VOIP Service Unpredictable

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VOIP Service Unpredictable

Post by jokiin » Thu May 20, 2010 11:44 am

ant333 wrote: I noticed this morning as i was doing some heavy downloading (ADSL1) that calling the numbers would either result in a telstra 'phone not available' message or silence for 20 seconds then voicemail. :(
this could be a setting problem on your end if you have any kind of QOS that is not setup correctly

sable

Post by sable » Thu May 20, 2010 12:38 pm

Ant333

Have you configured QOS? in the 7404

Edit Didn't notice your post Jokiin!!

ant333

Post by ant333 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:00 pm

I had a look into QOS, it's setup as described in the setup guide for the 7404:
VOIP QOS Setting.JPG
VOIP QOS Setting.JPG (151.39 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
Also checked out the seperate QOS Settings for the whole router... but i don't know 1) if i need to configure it as it's already marked as 'premium' in the VOIP settings and 2) How to set it up for VOIP (if needed at all)
Billion QOS Settings.JPG
Billion QOS Settings.JPG (111.13 KiB) Viewed 1095 times

sable

Post by sable » Thu May 20, 2010 1:32 pm

I always configure in the QOSprioritization menu.

ant333

Post by ant333 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:46 pm

sable wrote:I always configure in the QOSprioritization menu.
How do i do that?

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Thu May 20, 2010 10:12 pm

jokiin wrote: this could be a setting problem on your end if you have any kind of QOS that is not setup correctly
The OP's complaint is that sometimes incoming calls do not ring. Outgoing calls are fine.

I don't understand why you guys would think this has anything to do with QOS on his router?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu May 20, 2010 10:15 pm

bulletmark wrote:
jokiin wrote: this could be a setting problem on your end if you have any kind of QOS that is not setup correctly
The OP's complaint is that sometimes incoming calls do not ring. Outgoing calls are fine.

I don't understand why you guys would think this has anything to do with QOS on his router?
because he mentioned incoming calls not working while he was doing heavy downloading

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Thu May 20, 2010 10:42 pm

jokiin wrote: because he mentioned incoming calls not working while he was doing heavy downloading
He's downloading from the exetel WAN which is typically massively bandwidth constrained compared to his home LAN. How is QOS on his router going to make much difference to the arbitration of incoming packets received from that WAN? Any starvation is going to be on the exetel side of the router, which his QOS settings will have little influence over.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Thu May 20, 2010 10:57 pm

Could setting codec G.729 as first priority help?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu May 20, 2010 11:04 pm

Ravenous wrote:Could setting codec G.729 as first priority help?
possibly

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu May 20, 2010 11:06 pm

Bulletmark - with a slowish service or the ability for a connection to hog the router you will appreciate QoS. My experience is that at ADSL1 speeds with VoIP, QoS is essential. I usually don't bother at higher speeds when only one computer is on line, though I would with a family of P2P addicts.

Ravenous - The user's machine is a Billion - not always ideal for G.729, at least in this country. It's something to experiment with.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu May 20, 2010 11:08 pm

bulletmark wrote:
jokiin wrote: because he mentioned incoming calls not working while he was doing heavy downloading
He's downloading from the exetel WAN which is typically massively bandwidth constrained compared to his home LAN. How is QOS on his router going to make much difference to the arbitration of incoming packets received from that WAN? Any starvation is going to be on the exetel side of the router, which his QOS settings will have little influence over.
he can easily saturate his bandwidth and if QOS isn't applied to the router it can fail, that incoming call is trying to come in on the same link that he has saturated (on his end), personally I don't use QOS and don't need it, my hardware doesn't have an issue with this, Billion can be finicky though, not my favorite brand for this purpose

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu May 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Dazzled wrote: Ravenous - The user's machine is a Billion - not always ideal for G.729, at least in this country. It's something to experiment with.
G729 has finally been fixed in the Billion, it did drag on for several years though before they got there

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri May 21, 2010 11:32 am

Bulletmark, getting off-topic, but re how QoS is done in the kernel, look up tc. You can then use iptables rules do do the trick. I remember having to do this once for a data logging instrument and it sure wasn't intuitive.

mzc181

Post by mzc181 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:06 am

I recently activated my VOIP service and initially I had the same isssue, some calls got through others just nothing, dead silence on callers end. I raised a support ticket with Netcomm and they provided two possible solutions to this problem.

1) On the modem / router, mine is NB5Plus4w, set up some port forwarding rules on 5060-5061 UDP and 60000-60008 UDP
or
2) Activate a DMZ from the NB5Plus4w to the ATA device (mines is a Netcomm V220) on the ATA's WAN IP address.

There should be instructions on how to do these functions in your modem/router user guide. Suggest you take a backup of your current modem config if your device offers that option, then if it all goes wrong you can just restore to where you are now.

If you do either of these make sure you save your updated modem configuration and then reboot it and probably the ATA as well if you have a separate one. Also note that option 2 overrides option 1.

Initially I did the port forwarding rules and it fixed the problem immediately. As I was having some echo issues Netcomm suggested I try option 2 and they told me at that point it overrides option 1.

A word of warning though, if you are going to do the DMZ make sure you do it on the modem and not mistakenly on the ATA.

Good luck.