VOIP Service Unpredictable

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
ant333

VOIP Service Unpredictable

Post by ant333 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:21 pm

My VOIP Service on two numbers, both fed into a Billion 7404 VGP, is totally unpredictable.

My settings in the Billion are setup as given in the setup guide to the tee. I can make calls no problem.

However, receiving calls is a completely different story.

Using my mobile to test both the incoming numbers, it's totally random. Sometimes it'll ring. 5 minutes later when i try to all again, it'll go straight to voicemail. I test again, and it's total silence...

Has anyone experienced this? Got any clues or ideas? It's perplexing...

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VOIP Service Unpredictable

Post by jokiin » Wed May 19, 2010 1:22 pm

what codec options have you got set in the Billion?

ant333

Post by ant333 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:28 pm

As instructed - the first is PCMA (g.711 A-Law), and the others are Non-Used.

Just tried again, and after about 20 seconds tota silence, got a telstra message saying 'the telephone you have called is unavailable'

Another try 20 seconds later produced the correct response. Both numbers now ring... It's very random.

ant333

Post by ant333 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:52 pm

Gave it another try.. this time.. silence for 20 seconds, then voicemail.

Hung up, rang back, and BANG, it's ringing.

It's constantly like this...

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed May 19, 2010 4:25 pm

ant333 wrote:As instructed - the first is PCMA (g.711 A-Law), and the others are Non-Used.
set your preference but make the others available and then test again

ant333

Post by ant333 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:31 pm

What codec should i set the others for?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed May 19, 2010 5:12 pm

ant333 wrote:What codec should i set the others for?
I'm not familiar off the top of my head with what options you have there but set your preferred codec by all means but leave the others as allowed or enabled or whatever the option is, make sure you have G729 available as otherwise some incoming calls will fail

if you can explain what options you have or post a screenshot perhaps I can give you a clearer answer

sable

Post by sable » Wed May 19, 2010 5:29 pm

I have the same router.

Have my codecs set to G.711Alaw and G.711uLaw as ist and 2nd preferences, other 2 Non-used has been working fine for ages.

I use this as my standard setup for all VoIP Billions I supply. Do not have any problems.

As Jokiin suggests post screenshots of the setup pages.

ant333

Post by ant333 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Thanks Sable & Jokiin for the suggestion.

I've enabled it per the attached screenshot.

Billion Codec Setup.JPG
Billion Codec Setup.JPG (24.49 KiB) Viewed 1258 times

So far so good... i'll keep testing throughout the night and tomorrow.

Cheers!

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed May 19, 2010 5:48 pm

ant333 wrote: So far so good... i'll keep testing throughout the night and tomorrow.

Cheers!
ok let us know how it goes, you should find it more reliable, also always a good idea to make sure you're on the latest firmware version, Billion have had heaps of them as there have been lots of bugs over the years that needed sorting

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Wed May 19, 2010 7:33 pm

jokiin wrote:what codec options have you got set in the Billion?
Given the OP says he can make calls fine but the problem is that his incoming calls don't ring through - why do suggest this may be a codec issue?

I have had a few complaints from friends and colleagues and wife over the last few days that our exetel voip number does not ring. As the OP says, you can try again a few minutes later and it does ring through. It's just intermittent. My modem and ata have been connected for weeks. I suspect an Exetel side problem.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed May 19, 2010 8:13 pm

bulletmark wrote:
jokiin wrote:what codec options have you got set in the Billion?
Given the OP says he can make calls fine but the problem is that his incoming calls don't ring through - why do suggest this may be a codec issue?
because there is a call negotiation process that needs to be handled correctly for an incoming call to happen successfully, this is rarely an issue for outgoing calls with any VoIP provider assuming one of the common codecs is in use, some ATA's are particularly finicky when it comes to this as other settings within the device can also impact the result

your problem could be something else totally though, there was a hiccup a day or so ago with the VoIP service, have you restarted your ATA since then?

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Wed May 19, 2010 10:58 pm

jokiin wrote: your problem could be something else totally though, there was a hiccup a day or so ago with the VoIP service, have you restarted your ATA since then?
No I haven't. My ATA seems ok and is still registered.

Outgoing calls have been fine (although I don't use Exetel for those). Incoming calls have been working intermittently. Many people have told me over the last few days that when they call they just get dead silence. They hang up, wait a while, then call later and the call comes through. Does this sound like something which could be caused by the "hiccup"? How are we supposed to know when to restart our ATA's when these faults occur?

Unfortunately this kind of issue severely compromises perception of voip. My wife has lost respect. Some friends who tried to call me have laughed off with "so that is how reliable voip is hey", etc. :(

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed May 19, 2010 11:59 pm

bulletmark wrote:
jokiin wrote: your problem could be something else totally though, there was a hiccup a day or so ago with the VoIP service, have you restarted your ATA since then?
No I haven't. My ATA seems ok and is still registered.
restart it anyway and see how you go

could still be something that needs looking at in your config but I'd still start with the most basic of troubleshooting which is the restart

correctly configured VoIP is as reliable as the connection you are using to supply it

ant333

Post by ant333 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:17 am

Well, the few tests i've done over last night and this morning have proved more positive.. however it's still sometimes failing.

I noticed this morning as i was doing some heavy downloading (ADSL1) that calling the numbers would either result in a telstra 'phone not available' message or silence for 20 seconds then voicemail. :(

Whilst i don't do heavy downloading that much, it's a shame that it's preventing calls from coming through.

Upgraded 1 version to the latest firmware last night.

HEY, does anyone know if i can keep my VOIP number? I'm moving house soon and am considering other ISP's for ADSL2 connection.