VoIP Server down

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
csouter

Re: VoIP Server down

Post by csouter » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi all,

As promised in my previous post, I'm now getting back to you with the results
from my support ticket.

The gist of the replies is that I should change the expiration timeout to 900 seconds.

I did that, and it still makes no difference.

I have now used expiration timeouts of 240, 900, 1800 and 3600 seconds, all to no avail! :(

I'm still getting dropouts if the called party doesn't answer within about 35 seconds of my dialling
the first digit. If I retry straight away, I hear a lot of noise on the line, combined with another
busy signal. If I wait about 60 seconds and then retry, I can usually connect, provided the called
party had heard the phone ringing on my first try.

I can't tell you how many "rings" I'm getting, because the called party's phone transmits a music track,
which denotes to the caller that the phone is ringing, so I can't count the number of "rings."

The sound quality of a successful call is always quite satisfactory, and there are never any further
dropouts.

Once again, I must repeat, that this problem only appeared after the SIP server went down around
the end of May and was then restored after some days. No changes had been made to my modem setup,
so I just cannot see how the fault can be in my modem. After all, if the settings haven't changed, why
should it stop working, unless some incompatible changes have been made at the other end?

The only changes made to my modem setup (from the factory defaults) have been made at the request
of Exetel Telephone Support, and they haven't worked.

Also, it must be remembered that I have a backup VoIP account with Engin, which works fine, and the only
changes from the modem's factory default VoIP settings are the user ID, password, SIP server address and
changing the registration timeout from the modem default of 3600 seconds to 1800 seconds. The only slight
problem is that the sound quality is nowhere near as good as with my Exetel account, but still quite acceptable.

I really don't know where to turn from here. I really don't think that Support have the slightest idea what to do;
they even referred me an earlier post in this thread, (talking about the timing issue), to which I posted a reply
about three or four posts later, which was my first post to this thread!

Does anyone know how I can get this problem escalated? I'm rapidly losing confidence in the overseas support
personnel. :x

Thanks and regards
Chris Souter
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

arachnologist

Post by arachnologist » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:25 pm

csouter wrote: I'm rapidly losing confidence in the overseas support personnel. :x
I would not blame overseas support as what they are doing is just "support" - i.e. checking simple things and giving simple advice. I doubt they are involved in intricacies like programming their VOIP servers. They most likely have to watch their KPIs - which means the more open tickets closed - the better.

I suggest you send an email to their voice group - and hope it might get attention of some higher-level engineer. Failing that I suggest you wait till John Linton comes back from holiday and send an email to him - as he seems to be the only person who can explicitly order knowledgeable people at the company to investigate a serious technical issue.

Cheers mate - I will be monitoring this thread.

csouter

Post by csouter » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:00 pm

arachnologist wrote:I suggest you send an email to their voice group - and hope it might get attention of some higher-level engineer.
If you know a vaild email address for that group, could you please let me know, either by PM, or through this forum, whatever you think is more appropriate?
arachnologist wrote:Failing that I suggest you wait till John Linton comes back from holiday and send an email to him
Same request as above, except, I suspect that this one should be by PM only. ;)
arachnologist wrote:Cheers mate - I will be monitoring this thread.
Cheers to you, too, and many thanks! :D

Best regards
Chris Souter
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

arachnologist

Post by arachnologist » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:43 pm

csouter wrote: If you know a vaild email address for that group, could you please let me know
OK, it is voice@exetel.com.au. It is a bit more complicated with John Linton's address. I remember when I needed it (just once) I found it using Google. Tried now - to no avail. However, the best way to contact him would be first (if voice is unable to resolve the issue) to contact their management via resolutions@exetel.com.au. If that does not help - contact John Linton himself through his blog at https://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/. Just make sure he is back from holiday - and give him a couple of days to get over the jetlag. :D

csouter

Post by csouter » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Many thanks for the info!

Best regards
Chris Souter
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

sable

Post by sable » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:31 pm

csouter
I'm still getting dropouts if the called party doesn't answer within about 35 seconds of my dialling
the first digit. If I retry straight away, I hear a lot of noise on the line, combined with another
busy signal. If I wait about 60 seconds and then retry, I can usually connect, provided the called
I think you are experiencing the 7 ring problem, the timeout issue is usually related to incoming calls where you can successfully make outgoing calls but the modem has dropped it's registration with the sip server and incoming calls receive engaged or immediate voicemail, the fix is to re-synch the line either manually from within the router interface or by rebooting. Lengthening the timeout value is to fix this registration problem.

It does not fix the 7 ring and then engaged issue, there has not been a solution to that yet. Hopfully it is coming very soon.

csouter

Post by csouter » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi there!

Thanks for the info.

