Online, status green, cannot dial out or in and....

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Rattler

Online, status green, cannot dial out or in and....

Post by Rattler » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:45 pm

Hello!

All checks tell me that VoIP is online and running. I can see the web and do anything BUT in bound calls are instantly redirected to the message service and when dialling out, no results - only the slow and elongated engaged signal - that long beep.

Double check network et Al, and zip.

If I cycle the router, VoIP works. Happening frequently now whereas in the recent past, not at all!

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Online, status green, cannot dial out or in and....

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:58 pm

The first group of symptoms suggest you are no longer registered with Exetel's server. It should get periodically renewed.
When you say router, I assume it's a combined ATA/router - in that case the reboot forces a re-registration, and fixes it. Can you try another ATA or a softphone to test if you have a hardware fault?

Edit: Probably unlikely, but is the register expiry time = 240 secs?

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:13 pm

thanks Dazzled,

Shall give your suggestion a fly once it fails again. Until then trying Softphone will yield no useful results as it is all flying as it ought at the moment.

In the meantime, ATA and Router are separate... PAP2T and AG300 respectively. Disconnecting via the web interface makes no difference. Even when all PCs on LAN are off, link light flashes. I do not have to reboot the PAP, only the AG.

More when it fails again....

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:24 pm

Very odd. What if the PAP2T is periodically sending the REGISTER signal, as it should, and the router firewall is dropping either that packet, or the OK reply from the server? In other words is the router forgetting its settings? Do the router logs have any info?

An extreme test would be to bridge the modem to the ATA (ie, kill off the router function) and forgo the internet for a while. Swapping modems is probably more acceptable.