No SIP light on V210P and I have NFI why

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Golden Path

No SIP light on V210P and I have NFI why

Post by Golden Path » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Scott and I'm new to Exetel and also to Voip.

Today my landline switched over to Exetel and I connected my Netcomm V210P to my NB6 modem following the guides that came with the ATA and also the Extel guide.

I have an orange ethernet light on and the power light is on. But the SIP light refuses to come on and the ATA tells me my status is unregistered. All I get on my phone is what sounds like an engaged signal.

I have typed all the details into the ATA manually and checked them several times over.

This process is clearly not as simple as I was led to believe. :roll:

I have tried port forwarding on the modem and have some experience with this for filesharing apps and the likes.

I am however not sure what IP I am supposed to forward to - the modem? The ATA? Either way I have tried both and it makes no difference.

My internet is working just fine since I switched over. The cordless phone I am using was working fine earlier today before the switch over.

As such I am at a loss, after a couple of hours of playing with settings and can only assume that somewhere there is a problem in the settings.

Is anyone able to offer any hints?

Thanks.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: No SIP light on V210P and I have NFI why

Post by Dazzled » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:38 pm

The ATA setup is described at http://www.exetel.com.au/files/v210setup.pdf. The important thing to watch is that the V210P by default is out of range of the modem. That is why you are asked to make it a DHCP client on p3 of the guide. When you disconnect the ATA from the computer and connect it to the router an ATA reboot will sort out the address.

It will now make outward calls.

The NB6 needs port 5060 UDP forwarded to the ATA's newly assigned LAN address for inward calls to work. Manual p80 ff. It is easier if you connect your computer direct to the NB6 router, because the V210P is also NAT enabled by default. 2 NATs in a row is more bother than you need.

Golden Path

Post by Golden Path » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:44 am

Thanks Dazzled. I've done a reset on the ATA and gone through the steps in the setup guide again but my Voip status is still "unregistered." Nothing at all has changed.

I'm a bit confused by what you mean here:
When you disconnect the ATA from the computer and connect it to the router.

I've connected it as per the setup guide - LAN slot on ATA to computer. WAN slot to router.

Is that not right?

I'm also not sure what this means:
The NB6 needs port 5060 UDP forwarded to the ATA's newly assigned LAN address for inward calls to work. Manual p80 ff. It is easier if you connect your computer direct to the NB6 router, because the V210P is also NAT enabled by default. 2 NATs in a row is more bother than you need.
1. Am I doing the port forwarding on the Nb6 modem via the virtual server? To the IP address assigned for the ATA? (That being 192.168.1.2)

2. Manual p80ff - what does that refer to?

3. Connect the computer direct to the router - did the setup guide not just show me that I should connect the ATA to the computer and the router to the ATA? Is the setup guide not right or is there some other way to connect all this up?

Sorry if I seem a bit dim but having followed all the advice in the setup guide again following a factory reset I still have no SIP light and I'm unsure of the port forwarding as I said earlier.

It seems as if the setup guide has made it seem far more simple to set this up than it really is....

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:37 am

Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

Modem port forwarding, also called virtual server (a Linux term) is described in the modem user manual in the pages following from page 80. This process is needed because the NAT firewall in the modem router will frustrate any uninvited attempt to enter your system from outside. That includes an incoming phone call. You will have to give the ATA internet access as you would a server. The IP address to use is that allocated by the router to the ATA WAN port (192.168.1.x) If you can't get this to work an alternative is a DMZ to the ATA IP address (all ports and packet types are passed). Never put a Windows computer behind a DMZ.

The ATA is unusual, in that it can receive an in-range local network IP address at its WAN port from the router while being accessible for management purposes at 192.168.22.1 from its LAN port. Therefore configuration is by plugging into the LAN port, but when configuration is finished you can return the computer to a direct router connection. Netcomm presumably did this to make configuration simpler than going through the router.

It's a good practice to use 58.96.1.2 as the proxy address. If you can't get the ATA to say it is connected and registered in the status screen, I suspect you have either not correctly filled in enough boxes, or not first "submitted" changes, and then proceeded to "save and reboot". Can you post again if this doesn't happen?

It is possible to set bridge and NAT functions in the ATA, but if you aren't familiar with networking, stay away from this.

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:58 am

Golden Path wrote:
I've connected it as per the setup guide - LAN slot on ATA to computer. WAN slot to router.
Golden Path, I am using V210p with NB6-4W and the setup guides as published worked first up for me, once I had a true WAN connection in place. Just make sure that the WAN cable you are using is a straight 8pin to 8pin cable and not a crossover cable. Some of the cables shipped with the Netcomm products (black) have only 3pins connected. This was what stumped me at the start.
As Dazzled has mentioned, due to the way the NB6 is configured it is best to link V210P LAN to your computer for the setup and then once running reconnect the router LAN to your computer. The WAN connection stays in place on the router. And make sure you save and submit settings.
Goodluck :)
RAND-NF/20INCTEL-Draytek 2710vn

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks Mixer, I hadn't thought of the wrong cable. Golden Path, the one you normally use to connect your working computer to the router or one just like it will be ok. The manual says an RJ45 straight-through is provided.