BTW, I just got another email from Telephone Support advising me to update my modem firmware
to the latest version.

They also stated that the problem seems to be only with Billion routers, and that no other brands
are affected.

Well, my modem firmware IS ALREADY at the latest version, dated 2010-06-11, but the
problem still remains. One thing I tried in my efforts to fix this problem was to check for an update
to the firmware. I downloaded and installed it, but it made no difference. That was about 10 days ago.

Best regards
Chris Souter
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

csouter

Post by csouter » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:57 pm

arachnologist wrote:<SNIP> contact John Linton himself through his blog at https://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/.
I can't get into John Linton's Blog. It's password protected, just like this forum. Neither my ADSL User/Pass, nor my Forum User/Pass will let me in. :(

Thanks for the info anyway.

Best regards
Chris Souter
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:03 pm

csouter wrote:
arachnologist wrote:<SNIP> contact John Linton himself through his blog at https://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/.
I can't get into John Linton's Blog. It's password protected, just like this forum. Neither my ADSL User/Pass, nor my Forum User/Pass will let me in. :(

Thanks for the info anyway.

Best regards
Chris Souter
The username/password you use to access this forum should work.

csouter

Post by csouter » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:41 pm

James wrote:The username/password you use to access this forum should work.
Well, it doesn't. :(

Best regards
Chris Souter
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

arachnologist

Post by arachnologist » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:53 pm

James wrote:The username/password you use to access this forum should work.
csouter wrote: Well, it doesn't. :( Chris Souter
OK, to avoid ambiguity, for posting on this forum you need a set of two logins and passwords:
1. your forum username and your forum password
2. your Exetel username and your Exetel password. Unless you changed the latter your username should be AAXXXXXXXX and Your password should be AAXXXXXXXXSS, where AA is your area telephone code (i.e. 02), XXXXXXXX is your telephone number and SS is first two letters (in uppercase) of your street name (e.g JO for Jones Street).

I tried three different accounts and they all work with John Linton's blog. I assume you just want to read the blog (highly educational and interesting in my humble opinion) and not trying to get to John right now (not recommended) :P

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Please contact dbadmin@exetel.com.au with your service number.

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Unless something's changed, I think John Linton reads the Suggestion Box entries. You could try that when he gets back :)

pasanm

Post by pasanm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:03 pm

csouter wrote:Hi all,

As promised in my previous post, I'm now getting back to you with the results
from my support ticket.

The gist of the replies is that I should change the expiration timeout to 900 seconds.

I did that, and it still makes no difference.

I have now used expiration timeouts of 240, 900, 1800 and 3600 seconds, all to no avail! :(

I can't tell you how many "rings" I'm getting, because the called party's phone transmits a music track,
which denotes to the caller that the phone is ringing, so I can't count the number of "rings."

The sound quality of a successful call is always quite satisfactory, and there are never any further
dropouts.

Once again, I must repeat, that this problem only appeared after the SIP server went down around
the end of May and was then restored after some days. No changes had been made to my modem setup,
so I just cannot see how the fault can be in my modem. After all, if the settings haven't changed, why
should it stop working, unless some incompatible changes have been made at the other end?

The only changes made to my modem setup (from the factory defaults) have been made at the request
of Exetel Telephone Support, and they haven't worked.

Also, it must be remembered that I have a backup VoIP account with Engin, which works fine, and the only
changes from the modem's factory default VoIP settings are the user ID, password, SIP server address and
changing the registration timeout from the modem default of 3600 seconds to 1800 seconds. The only slight
problem is that the sound quality is nowhere near as good as with my Exetel account, but still quite acceptable.

I really don't know where to turn from here. I really don't think that Support have the slightest idea what to do;
they even referred me an earlier post in this thread, (talking about the timing issue), to which I posted a reply
about three or four posts later, which was my first post to this thread!

Does anyone know how I can get this problem escalated? I'm rapidly losing confidence in the overseas support
personnel. :x

Thanks and regards
Chris Souter
There's no connection between registration timeout and outgoing calls. registration is related to incoming calls.
I have contacted you via email. please test your service and reply to me.
I have made some changes to your outgoing call path.

pasanm

Post by pasanm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:07 pm

IanS wrote:WARNING - for people with Billion modems suffering the 7 rings/busy fault

When you ring someone VoIP to PSTN or mobile, hangup after 6 rings, if the called number doesn't answer.
If the person you call answers after 7 rings, you will be charged for that call, even though you've got the busy signal & possibly even hung up your VoIP phone.

I've made several test calls to my home phone yesterday, none were successful, but they all appeared on my unbilled call list with 10c charges. This could quite quickly add up if you're ringing 1300 numbers at 30c/call
Hi Ian

Can you PM me your voip service number ?

I'll investigate on your problem regarding call charges.