes it's UDP, but the timeout on NATted UDP connections in my modem is longer than the amount of time between registrations, so I think the connection will still be there.
the port doesn't need to be opened but it should be forwarded to your ATA if you want it to work reliably, also what model modem/router are you using?

CapnKernel

Post by CapnKernel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:13 am

jokiin wrote:
CapnKernel wrote: My understanding is that if one's ATA is registered with the VoIP provider, it's not necessary to open port 5060, as signalling will be done over the registered connection. Yes it's UDP, but the timeout on NATted UDP connections in my modem is longer than the amount of time between registrations, so I think the connection will still be there.
the port doesn't need to be opened but it should be forwarded to your ATA if you want it to work reliably, also what model modem/router are you using?
I have forwarded UDP ports 5060 through 5065 to my ATA.

The modem is an OPEN 625W. (I used to do software for them at OPEN). It has always worked well with VoIP, and the configuration has not changed in months.

CapnKernel

Post by CapnKernel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:36 am

jokiin wrote:
CapnKernel wrote: Although I can make outgoing calls ok, I can only receive incoming calls sporadically.
need to see your current config of the SPA33102 to comment further, there are a couple of settings that can cause this to happen,
My config is now here: http://afork.com/my-ata-settings.html.

CapnKernel

Post by CapnKernel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:40 am

I was able to make a call from my mobile to home. I will keep testing today to check the reliability.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:56 am

CapnKernel wrote:I was able to make a call from my mobile to home. I will keep testing today to check the reliability.
ok let us know how you get on, I've had a quick look at your config and there's a couple of minor things that I would change but they're not dealbreakers, forwarding the ports as you have may be enough for this not to be an issue, please let us know if it trips up again and we can go from there if necessary

CapnKernel

Post by CapnKernel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:28 am

Dazzled wrote:Is there any possibility you have 2 ATAs running at once?
No possibility at all, as I have only ever used a hardware ATA.

CapnKernel

Post by CapnKernel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:29 am

jokiin wrote:
CapnKernel wrote:I was able to make a call from my mobile to home. I will keep testing today to check the reliability.
ok let us know how you get on, I've had a quick look at your config and there's a couple of minor things that I would change but they're not dealbreakers,
I haven't had a problem today. What would you change?

Thanks!

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:49 pm

CapnKernel wrote:
jokiin wrote:
ok let us know how you get on, I've had a quick look at your config and there's a couple of minor things that I would change but they're not dealbreakers,
I haven't had a problem today. What would you change?

Thanks!
shorten the register expire time, change the NAT mapping settings, also your dial plan is US based, may not affect you with the numbers you call now but you may find it's a problem to call some numbers otherwise (depends where you need to call of course) in the future

toast

Post by toast » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:28 pm

What you describe happened to me last night. I plugged in a second ATA behind an ADSL modem and calling either number resulted in the phone ringing, but then blank and finally engaged signal.

I was setting up a 3102ATA last night at my parents place. They had a 2102ATA happily working behind an old-school Alcatel Speedtouch Home (side note, I'm proud of that modem, it was the first residential ADSL modem sold in Australia by Telstra when it came out in 1999? or 2000?).

Years ago I flashed the memory to the Speedtouch Pro firmware, so it can act like an ADSL router.

The way I successfully got both ATAs to work behind the ADSL modem (i.e. they can ring each other, and both can call and receive calls at the same time from external numbers) was to set the registration down to 300 seconds, then do the following:

Set the two ATAs to static IP addresses
Set 2102ATA to SIP port to 5272 (like its number... :) and the RTP ports to 16384-16385
Set 3201ATA to SIP port 5065 and RTP ports to 16555-16556 (like its number :)

For me, it was important to log into the ADSL modem and port forward stuff. TCP/UDP ports 5272 and 16384-16385 to the 2102ATA IP, and TCP/UDP ports 5065 and 16555-16556 to the 3201ATA. Now I'm never sure if both TCP and UDP are required, but I play it safe.

Previously, when there was just one ATA behind the ADSL modem I didn't need to dick around with port forwarding, but when there was two, I guess 'the Internet' got confused with NAT and stuff. So I forced everything to do what I directed.