Golden Path

Post by Golden Path » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Thankyou all for your help so far. I've checked the cables and visually they seem to have all the pins wired up.

Dazzled wrote:Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

Modem port forwarding, also called virtual server (a Linux term) is described in the modem user manual in the pages following from page 80. This process is needed because the NAT firewall in the modem router will frustrate any uninvited attempt to enter your system from outside. That includes an incoming phone call. You will have to give the ATA internet access as you would a server. The IP address to use is that allocated by the router to the ATA WAN port (192.168.1.x)
OK, I've been through port forwarding on the modem as described in the manual to the correct ports using the IP of the ATA. (5060-5061 and 60000-60008 UDP) The firewall in my modem is switched off as I use a software firewall.

At this point I have rebooted both the ATA and the router and I still have no SIP light.
Dazzled wrote: If you can't get this to work an alternative is a DMZ to the ATA IP address (all ports and packet types are passed). Never put a Windows computer behind a DMZ.
Sorry, but I don't know what a DMZ is.
Dazzled wrote: The ATA is unusual, in that it can receive an in-range local network IP address at its WAN port from the router while being accessible for management purposes at 192.168.22.1 from its LAN port. Therefore configuration is by plugging into the LAN port, but when configuration is finished you can return the computer to a direct router connection. Netcomm presumably did this to make configuration simpler than going through the router.
I'm a bit puzzled as to why this isn't included in the setup guide if that's the case - and I'm not even sure how the cables should be connected if that's the case also. I have one ethernet port on my router. One on my computer. If the computer is plugged directly into the router then what's the ATA plugged into?

It's a good practice to use 58.96.1.2 as the proxy address. If you can't get the ATA to say it is connected and registered in the status screen, I suspect you have either not correctly filled in enough boxes, or not first "submitted" changes, and then proceeded to "save and reboot". Can you post again if this doesn't happen?

It is possible to set bridge and NAT functions in the ATA, but if you aren't familiar with networking, stay away from this.[/quote]

I've got some screencaps of what I am seeing on the ATA at this point:

The ATA is wired up as per the setup guide - WAN port to modem, LAN port to computer and handset to phone port.

Thanks again. :)
Attachments
wan.JPG
wan.JPG (59.31 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
SIP.JPG
SIP.JPG (58.52 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
LAN.JPG
LAN.JPG (71.48 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 pm

You probably have port forwarding right. DMZ (Demilitarised Zone, as in Korea) is an alternative, described in the manual. You may have a firewall in your computer, but there is the extremely effective Linux firewall iptables in the router, to provide the NAT protection to your whole network. Port Forward/Virtual Server/DMZ are all ways to modify iptables for special purposes, and I wouldn't attempt to disable it.

In the pictures, the 4 entries "...@vic.exetel.com.au" must be replaced with just your 10 digit DID number.

In the last picture, LAN, you are altering network settings. The how-to asked for a DHCP client (WAN page), and you have set a server. As a client it will be allocated an address by the router.

Golden Path

Post by Golden Path » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Dazzled wrote:You probably have port forwarding right. DMZ (Demilitarised Zone, as in Korea) is an alternative, described in the manual. You may have a firewall in your computer, but there is the extremely effective Linux firewall iptables in the router, to provide the NAT protection to your whole network. Port Forward/Virtual Server/DMZ are all ways to modify iptables for special purposes, and I wouldn't attempt to disable it.

In the pictures, the 4 entries "...@vic.exetel.com.au" must be replaced with just your 10 digit DID number.
Aha. Thanks - I've put just my phone number in those spots now, saved and rebooted. Still no SIP light.

Dazzled wrote: In the last picture, LAN, you are altering network settings. The how-to asked for a DHCP client (WAN page), and you have set a server. As a client it will be allocated an address by the router.
Actually, that's what it was on by default. So that DHCP server button on the LAN screen should be set to off? Because I've tried it both on and off now and there's still no change in my SIP status.

I'd sure hate to be an average "mum and dad" computer user trying to set this up!

sable

Post by sable » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:14 pm

You need to use the password that is relared to your VoIP number.

You can find it in your member facility at Manage VoIP Services/Change VoIP Service

Golden Path

Post by Golden Path » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:32 pm

sable wrote:You need to use the password that is relared to your VoIP number.

You can find it in your member facility at Manage VoIP Services/Change VoIP Service
Success! I had no idea, I was never sent this password or informed about it - I just assumed it was the same as for my net access. :oops:

Bless you sable and thankyou all so much for spending your time helping me out. :D

Scott