X-Lite setup documentation correction/addition

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
PM

X-Lite setup documentation correction/addition

Post by PM » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:50 pm

A few weeks ago I setup VOIP on a laptop and wasted a couple of dollars on failed connections. Unlike standard PSTN calls, it seems that you are charged the call rate even if the remote number is not answered (picked up). At least I was, in my most recent VOIP bill. Anyway, not the end of the world, but shouldn't be like that?

When I did "connect" I was unable to negotiate a successful audio connection. There was either an audio issue incoming or outgoing. I gave up believing that VOIP was a waste of space, and was glad I hadn't signed up to a monthly minimum cost, or that Exetel required one.

The other day I stumbled across a post in the VOIP forum from March 2010 by "pasanm", advising to disable two of the three default codecs installed during setup, and only use the G711 aLaw codec.
This advice fixed my audio and connection issues.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=35534

Can I suggest this piece of VITAL INFORMATION be included in the setup guide PDF for the X-Lite Soft Phone?
http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_setup.php and https://www.exetel.com.au/hspa/voip_set ... ink=link08
It may just save others from the negative experience I had.

Cheers,

Paul

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: X-Lite setup documentation correction/addition

Post by Dazzled » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks for drawing attention to this again Paul. It's an X-Lite thing rather than a softphone thing (there are quite a few others, both paid for and free), but it should be noted in the X-Lite specific help sheet. I'll refer the thread to Exetel.

PM

Post by PM » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Dazzled wrote:Thanks for drawing attention to this again Paul. It's an X-Lite thing rather than a softphone thing (there are quite a few others, both paid for and free), but it should be noted in the X-Lite specific help sheet. I'll refer the thread to Exetel.
No Probs "Dazzled". An easy fix to a major issue that initially soured my foray into VOIP. After removing the other two CODECS, I spoke to my brother for 55 mins. Hobart to Port Maquarie. Worked well, except a fair bit of cutting in and out. Likely due to HSPA network issues at night in peak time. Probably would be near perfect most other times.

Cheers.

Paul

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:57 pm

VoIP is very dependent on upload speed, say round about 256 kbps and up, or you are likely to have voice breakups. The internet protocol used to transfer the codified data has no error correction ability at either end. G.711 uses 64 kbps in each direction.

ATAs use the proprietary G.729 codec, for only 8 kbps, so there is more leeway if there are temporary bandwidth problems.