VoIP Server down

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
wizard

Re: VoIP Server down

Post by wizard » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:13 pm

pasanm wrote:
wizard wrote:Have had problems with the Open 824 losing authentication over the last few days including today at 2 different locations, it seems similar to the problems we had a few months ago.
Is this issue being look at by Exetel as it seems to be a problem in this thread with open and billion modems.

I will monitor your service today as discussed and will see changing expiration time resolve the registration failing issue.

Thanks for all your help Pasanm

Changed the settings as discussed, hopefully it fixes the registration problems.

Revhead

Post by Revhead » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:35 am

wizard wrote:Have had problems with the Open 824 losing authentication over the last few days including today at 2 different locations, it seems similar to the problems we had a few months ago.
Is this issue being look at by Exetel as it seems to be a problem in this thread with open and billion modems.
Ditto. Loss of SIP registration several times a day with "authfailure" reported. Normally reconnects automatically if registration is lost - but needs to be reset or power cycled to get it back!
Whatever change Exetel has made it's the same deal as what happened a few months ago and it certainly hasn't been fixed - not in my case anyway.
Have done a factory reset but it's made no difference.
G.711 A-Law here.
Cheers, Rev
ADSL2+ T-Bundled-1TB NSW
TP-Link Archer VR2800

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:58 am

We will contact you today and help resolve the issue.

pasanm

Post by pasanm » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Revhead wrote:
Ditto. Loss of SIP registration several times a day with "authfailure" reported. Normally reconnects automatically if registration is lost - but needs to be reset or power cycled to get it back!
Whatever change Exetel has made it's the same deal as what happened a few months ago and it certainly hasn't been fixed - not in my case anyway.
Have done a factory reset but it's made no difference.
G.711 A-Law here.

try to change the sip register time to a longer period like 900 seconds.

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:24 pm

pasanm wrote:try to change the sip register time to a longer period like 900 seconds.
This advice has also been issued on the WP forums, also with no accompanying justification. Is this an official edict from Exetel that our ATA expiry time should be larger than the typical default which is 240 secs? I don't see any registration issues. Whenever I check my ATA (on internal LAN) is always registered (with an expiry of 240 secs). Yet I am still occasionally seeing the problem where an incoming caller can hear me but I can't hear them. Happened again yesterday afternoon. Caller called back immediately on same number but then it worked ok. Is this problem supposed to be fixed? Why is so little information provided by Exetel about these voip problems?

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:58 am

I think it is standard setup for Billion devices.

Expire: 900 seconds

sable

Post by sable » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:31 am

Billion default used to be 3600 but now comes at 240 out of the box.

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:42 am

sable wrote:Billion default used to be 3600 but now comes at 240 out of the box.
It is kind of a moot point anyhow. I understand that the client side expiry time is only advisory. The sip server can choose to demand an alternative expiry which the client is obliged (by the sip standard) to adopt. Billion modems, at least, do respect that. So if exetel think their sip server requires a longer timeout, then they should configure it so.

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:07 am

Regarding this Expiry timeout, I have my Exetel account running at 1800 seconds on my linksys without any problems & on my other service provider, I still have the default 3600 & all is running fine.
So 240 or 900 seconds on your units I cant see as being any issue.

Revhead

Post by Revhead » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:49 am

Changed my timeout from 240 to 900. It seems to have helped because the number of dropouts has decreased. Now going to 1800 to see what difference that makes?
Cheers, Rev
ADSL2+ T-Bundled-1TB NSW
TP-Link Archer VR2800

csouter

Post by csouter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:28 pm

sable wrote:Billion default used to be 3600 but now comes at 240 out of the box.
My Billion 7404VNPX default timeout is 3600 (out of the box). I bought it new about 4 months ago.

The router has two VoIP ports, each of which can be configured separately from the other.

I changed one port to 1800, as required by Engin, my backup VoIP provider.

On the other port, I tried 240, as per Exetel's instructions, then changed it to 1800, but my outgoing
calls are still timing out if unanswered within about 35 seconds of dialling the first digit.

It usually takes me two or three attempts to achieve a successful connection, except if the
person on the other end answers very quickly. In that case, I only have to try once.

Also, if I have to redial when the first attempt fails, after the 15 seconds, I often hear a lot of noise
on the line instead of a ring tone from the other end. On the third attempt, I can usually connect
successfully.

Prior to the VoIP server problem of the last two weeks or so (the original subject of this thread), my
outgoing calls were timing out if they were unanswered within about 1 minute and 15 seconds after
dialling the first digit.

I should also add that after the dialling process is complete, it takes about 15 seconds before I hear the
number ringing at the other end.

Furthermore, I have no such problems making calls with my Engin VoIP account, only with my Exetel VoIP
account.

Now, I have no idea whether or not the timeout on the router has any bearing on this, but if anyone can
explain it to me, I'd be most interested to learn about it.

What is the timeout for, anyway? What is it that times out? Registration, or, if not, what is it?

Best regards to all
Chris Souter
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Don't worry, Chris.

It's not your router. Many Billions are affected in the same way.

Exetel doesn't test their upgrades against Billion equipment.

Either buy a NetComm branded modem, or change VoIP Providers. There is no other guaranteed safe way to stay with Exetel for VoIP unfortunately.

The timeout issue basically is how often the modem tells Exetel's VoIP server that you're online.

For some reason, it appears Exetel's server rejects this logon intermittently. Billion modems do not appear to try to re-authenticate automatically when this happens.

The 30-35 second / 7 ring then busy issue appears to be unrelated. It happened a year ago, was fixed after a couple of weeks, but is back now.

Kind Regards,
Michael Kean.

PS - there is some hope on the horizon that this might be fixed again in the near future.

IanS

Post by IanS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:52 pm

MCCMikey wrote:It's not your router. Many Billions are affected in the same way.

Exetel doesn't test their upgrades against Billion equipment.

Theses problems are annoying. My Billions have been working really well since the last round of "problems" in November 09. This was resolved by rolling back to previous SIP server settings (see viewtopic.php?f=230&t=34201&start=30#p261353 )

Since November, the only issue that I occasionally had was echo at the called party's end (they would hear their own voice with a 1-2 second delay). This seems to have been resolved in firmware version 6.01 & 6.02b

I've logged a fault & so far Exetel have logged on & changed all 4 codecs to G711u, which made no difference. Oh well off to try the softphone now!

IanS

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:58 pm

While the ATA can request a register time, the server can grant something else, maybe less. If you have coded X Windows, for example, you will be familiar with the mindset. The ATA can behave as though it scored, when it didn't. Registration time is essential, as VoIP is portable and the working ATA can change IP address. If you use a dongle on the same account you will be changing. If you want to expunge a previous registration time, complete disconnection until the time expires will do it.

It is better to request a registration time that is likely to be granted, and all the Exetel advice I have seen is 240 secs or less.

Similarly from time to time the server will send an INVITE to the ATA, which should respond if it wants to say alive. NAT implementations should be configured to handle this.

IanS

Post by IanS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:31 pm

Oh well back to the drawing board.... after changing settings & testing with Exetel's staff I've drawn a blank.

Could someone just humor me & revert back to previous Exetel's previous server settings? This will confirm if its our end or not that is the problem. If it proves to be Exetel's end then someone can sit down & compare settings & workout what is causing the problem.

I've even offered to loan Exetel one of my spare Billion modems for testing.