setup voip to recieve phone calls on linksys

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
wasabi

setup voip to recieve phone calls on linksys

Post by wasabi » Wed May 26, 2010 10:47 pm

hello. im having trouble to reciving calls from my voip service..
i can make out going calls. send sms but i have this device that is plug into my dlink router. its called linksys internet phone adapter model pap2t. can someone tell me what settings i know for reciving calls..

thanks

ps theres so many settings in this device... im really lost

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: setup voip to recieve phone calls on linksys

Post by Dazzled » Wed May 26, 2010 10:53 pm

To receive calls on an ATA you will have to preferably give it a static address and then, in the router, either port forward 5060 UDP to the ATA address, or else open a DMZ to the ATA address. This is because the router firewall in its default state will not allow in uninvited packets, which naturally includes the one that tells the phone to ring.

Setting up the PAP2T itself is well covered in the forum, but you seem to have got that far if you are making calls.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » Wed May 26, 2010 11:06 pm

please show me where i can get more help.. im really noob... links to any forum helps or step by step guide please....

outbush

Post by outbush » Wed May 26, 2010 11:25 pm

wasabi wrote:please show me where i can get more help.. im really noob... ..
Try using the setup guide here:
http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_pdf/analogue.pdf
Page 9

or search the exetel forums for 'PAP2T'

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu May 27, 2010 7:21 am

Wasabi, for D-Link assistance, you'll have to post the model number. Port forwarding help for many of them is found here: http://portforward.com/, but is also covered in your user manual. DMZ is often simpler, but both methods require you to know the LAN IP address of the ATA. Fortunately the Linksys's telephone dial code can tell you.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » Sun May 30, 2010 12:50 am

i know the ip address of all the device but putting it in the right boxes is what confuses me..

im on this website
http://www.callcentric.com/support/device/linksys/pap2
coming to step 10. Set your Primary NTP Server. i have no idea how and what to do ..?

and dmz and port forwarding to ATA im all lost..
i added the devices in the router to forward it to the device but what about my dsl modem ? does that need to be adjusted to the port forwarding ?

ohh im so lost..

ps do i need to enable WAN PING on ????

roby

Post by roby » Sun May 30, 2010 7:36 am

you could do what I did give up and buy something from netcomm

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun May 30, 2010 8:13 am

You are going about it the wrong way. The Exetel guide and other posts have what you need to do for the Linksys PAP2T. When you were making outward calls you had most things right, if not everything.

It is your router firewall that is wrecking inward calls, because these calls start with a signal packet out of the blue on port 5060 to ring the phone. By default, no signal that is not part of a conversation established from inside the network will pass, so the ring invite is dropped. The router keeps track of all requests sent outside into the WAN, and checks all inward traffic against its tables. It also uses its tables to decide which of your local computers it will send data to, as the outside sender has no idea of the internal IP addresses - outsiders talk only to the router.

Your other post mentions a D-Link DIR-600. The method of setting up a DMZ through the router firewall straight to the Linksys IP address is here http://portforward.com/routergui/Dlink/ ... ttings.htm The ATA will then be fully exposed to the internet and can respond to all traffic appropriately.

Do not put a computer running Windows at the back of a DMZ, it would be unprotected.

There is a VoIP issue at present for some users only - http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 5&start=15 - be aware when testing.

Edit: Roby has a point. Dynalink/Netcomm are made for our market and are very straightforward to set up. Billion caters for everyone and has lots of alphabet soup settings. Linksys lies between the two.

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Sun May 30, 2010 10:43 am

@wasabi, I am at the moment working on a little program to set up all the user settings into the linksys units from the end users local computer which at this stage I have it working but have not finished. However if it might help you, I could make up a synchronizing config script for you which you could run from your web browser to set up most of what you need to get your unit smooth. From my point though I would need you to understand it is for the moment only expermiental for me & may not work, so you would need to be confident that you can default your unit if my script failed you.

If you want to give it a try, pm me & I will make a script for you & post you a link via pm so you can try it.

Edit: A quick pic of what my litle app will look like when it is finished

wasabi

Post by wasabi » Sun May 30, 2010 12:22 pm

thanks for everyones help but i think iv done everything upto the port forwarding part...

that script config does that configur the incoming calls ?

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Sun May 30, 2010 1:53 pm

wasabi wrote: that script config does that configur the incoming calls ?
It will set up the linksys NAT, keep alive messages, registration timeout, exetel server proxy as dotted decimal notation, dial tones, time server, daylight time stop / start, etc.
As a script, you will still need to manually enter your phone number / password details into the ata. I can do a simple dial plan to suit the ata as a simple 1 line plan not using any other gateways, although you will eventually modify this as you include other provider services as gateways, etc.

As for the incoming calls, it may be as Dazzled says & you need to get your modem port forwarding working properly, but I am at the moment suspecting there may be some sort of problem with the exetel servers regards the incoming calls as my own exetel service has been playing up somewhat the last fews days with incoming calls being very erratic while my other provider service has been sitting up very obediently.