Caller can't hear me when they dial my VOIP DID

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
sgoldschmidt

Caller can't hear me when they dial my VOIP DID

Post by sgoldschmidt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:31 am

Hi,
I did the most basic setup of my VOIP service using the X-Lite softphone. Works beautifully, except when people dial my DID number they can't hear anything I say. I have checked the obvious stuff: mic worrk because I can call out with no dramas and I checked my mic isn't muted. Where should I look next?
Thanks,
Simon

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Caller can't hear me when they dial my VOIP DID

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:12 pm

Port forwarding on your modem?
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

sgoldschmidt

Post by sgoldschmidt » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:22 pm

Thanks CoreyPlover.... that seems to be the problem. I understand the "signalling" is initiated by my PC, so the modem routes that traffic with no dramas, but the "audio" that carries my voice is initiated from the other end, so I need to forward every port under the sun from my modem to my PC to make the audio work. It's kind of counter-intuitive that the incoming audio finds its way to soft-phone (ie. I can hear the caller) and not the other way around.

Is my understanding correct? Is there an easy way to use a soft phone without the need for setting up masses of port forwards?

Thanks Simon

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:04 pm

sgoldschmidt wrote:Hi,
I did the most basic setup of my VOIP service using the X-Lite softphone. Works beautifully, except when people dial my DID number they can't hear anything I say. I have checked the obvious stuff: mic worrk because I can call out with no dramas and I checked my mic isn't muted. Where should I look next?
Thanks,
Simon
check the FAQ's http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... oftware%3F

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:51 pm

I believe you just need UDP port 5080 forwarded to your PC, possibly also UDP port 8000
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:05 pm

To amplify Jokiin's reference, G.729 is commercial, and is not distributed with free software.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:10 pm

Dazzled wrote:To amplify Jokiin's reference, G.729 is commercial, and is not distributed with free software.
the reason this is important in this case that any call that is sent as G729 will fail, if the call is sent as G711 it will work fine (router setup permitting) so it can still be variable as to what results are achieved when using free software that has its own limitations