Some basic questions on VOIP

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Wazzaf

Some basic questions on VOIP

Post by Wazzaf » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:02 am

Hello Friends

Firstly I must apologise for the basic nature of my questions but I seem to be ever on a learning curve

I have set up VOIP on my daughters PC and an using a Dynalink 1046VW modem.

Question 1

Am I correct in saying that whenever anyone calls her they have to use the VOIP telephone number or putting in another way can anyone call her on her Telstra number?. A lot of her contacts only have her telstra number.

Question 2

In the modem setup under Voice / PSTN Control / Prefix digits to dial PSTN phone call: (maximum: 4 digits) , I have set up with ## to use PSTN, however when you call a mobile you get an engaged signal. The reason that she wants to do this is that under her Telstra number she can call a Telstra mobile for 30 minutes so called "free"

Any thoughts?

Thanks

JasonM

Re: Some basic questions on VOIP

Post by JasonM » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:28 am

Q1: The RTA1046VW will ring the Phone 1 / Phone 2 port on an incoming call.
Q2: Does the ## combination work with any 10 digit long numbers ? i.e. ##0280301000 ?

Perhaps the option in PSTN Control -> Select Tone / Ring Signals is not set to Australia?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:53 am

Wazzaf, use only phone port 1, as it is the only one that can relay PSTN if power is off or VoIP goes down. To amplify JasonM's reply, inward callers can use either number - the Dynalink will route both types to the connected handset. If she has another PSTN phone connected, both will ring on a PSTN call, and either handset may answer.

Wazzaf

Post by Wazzaf » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:01 am

Hi JasonM and Dazzled
Thanks for responding, appreciated.
OK will try and explain as best I can

On the back of the modem am using Port1 and in the configuration in the modem under voice/sip basic section/ registration information Phone 1 have used the VOIP phone number and in the boxes to dial Phone 2 PSTN phone all boxes blank

In the modem PSTN control settings the ringtone is set to Australia and prefix digits are ## .

If we call a 10 digit ordinary house phone number from the house phone using ## then you can only get an engaged signal.
If we call a mobile number from the house phone using ## then you can only get an engaged signal.

If I call the VOIP Number from my mobile is connects OK
If I call the Telstra house phone number from my mobile you get a ringing tone but on the actual house you get nothing ie it doesnt ring.

Any ideas?

Regards

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:12 am

I have this kit and recall that ## override is buggy.

Under "PSTN Phone Number" I would input all specific 'Telstra mobile' numbers that your daughter calls then click 'apply'.

I use this to take advantage of 25c rate for 13/1300 calls via Exetel PTSN compared with 30c VoIP rates by inputting 13XXXX and 13XXXXXXXX
Last edited by Ravenous on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:21 am

Wazzaf wrote:If I call the Telstra house phone number from my mobile you get a ringing tone but on the actual house you get nothing ie it doesnt ring
Ensure that from your splitter that the cable from "Phone" connects into "PTSN" and that the other cable from "ADSL" connects into "DSL".

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:24 am

Re that bug - I think it depends on how you make the call. If I press the call/answer button on a Panasonic handset to hear a tone before dialling, the result can be an engaged signal. If I dial the number with ## in front (as a dial plan does), and then press the call button, it works.

The ring tone on a PSTN to PSTN call can sound more muffled than the VoIP to PSTN version. The Dynalink gives a high pitched tone when picked up in VoIP mode, while the handset reverts to the standard Telstra burr if the ATA is in the pass-through state.

Wazzaf

Post by Wazzaf » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:20 am

Many thanks to all for your help.

Think we have fixed it now.

@Ravenous , you nailed it. I did not have a cable from the Splitter to the PSTN Port on the modem. Feel a bit siily now as it seems so obvious.

Maybe in the guidelines there should be a diagram or photos of all of the cable connections. I did remember only use Phone 1 port from a comment Dazzled helped me with previously but this is not in the setup guide.

Again thanks, I am happy now. :D :D :D

Another of lifes little mysteries solved

Cheers

sarasvasti

Post by sarasvasti » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi guys, bit late in the piece I know but i've just configured my modem for VOIP and PSTN use (was previously VOIP only) and just wanted to add for anyone's future reference that my uniden phone is the same as what dazzled said re the panasonic handset - i.e. for PSTN if i dial the prefix and phone number "then" hit the call button, no probs but if i hit the call button first to get a dial tone "then" dial the prefix and phone number, i get an engaged signal. thanks for the tip dazzled :)